All 33 Space Heaters We Recommend
Best Electric Space Heaters
Electric space heaters are the first thing people look for when searching for a new heater for their home. They come in a variety of sizes and designs and include both convection and radiant heat models. No matter what model you like, an electric space heater offers a quick and easy way to take the edge off a cold day. From floor to wall-mounted options, they suit most homeowners.
Best space heater for: small to mid-sized rooms, offices, workshops
Best Large Room Space Heaters
The electric space heater category above includes a wide range of models, some of which are perfect for large rooms. Alternatively, you could get a propane one. Regardless of the type of heater you want to buy, all space heaters for large rooms share a few features, such as high BTU and adjustable heat output. Before buying, check the noise level and fuel/energy consumptions, as some of them are quite loud while others could be expensive to run.
Best space heater for: large rooms and hallways, open-space offices, shops
Dr. Infrared Heater DR968
Best Electric Fireplaces
Do you want more than just heat? An electric fireplace could easily suit your needs. These heaters add high aesthetic value to your living space. Energy-efficient and relatively cheap to run, but they usually have lower heat output.
Best space heater for: living rooms, family rooms, home offices
PuraFlame Alice 40
Best Infrared Heaters
If you’d rather pay a higher premium for lower running costs, the infrared heaters could be the best choice for small and big rooms alike. They’re quiet and energy-efficient, too, but perhaps not the best choice for buyers on a tight budget.
Best space heater for: nurseries, bedrooms
Air Choice TRUSTECH
Air Choice 80B
Best Oil Heaters
While the infrared heaters may be quiet yet expensive, the oil heaters come as an alternative for people on a budget. Their greatest highlight is the outstanding heat retention that makes them cheap to operate, too. We also like the fanless, radiant heat they provide. Since there is no fan to move the air around, the oil heaters are perfect for people with allergies.
Best space heater for: bedrooms, nurseries, people with allergies
Best Outdoor Heaters
Most of the electric heaters described until now are more suitable for indoor rather than outdoor use. But this doesn’t mean that you have to freeze in your yard or on a worksite. Manufactured specifically for outdoor use, the heaters in this category let you use your patio long after the leaves have started to fall. They usually use propane as fuel, and some can also be used in covered porches. Keep in mind, though, that some may need constant supervision and can pose a fire hazard.
Best space heater for: gardens, patios, worksites
Best Garage Heaters
Similar to the outdoor heaters in terms of power and size, they use either electricity or kerosene to ensure higher heat output and efficient heating of icy environments, but running such a heater is usually expensive. Models vary from freestanding to wall-mounted.
Best space heater for: home garage, industrial halls, large workshops
Mr. Heater F260550
Comfort Zone CZ260ER
Dr. Heater DR966
Best Portable Heaters
Small, lightweight heaters that can be easily moved from one place to another. A compact footprint makes them suitable for very small spaces.
Best space heater for: small rooms, log cabins, RVs
Mr. Heater MH9BX
Best Propane Heaters
We mentioned propane as a fuel for the outdoor heaters, but the truth is that indoor heaters can use propane, too. Before getting such a model, remember that they could release carbon monoxide. For this reason, you should make sure the model you want features clean burning and that you’re using the heater in well ventilated spaces.
Best space heater for: garages, home, camping and tailgating
Mr. Heater F271390
Mr. Heater F299730
Mr. Heater MH18B
Best Ceramic Heaters
Ceramic heaters are a kind of electric heaters that provide instant heat and are perfect for small rooms. Heat retention is poor, but the surface of these heaters typically stays cool to touch. Not as effective as infrared heaters, but cheaper to buy.
Best space heater for: small bedrooms and bathrooms, nurseries, households with small children
TRUSTECH Space Heater
Best Baseboard Heaters
Minimalist and discreet, these heaters maintain a low profile that doesn’t interfere with the room’s aesthetics, but they need a dedicated circuit to supply power for proper functionality.
Best space heater for: using instead of a central heating system
Best Electric Space Heater
With electricity and wall outlets available in most homes, these heaters can suit most purposes. They come in all sizes, delivering either convection or radiant heat. They are also easy to use and pose little to no hazards. With this in mind, here’s what you should check before buying.
- Energy efficiency: To prevent your energy bills from skyrocketing, get an energy-effective model. Compare the models and get the one with the lowest watts that can still output the heat level you need.
- Noise level: Fanless heaters, such as those using radiant technology, are a more appropriate choice if you want to keep noise levels low.
- Cool to touch: Whether you have kids, pets, or live alone, this feature will prevent accidents and unwanted injuries.
