Instant Pot Aura Multi-Use Programmable Slow Cooker
More than a yogurt maker
A multi-cooking pot at heart, this useful appliance can help you make organic yogurt and cook delicious meals for your loved ones.
1 Instant Pot Aura Review
Making yogurt at home is nice and all, but what if you also need an instant pot? Keeping two appliances on your countertop is not always practical, especially if you’re short on space. And this is where the Instant Pot Aura steps in.
Designed to make much more than yogurt, this multi-use slow cooker is perfect for lots of recipes. You can use it to make stews and casseroles, roast beef or chicken, boil rice, or bake delicious pies. Among other things, that is.
As far as yogurt making is concerned, the Aura pot lets you make 6-quart batches at a time. It doesn’t come with jars, but you could either use your own or prepare a large batch and then pour it into jars when it’s ready.
A digital control panel and a removable non-stick tray add further value—an excellent choice for the passionate home chef.
MVPower Yogurt Maker with 8 Glass Jars
Best for the money
A versatile yogurt machine you can use to make individual servings or various flavors of yogurt at a time.
2 MVPower Review
If you don’t want to make a large quantity of only one type of yogurt or want to use individual jars for hassle-free serving, the MVPower Yogurt Machine could be ideal.
It has a smaller overall capacity than our best-in-class, but the nice thing is that it can make 8 jars of yogurt at a time. This feature comes in handy for no-frills breakfast serving or if you want to make various types of yogurt.
A longer time setting of up to 48 hours adds further value, giving you the possibility to incubate various active cultures. Furthermore, the yogurt maker has an intelligent timing control and voice prompt when the yogurt is ready.
We also like that the 180ml jars are made of glass, have a wide opening, and come with convenient caps.
Euro Cuisine YM80 Yogurt Maker
Smaller but less expensive
A great best-value alternative if you want to make several jars of yogurt but shop on a lower budget.
3 Euro Cuisine YM80 Review
The Euro Cuisine YM80 is not the most technologically advanced yogurt maker out there, but it’s cheaper than our best value and still makes a lot of yogurts.
Perhaps the main difference is that it comes with only 7 jars instead of eight, which means 180ml less yogurt. Already preset, it makes your yogurt in up to 10 hours, depending on the thickness desired.
It won’t turn off automatically, but a timer on the side will give you an indication on your yogurt’s status. Very simple to use and great for the not-so-tech-savvy home cooks, this yogurt maker has all it takes to make making yogurt a hassle-free process.
Dash Bulk SY101BLU Yogurt Maker Machine
Best for small kitchens
This compact 1-liter yogurt maker is easy to use and compact enough to fit a small kitchen.
4 Dash Bulk SY101BLU Review
If you don’t really care about individual jars, but want a cheap and compact bulk yogurt maker, this one from Dash could be the right one. It fits wonderfully in a small kitchen, and it’s very easy to use even by beginners.
All you have to do is pour some fresh milk, add a spoon of yogurt, and turn on the unit. The yogurt maker will do its trick and give you fresh yogurt in about 8 to 12 hours.
The bucket is made from BPA-free plastic, and it’s a bit less resistant and not so aesthetic as glass. Nevertheless, this compact unit is even compacter when not in use, it’s easy to store, and it’s perfect for anyone on a budget.
Best Yogurt Maker 2021 Buying Guide
Yogurt maker types
If you love to start your day with a delicious yogurt, a yogurt maker could be a must-have addition to your kitchen. However, you must first decide what type of yogurt maker to buy. There are essentially three types you can choose from:
- Manual yogurt makers: Are double walled pots designed for making yogurt from milk and yogurt cultures. However, there is nothing automatic in the process. They usually work with hot water; the process is rather laborious and the results could be inconsistent, especially if you’re not an expert. However, these yogurt makers are cheap.