- Auto-off function: Turns off the unit automatically if the internal temperature rises above a threshold or in case of blackouts.
Best Electric Space Heater Reviews of 2021
Dyson AM09 61874-01 Hot + Cool Jet Focus Fan Heater
Best electric heater
Its unique, patented technology projects effective heating and cooling in rooms of all sizes.
1 Dyson AM09 Review
Are you tired of switching appliances at each change of season? Then check out the Dyson AM09 electric fan heater. As its name suggests, this unit is designed to heat your room in winter and keep you cool in summer, for effective year-round use.
In-line with the other innovative products from the brand, the Dyson AM09 is energy-effective and very safe. Its surface remains cool to touch even on the highest heat setting, while no exposed fan blades mean that it is safe for everyone, including kids and pets.
We particularly like the intelligent thermostat that allows you to set and maintain the desired temperature level. This feature enhances energy efficiency, and you’ll always have a pleasant warmth in your room.
Sure, you’ll have to pay for all these features, but if you don’t mind a hefty price tag, this is the best electric heater around.
Lasko FH500 Fan & Space Heater 42 Inch Combo Tower
Best value for money
Space-saving design but lots of power makes it suitable for rooms of all sizes.
2 Lasko FH500 Review
If Dyson’s price tag is out of your reach, but you’d still like a fan and heater combo to use all year round, then you might like the Lasko FH500. Design-wise, it might not be the most attractive; nevertheless, it impresses with a compact footprint and high heat capacity, two features that makes it perfect for smaller as well as bigger spaces.
Powered by a 1,500-watt ceramic core, this oscillating heater can keep you toasty throughout the winter thanks to three heat modes. Furthermore, we like the combination fan and heater mode that heats the room faster.
While some people might find it a bit noisy, others might like the sound of the fan that produces a relaxing white noise – just perfect for a bedroom. Furthermore, the unit is simple to operate from an intuitive control panel.
Safety features include a cool-touch housing, overheat protection, and auto shut-off if the unit is tipped over. Affordable for what it is, this is the best electric heater your money can buy.
TRUSTECH PTC903 1500W Portable Space Heater
Best electric heater for low budgets
Very compact dimensions make it perfect to use at home or in an RV, but it’s not your best bet for bigger rooms.
3 TRUSTECH PTC903 Review
If you’re looking for a small electric heater to warm up a small room or an office cubicle, the TRUSTECH PTC903 might be it. In a world where almost everything is digital and technologic, this heater strikes with its simplicity.
Traditional dials rather than a digital control panel make it equally easy to use by Baby Boomers, Millennials, and GenZers alike.
Three heat settings and an adjustable thermostat allow you to reach the desired temperature fast and maintain it without hassle, while tip over and overheat protection add a layer of safety.
Small, compact, and portable, the TRUSTECH PTC903 is not a good choice for ample spaces, but it’s ideal for small rooms, RVs, and even for keeping warm a small greenhouse or shed.
Best Space Heater for Large Rooms
Whether electric or gas-fueled, these heaters impress with high heat output. Measure the size of your room and match it with the unit’s BTU output to make sure the unit you want can truly heat up the entire space.
- Fuel options: Electric heaters are undoubtedly the most popular; they are safe to use indoors and intuitive to turn on and operate. Alternatively, you could opt for propane heaters, which could be cheaper to run but come with more hazards.
- Calculate wattage: When you have to heat a large space, the watt output can tell you whether the heater can serve its purpose. As a rule of thumb, you need 10 watts of power per square feet.
- Technology: If you decide to go for an electric heater, decide between convection and radiant heat. Convection heaters heat the air rather than the objects and are great for larger rooms. On the contrary, radiant heaters – such as infrared ones – are more suitable for smaller spaces.
- Thermostat: Big heaters consume more energy than smaller ones, regardless of their energy-saving rating. A thermostat can help you save on your bills by simply turning off the unit when the temperature in the room has reached the desired level.
Best Space Heater for Large Rooms Reviews of 2021
Dyson AM09 Hot + Cool Jet Focus Electric Fan Heater
Perfect for all seasons
A space heater and powerful fan in one can keep you warm in winter and cool in the summertime.
1 Dyson AM09 Review
Have you had enough of the expensive central heating and A/C cooling systems? Then it’s about time to get yourself a Dyson AM09 – the same one we already talked about. This fan and heater in one is a versatile, whisper-quiet device that can heat up big rooms in the blink of an eye.
Its greatest highlight is the patented Air Multiplier technology that creates a powerful airflow. Not only can it send a powerful stream to all corners of your room, but a built-in thermostat will also maintain the selected temperature.
Intelligent technologies include no exposed heating elements. The heater stays cool-to-touch and is more than suitable for households with kids or pets. Powerful and multifunctional, this is undeniably the best space heater for large rooms you can buy.
Cadet 67527 Com-Pak Twin 4000W Large Room Electric Wall Heater with Thermostat
Capable and affordable
An efficient and affordable wall heater suitable for large living rooms, entryways, and halls.
2 Cadet 67527 Review
The Cadet 67527 might not be the right heater for large bedrooms due to its louder operation, but it’s definitely perfect for your larger living spaces. We particularly like its wall-mounted design that can save you loads of floor space.
Its dual coil elements and upflow design for increased air circulation deliver fast heating of the air. Furthermore, you can choose from models with or without thermostat.
This space heater isn’t the most appealing in terms of style, but it’s efficient, durable, and affordable. Warming up areas up to 600 square feet, it surely brings true bang for the buck.
Dr. Infrared Heater DR968D Portable Space Heater
A cheap alternative
This efficient infrared heater can get you warm fast, even in the colder months.
3 Dr. Infrared Heater DR968 Review
Heating a large room without spending too much is possible, thanks to Dr. Infrared Heater DR968. As its name suggests, it uses infrared technology to transfer heat to objects rather than the air.
Allegedly, it can deliver 60% more heat than a convection heater. That’s debatable, but we can’t argue that it’s more effective than your average electric heater.
We also like its cabinet style with caster wheels that allow you to easily move it from one room to another. A programmable timer and intuitive control panel are other highlights—all in all, an excellent choice for people on a budget.
Best Electric Fireplace
Aesthetically appealing, electric fireplaces can bring coziness into your home. They are a great choice for a living room or bedroom, as well as commercial premises. Check out the following factor before buying.
- BTU: The thermal units are important on all heaters, but a crucial factor when choosing an electric fireplace. Most brands focus on aesthetics rather than functionality, so if you want a fireplace that can truly keep you warm on a cold day, make sure its heat output matches the size of your room.
- Style: Consider the overall style of your room to decide what type of electric fireplace works best in your space. Options include fireplace inserts, freestanding and wall-mounted units, as well as fireplace stoves.
- Operating costs: Unlike standard space heaters, electric fireplaces also feature lights and sometimes moving elements that add up to the aesthetic factor. All these extras consume energy, so if you want to keep operating costs low, pick a model with LED technology.
- Fire without heat: If you live in a warmer climate area and don’t want to give up the idea of a fireplace, consider a model that allows you to turn on the flame effect without turning on the heat.
Best Electric Fireplace Reviews of 2021
PuraFlame Alice 40 1500W Recessed Electric Fireplace Heater
Best electric fireplace
Realistic flame effect and several customization options bring unrivaled aesthetic value.
1 PuraFlame Alice 40 Review
Longing for a fireplace but don’t want to spend too much time and resources on maintenance? The PuraFlame Alice 40 could be the answer to your needs. This electric fireplace combines aesthetic value with unrivaled heating capabilities, two features that make it perfect for larger spaces.
Boasting a wall-recessed design, it impresses with three flame colors and two fuel arrangements. You can choose between logs or crystals to create either real or mystical effects.
Two heat settings bring further value. You can easily operate the fireplace from the comfort of your couch, thanks to remote control. Fitting seamlessly in modern home décor, this is the best electric fireplace you can get.
Duraflame 3D DFI-5010 Infrared Electric Fireplace Stove with Remote Control
Best portable fireplace
Rustic wood stove design makes it perfect for traditional and modern interiors alike.
2 Duraflame DFI-5010 Review
If you’re looking for the coziness and warmth of a real fireplace, check out the Duraflame DFI-5010. More than a fireplace, this electric stove fits perfectly in all environments, despite its rustic look.
Its greatest feature is the standalone design that allows you to simply move it from one room to another.
We also like the patented 3D flame effect, as well as the infrared quartz element. The heat output is not outstanding, but it’s still perfect for rooms up to 1,000 square feet. In other words, a great choice for most people.
R.W.FLAME 30 Inch Recessed and Wall Mounted Electric Fireplace
Best for small rooms
Wall-mounted or recessed installation options make it perfect for all homes.
3 R.W.FLAME 30 Review
Similar to our best-in-class, the R.W.FLAME 30 is a modern, wall-mounted electric fireplace, but it’s designed for smaller spaces. It provides both aesthetic value and heat in rooms up to 400 square feet.