- Semi-automatic yogurt makers: Combine the benefits of an automatic yogurt maker with those of a manual one. These appliances require you to use warm milk and yogurt, but once you add the mixture into the machine, it will do everything else for you with minimal supervision. Most semi-automatic units have timers that ensure excellent results over and over again.
- Automatic yogurt makers: Also called electric yogurt makers, they are appliances designed to make your life easier. All you have to do is add cold milk and yogurt cultures or plain yogurt into the pot/s, give them a stir, and push the on button. Various functions including a timer and often an automatic switch-off will ensure that your yogurt is prepared to perfection. Undoubtedly, these are the best yogurt makers if you want a hassle-free experience.
Yogurt maker capacity
Once you decided which style of yogurt maker to buy, you must also asses its capacity. Yogurt makers can vary in capacity from about 1 liter (a quart) to 2 liters (half a gallon) or more.
While you should make a decision based on how many members there are in your family, you can go for a bigger unit even if you’re single or preparing yogurt just for two. Indeed, homemade yogurt can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 12 days, so making a larger batch at a time could be save you time and money.
A large container or serving-sized jars?
A quick look at the yogurt makers on the market will reveal two kinds of appliances; one with a large, single-batch container and a type of yogurt makers with individual-sized jars.
- Single container yogurt makers: Are a great choice if you are used to consume a lot of yogurt in one sitting. For instance, if you have a big family and all members have yogurt for breakfast, making a large batch in a bigger pot means less stuff to clean when the meal is over.
- Serving-sized jar yogurt makers: Come in handy if you want to store some of the yogurts. These jars usually have a capacity of about 180ml (6oz) and come with lids, so you can refrigerate the yogurt directly in serving-sized containers. They are also a great choice if you want to prepare different yogurt flavors at a time.
There is a fine line between smooth, creamy yogurt and a too acidic one. That’s why respecting the preparation time is crucial. Most yogurt makers come with timers designed to monitor the process and alert you or turn off the machine when the yogurt is ready.
How long does it take to make yogurt?
It really depends on the machine you use and the type of yogurt you want to make. Some appliances can make yogurt in under 5 hours. However, the results may be unsatisfactory.
Indeed, plain yogurt usually requires between 8 and 10 hours of fermentation. Keep it in the yogurt maker for longer, and it may become too acidic.
Greek yogurt usually needs more time for the cultures to develop properly. Regardless of what type of yogurt you make, keep in mind that the best yogurt makers come with automatic shut off function developed to end the incubation cycle on time.
Another essential thing to check is the quality of the materials involved, especially of the pot or jars.
Most pots are made from glass, a material that doesn’t release any toxic compounds when exposed to high heat. Glass is also more resistant than plastic, thus a wiser choice if you want to use the appliance for a long time.
Plastic is also a common material, but make sure it’s BPA free, especially if you’re also making yogurt for the kids.
Improper cleaning of your yogurt maker or its components might spoil your next batch. That’s why it is essential to invest in a machine that’s easy to clean.
Ideally, you should be able to wash the pots and lids in the dishwasher. If the unit comes with single-serving jars, make sure their mouth is wide enough to allow for thorough cleaning of their interior.
The machine should also be easy to wipe clean whenever needed.
Other features to consider
Besides all the above, there are a few other things you should weigh in before buying:
- Temperature settings: While most units come with various time settings, the best yogurt makers also have separate temperature settings. They are important if you want to create special types of yogurt in a controlled environment.
- Indicator light: It lets you know if the unit is working or not. It may come in handy especially if your yogurt maker has an auto shut-off function, as you won’t open the lid too soon.
- Timer display: An upgrade to the indicator light, a timer display will also tell you how long you have to wait until your batch is ready.
- Recipe books: Accessories, such as recipe booklets, bring further value for money, and they can inspire you to try new yogurt recipes.
- Extra functions: Some yogurt makers can also be used to make soft cheese or vegetarian yogurt. If you’d like to use the unit for making more than just plain or Greek yogurt, make sure that it comes with all accessories and functions you might need.