What makes it stand out is the multi-operating mode that allows you to pick from 12 flame styles, various bed colors, as well as five flame speeds and brightness modes. The effect is not as realistic as PuraFlame’s, but you’ll still get a cozy fireplace feel.
We also like the slim profile that looks better when mounted directly on a wall and not in recessed style. The control panel is simple and intuitive, while two heat options let you choose between no-frills warmth or energy efficiency. No doubt, a great pick for a smaller budget.
Best Infrared Heater
Perhaps the best type of electric heater for those who want to save a buck in the long run, infrared heaters impress with low operating costs. Unlike convection heaters, they don’t heat the air but the objects in the room – more or less like the sun heats the ground. For this reason, you’ll feel the heat almost instantly as long as you’re facing the appliance.
- Purpose: To make sure the heat output matches the size of the room, measure your space before buying. If you plan to move the appliance from one room to another as needed, make sure the heater you want matches the size of the biggest room you plan to use it in.
- Timer function: Infrared heaters are designed to save you money, but you can save even more with a timer that can turn the unit off after a set period of time.
- Warranty: Using advanced technologies, infrared heaters are often more sensitive than the convection kind. Thus, a longer warranty can save you loads in case of malfunctions.
- Oscillation: This function directs the infrared radiation at different angles, for more efficient heating of your room.
Best Infrared Heater Reviews of 2021
Air Choice TRUSTECH 1500W Infrared Space Heater
Perfect for all rooms
Moisture-resistant construction and two installation options make it perfect even for the bathroom.
1 Air Choice TRUSTECH Review
Finding an electric heater you can use in the kitchen or bathroom could be tricky. But luckily, you can just choose the Air Choice TRUSTECH. This powerful infrared space heater is perfect for mid-sized rooms and boasts a wealth of features.
What makes it stand out is the moisture-resistant design. It boasts a waterproof on/off button and an easy-to-operate digital control panel.
Two installation options let you choose from freestanding on the floor or mounted on a wall. We also like the four heat settings as well as the 120-degree oscillation that helps you heat your space in no time. Suitable for all rooms, it is your best bet despite its higher price tag.
De’Longhi HMP1500 Mica Thermic Panel Infrared Heater
Best portable infrared heater
Multiple heat settings and adjustable temperature deliver customized comfort.
2 De’Longhi HMP1500 Review
Relatively compact but truly powerful, the De’Longhi HMP1500 is a versatile infrared heater for your home. Designed with portability in mind, this thermic panel heater is light and feature caster wheels for easy moving.
Two heat settings and an adjustable thermostat also make it suitable for smaller and larger spaces alike. Outputting a max of 1,500 watts, it’s an excellent choice for rooms up to 300 square feet.
The heater is also outstanding in terms of looks. It has sleek, stylish lines that fit in every room, and if you don’t have floor space, you can simply remove the wheels and mount it on a wall. No matter your choice, you’ll surely be able to enjoy quick heat and low running costs.
Air Choice 80B Portable Infrared Radiant Space Heater
Best small infrared heater
Compact infrared heater is perfect for smaller spaces, including bedrooms, kids’ rooms, and RVs.
3 Air Choice 80B Review
The Air Choice 80B comes as an alternative to the other infrared heaters on this list, suiting both small spaces and people on a budget. It’s small enough to fit in an RV – or even to use in a tent, should you pair it with a power generator.
Despite its size, it impresses with high heat output. Two heat settings and plenty of safety features are other highlights. You can expect automatic shutoff in case of overheating or tip over. The unit also stays cool to touch, so it’s safe to use around children.
Capable of heating you in a matter of seconds, portable, and affordable, this is one of the best infrared heaters if you don’t want to break the bank.
Best Oil Heater
Oil heaters are the most cumbersome space heaters for home use. They are relatively big and have little aesthetic value. However, they are effective, cheap to run, and even cheaper to buy. As their name suggests, they are filled with oil – a liquid that preserves heat and slowly transfers it to the environment after you’ve turned off the appliance. The oil doesn’t have to be changed, so they require little to no maintenance.
- Heat retention: The main advantage of oil heaters is that they can retain heat for a long time after you’ve turned them off. If this is your main purpose, steel units will retain heat for longer and are more durable than aluminum ones.
- Type: Depending on your needs, you can pick from wall-mounted units, freestanding models with legs, or wheeled models you can move from one room to another.
- Heat controls: Most oil heaters have a traditional design with on/off knob. However, some units also feature adjustable heat levels – a function that helps you save even more.
- Heating time: Oil-filled heaters may take some time to heat up, which could be a drawback. If you don’t want to spend too much time in a cold room after getting back home, check the various models, and pick one that can heat up relatively fast.
Best Oil Heater Reviews of 2021
Aikoper NY1507-17QR 1500W Oil Filled Radiator Space Heater
Best oil heater
Three heat settings and a digital thermostat help you find the right balance between heat output and energy consumption.
1 Aikoper NY1507-17QR Review
If you need a silent heater for your bedroom, the Aikoper Space Heater NY1507-17QR might be it. This oil filled radiator is all about efficiency. It features three heat modes as well as an adjustable thermostat with eco mode.
One of its best features is the outstanding heat retention. It will keep your room warm long after it’s turned off, minimizing energy consumption.
We also like the 24-hour timer that makes it easy to set the running time. Since it has no fan, it’s also very silent – just perfect for your sleeping spaces.
The heater boasts an intuitive control panel and comes with remote control. It’s also easy to move from one room to another, and overall, it’s a perfect choice if you need a very silent electric heater or suffer from allergies.
PELONIS 2019 Oil Filled Radiator Portable Space Heater
Best for the money
With an application area of 164 square feet, this oil filled radiator is perfect for small to mid-sized rooms.
2 PELONIS 2019 Review
Like the Aikoper, the PELONIS 2019 is a great choice for noiseless heating or people with allergies. In terms of features and performance, the two heaters are very much alike. However, the finishing details and aesthetics look better on our best-in-class.
That said, you can still expect three heat settings, a thermostat with eco mode, as well as a 10-hour timer. Power indicator lights will let you know when the unit is on, while a tip-over switch will turn it off if inclined at angles higher than 30 degrees.
Easy to operate from a distance thanks to the remote control and easy to move around your home, this is the best oil heater for the money.
AmazonBasics NY1507-15K Indoor Portable Radiator Heater
Best cheap oil radiator
Analog controls make it easy to operate, even by users who don’t like digital control panels.
3 AmazonBasics NY1507-15K Review
The AmazonBasics NY1507-15K doesn’t come with the bells and whistles present on our other picks. Nevertheless, it does what it’s supposed to do brilliantly, and it comes at a price that won’t break the bank.
With analog rather than digital controls, it’s easy to operate by most people. There is no remote control, either, but it does come with a thermostat that allows you to maintain the desired temperature level without hassle.
Simplistic in function and design but cheap, this oil filled radiator is perfect for smaller rooms.
Best Outdoor Heater
Throwing a garden party, enjoying a camping trip, or working outdoors in winter doesn’t have to mean freezing to death. An outdoor heater can save you from frostbites, but there are a few things to consider before getting one.
- Fuel type: Like garage heaters, outdoor heaters can be fueled by electricity, propane, or natural gas. Propane is your best bet if you need an ultra-portable unit; electric outdoor heaters are great for semi-enclosed spaces or tents, while natural gas ones can save you money in the long run if you have a natural gas outlet in your yard or worksite.
- Safety tilt switch: Turns off the heater or prevents ignition if the unit is tilted or placed on an uneven surface.
- Dome design: You can choose from single-dome and 3-dome outdoor heaters. The former radiate heat in only one direction, while the latter in three different directions rather than just one.
- Portability: Not all outdoor heaters are portable, and sometimes you might not need portability features either. Choices include wall-mounted, freestanding, tabletop, and portable units that come either with wheels or carrying handles.
Best Outdoor Heater Reviews of 2021
Hiland HLDSO1-WGTHG Pyramid Patio Propane Heater
Best patio heater
Aesthetically appealing outdoor heater is an ideal choice for patios and terraces.
1 Hiland HLDSO1-WGTHG Review
Enjoying your backyard or terrace doesn’t have to stop when the summer ends. No matter how big or small your outdoor space is, the Hiland HLDSO1-WGTHG is undeniably the best outdoor heater to get your hands on.
Not only it heats a radius of 10 square feet, but it also looks gorgeous. The pyramid design fits seamlessly into a modern garden style, attracting glances of admiration from your neighbors.
Working on 20-lb propane cylinders, the heater is also portable. Outputting up to 40,000 BTU, it runs up to 10 hours on a single tank. Heating in every direction, visually appealing, and relatively easy to carry, this outdoor heater is perfect for most purposes.
AmazonBasics 61825 Commercial Propane 46,000 BTU Outdoor Patio Heater with Wheels
Best for most yards
A heat range up to 18 feet in diameter and adjustable flame make it perfect for smaller and larger spaces alike.
2 AmazonBasics 61825 Review
Cheaper than our best-in-class but more powerful, the AmazonBasics 61825 brings outstanding heat efficiency.
This propane patio heater is an excellent choice for larger spaces, warming an area up to 18 feet in diameter. A great alternative to a fire pit, it’s made from polished stainless steel and comes with convenient mobility wheels.
The temperature is adjustable, while the Piezo igniter makes it a breeze to start. From a visual standpoint, it may not be as beautiful as the Hiland, but the mushroom shape is still appealing. You can even choose from a range of finishes, including contemporary slate grey and whicker.
Outputting up to 46,000 BTU, easy to move, and perfect for warming your outdoors in winter, it is the best choice for most people.
SURJUNY Electric Outdoor Infrared Patio Heater
Best electric outdoor heater
This wall-mounted heater is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use.
3 SURJUNY Electric Review
If you only want to warm up a smaller outdoor space, the SURJUNY Electric Outdoor Heater comes as an alternative to our best-in-class and best-value picks.
Its greatest highlight is the wall-mounted design, as well as the suitability to use in both open and enclosed spaces. The only thing to keep in mind is that it’s not fully waterproof, but only water-resistant.
In other words, you can use it outdoors as long as you keep it out of the rain. That said, the unit is easy to operate and performing. An excellent choice if you want a safer option for a semi-enclosed space.
Best Garage Heater
Whether you want to use your garage as a workshop or just love spending time with your car, a garage heater can help you enjoy this space even when the temperatures drop. You can pick from a wide range of electric or gas-powered heaters, but make sure the model you want comes with the following features.
- Adjustable louvers: Allow you to direct the heat where you want it without moving the entire unit.
- Wall mounting: It doesn’t matter how big your garage is; a wall-mounted heater will never get in your way.
- Power rating: Garages usually have poor insulation, that’s why a garage heater should have higher power than a regular space heater. As a rule of thumb, go for a unit with at least 4,000-5,000 watts.
- Clean fuel burning: If you decide to get a gas-powered heater, make sure it is designed for indoor use.
Best Garage Heater Reviews of 2021
Mr. Heater F260550 Big Maxx MHU50NG Natural Gas Unit Heater
Best industrial heater
Running on natural gas, this garage heater can warm up to 1,250 square feet in no time.
1 Mr. Heater F260550 Review
Perfect for industrial garages and halls, the Mr. Heater F260550 appeals to those who want to warm very large spaces effortlessly. It runs on natural gas, an awesome option capable of saving you loads of bucks in the long run. However, it might not be suitable for garages or warehouses in remote locations.
That said, as long as access to a gas pipe is not an issue, this garage heater can easily satisfy you.
The unit outputs 50,000 BTU, heating over 1,000 square feet. It can be mounted either vertically or horizontally, on the ceiling or on a wall. Operation is not the simplest, but it comes with a thermostat. And you can even convert it to run on propane. All in all, one of your best bets for industrial or commercial purposes.
Comfort Zone CZ260ER 10,000-Watt Fan-Forced Industrial Heater
Best electric garage heater
An industrial-grade ceiling heater for home and industrial garages.
2 Comfort Zone CZ260ER Review
The Comfort Zone CZ260ER comes as an alternative to our best-in-class if you’re looking for an electric garage heater. It’s big and capable, heating up a similar surface as our gas-powered selection.
Requiring hardwire connection to a 240-volt circuit, it is a suitable choice if you don’t care about mobility.
Like most electric heaters, the unit is easy to operate and features a digital control panel. Variable heat output and built-in thermostat are other highlights. Ideal for both home and commercial use.
Dr. Heater DR966 240-volt Hardwired Shop Garage Commercial Heater
Best small garage heater
Smaller than your average garage heater, but it comes at a fraction of the cost.
3 Dr. Heater DR966 Review
If you’re looking for a smaller heater for your home garage or workshop, check out the Dr. Heater DR966. The unit runs on electricity, and like the Comfort Zone, it requires 240-volt, hardwire installation.
Variable wattage makes it suitable for small to mid-sized garages. Furthermore, we like the straightforward operation – turn the knob to set the temperature and press the on button. A built-in thermostat and dynamical 8-inch fan ensure proper heat maintenance and distribution.
Cheaper than most garage heaters and truly capable, it’s a great choice for individuals and businesses on a budget.
Best Portable Heater
Either you need a heater to move from one room to another or one to heat your tent during your winter outdoor adventures, a portable heater is all you need.
- Dimensions: There is a huge difference between full-size heaters with wheels meant for home use and compact units you can take anywhere. The latter usually have carrying handles, are lightweight, and easy to transport.
- Purpose: Do you want to heat a confined space, or do you need a portable outdoor heater? Outdoor heaters may release more toxic fumes and are not suitable to use indoors or in a tent.
- Maintenance costs: Electric heaters are cheaper to maintain, but not your best bet for camping. Gas-fueled heaters, on the other hand, need regular maintenance.
- Ventilation requirements: You should check this feature if you plan to buy a portable propane heater. Even if the model is designed for indoor use, gas heaters may still require proper ventilation.
Best Portable Heater Reviews of 2021
Dyna-Glo RMC-FA60DGD 60,000 BTU Liquid Propane Forced Air Heater
Best propane forced air heater
High heat output and adjustable heat angle make it perfect for construction sites and outdoor use.
1 Dyna-Glo RMC-FA60DGD Review
Whether you’re looking for the best propane heater for a job site or an alternative to the outdoor heaters mentioned above, the Dyna-Glo RMC-FA60DGD could be a suitable candidate. A variable heat output between 30,000 and 60,000 BTU makes it perfect for spaces up to 1,350 square feet.
But that’s not it! The true advantage of this unit is the adjustable heat angle that allows you to direct the hot air where you need it.
Powered by propane, it works with standard 20-lb tanks and comes with hose and regulator. Easy to transport, the unit is also perfect for winter fishing, hunting, or car camping. Just keep in mind to only use it in properly ventilated spaces.
Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy 9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Propane Radiant Heater
Best portable propane heater
One of the most popular portable heaters among adventurers as well as homeowners.
2 Mr. Heater MH9BX Review
If you need a tent heater or one to use in a wood cabin, the Buddy from Mr. Heater could suit your needs. Running on propane, it outputs 9,000 BTU and is a perfect choice for spaces up to 225 square feet.
Boasting clean combustion, it can be used in both open and enclosed spaces. Ventilation is required. We also like that it incorporates a variety of safety features.
Another thing we like is that it stays cool to touch. An oversized handle makes it easy to transport, and it also comes at a price that won’t break the bank.
GiveBest PCT-905 1500W Portable Electric Space Heater
A low-cost alternative
This portable electric heater is perfect for smaller rooms, a small workshop, or recreational vehicles.
3 GiveBest PCT-905 Review
Moving forward with our selection of portable heaters, the GiveBest PCT-905 appeals to those who don’t want to handle propane tanks. It runs on electricity and features variable heat settings.
Suitable for rooms up to 200 square feet, this ceramic heater boasts a high-speed fan that ensures quick dispersion of heat. Made of flame-retardant material, it also has tip-over and overheat shutoff feature.
This space heater is cheap, compact, and lightweight. It could be too loud for a bedroom, but undeniably perfect for a small living space or RV.
Best Propane Heater
Propane heaters come as an alternative for those who can’t operate an electric heater or electric stove. They are a perfect choice for the outdoors or well ventilated spaces, such as log cabin, garages, or even in a tent. They could be used indoors too, as long as your room is properly ventilated, and only if the manufacturer deems the heater as safe to use indoors to prevent carbon monoxide intoxication.
- Clean burning: Like all gas heaters, propane heaters may release carbon monoxide and could be unsafe for indoor use. To prevent accidents, make sure the model you want features clean burning and has a low level of emissions.
- Ignition: The vast majority of propane heaters feature automatic ignition, but some of the smaller models may require you to ignite the fuel with a match.
- Blower fan: Propane heaters may or may not have a blower fan; a fan speeds up the heating, but if it is too loud, it can easily become annoying.
- Safety shutoff: Turns off the heater if it detects low oxygen levels or if the unit is tripped over.
Best Propane Heater Reviews of 2021
Mr. Heater F271390 125,000 BTU Forced Air Propane Heater
Ideal for the outdoors
A forced air propane heater designed with industrial warehouses and construction sites in mind.
1 Mr. Heater F271390 Review
The Mr. Heater F271390 is similar to the Dyna-Glo RMC-FA60DGD portable heater we already talked of, but it’s more powerful and ideal for larger outdoor spaces.
In terms of performance, expect up to 125,000 BTU, or more than enough to heat up to 4,250 square feet. Low fuel consumption also allows it to run for up to 17 hours on a single 100-lb tank.
The unit is not the most portable out there, but you can move it from worksite to worksite without too much hassle. We also like that it’s quieter than most similar heaters, albeit still too loud to use for leisure purposes.
Mr. Heater forced air propane heater also comes in a smaller as well as a bigger variant, so you can choose the most appropriate one.
Mr. Heater Corporation F299730 30,000 BTU Propane Heater
Best for the money
The blue flame burner and sleek design add visual appeal.
2 Mr. Heater F299730 Review
Propane heaters are often seen as heaters for the outdoors, but some models are perfectly suitable to use indoors, too. A fine example of an indoor propane heater is the Mr. Heater F299730, a unit perfect for larger rooms.
Aesthetically speaking, it can easily compete with an electric fireplace while providing the warmth of a real flame.
Installation options include wall-mounted or freestanding, while a built-in thermostat boosts fuel efficiency while maintaining the temperature at set levels. It won’t work at high altitudes, and you should only use it in well ventilated rooms due to potential carbon monoxide release. With this in mind, it’s a great pick if you’re looking for a more cost-effective alternative to an electric heater.
Mr. Heater MH18B 18,000 BTU Portable Propane Heater
Best portable propane heater
Automatic oxygen level detection shuts off the unit if carbon monoxide levels become unsafe.
3 Mr. Heater MH18B Review
The Mr. Heater Big Buddy is Buddy’s bigger brother, but the two propane heaters share a wealth of common features. From a similar design to suitability to use both indoors and outdoors, the two models are very much alike.
What makes the Big Buddy different is the higher heat output that makes it perfect for spaces up to 450 square feet.
Three heat settings make it perfect to use in smaller and larger rooms alike, while a sturdy handle ensures seamless portability. Like most Mr. Heater propane heaters, the Big Buddy features automatic low oxygen detection shutoff system as well as accidental tip-over shutoff – a great choice if you want a quality heater at a price that won’t break the bank.
Best Ceramic Heater
Ceramic heaters come as an alternative to infrared ones. They are perfect for smaller rooms and are cost-effective. The main difference between infrared and ceramic is that the latter heats the air rather than the objects – a much better choice if you want to maintain the temperature in your room using a thermostat.
- Type: You can choose from tower heaters, wall-mounted or compact, portable models, based on the size of the room you want to heat.
- Noise level: Most ceramic heaters feature blower fans that disperse the heat into the environment. If you want to use a ceramic heater into your bedroom, make sure it comes with a quiet fan.
- Coverage: Since ceramic heaters heat the air rather than the objects, check the wattage or BTU output and see if the one you want can heat your room effortlessly.
- Temperature settings: Go for a heater that comes with various temperature settings as well as a thermostat.
Best Ceramic Heater Reviews of 2021
Lasko 751320 Ceramic Tower Space Heater with Remote Control
Best ceramic tower heater
Tower design and widespread oscillation help spread the heat faster in the whole room.
1 Lasko 751320 Review
The Lasko 751320 is proof that ceramic heaters are not out of fashion. Boasting a stylish design and incorporating new technologies, it is a great choice for rooms up to 300 square feet.
Its greatest feature is the widespread oscillation that helps heat the room faster. Two heat settings and an internal thermostat keep the temperature at comfortable levels, while the 4-hour timer allows you to turn it on and forget it.
We also like the intuitive control panel and the fact that you can easily control it from a distance, thanks to the remote control. Easy to move from one room to another and powerful, it’s a perfect choice for your home or office.
TRUSTECH PTC-1500F Ceramic Electric Portable Space Heater
Best for most homes
Quick heat, adjustable settings, and quiet operation make it a great choice for home use.
2 TRUSTECH Space Heater Review
The TRUSTECH Space Heater might not be the most stylish ceramic heater on the market, but it’s powerful and affordable. Outputting up to 1,500 watts, it is perfect for students, small offices, and smaller living rooms.
Its operation is quiet, but the fan could still disturb you in the bedroom. Like most ceramic heaters, it delivers instant hot airflow, while the thermostat function makes it easy to save on your electricity bills.
The design is simplistic yet functional. You can place it on the floor or on a tabletop, and move it easily thanks to the built-in handle. Multifunctional, you can also use it as a fan throughout the summer. No doubt, a versatile heater at a fraction of the price of the Lasko.
GiveBest PCT-905 1500W Portable Ceramic Space Heater
Best portable ceramic heater
Well designed for safety, this compact heater delivers instant hot air and is perfect for smaller spaces.
3 GiveBest PCT-905 Review
Slightly cheaper than the TRUSTECH but also smaller, the GiveBest PCT-905 is a great choice for small rooms, dorms, and recreational vehicles. Not for nothing, it is our pick as one of the best ceramic heaters as well as best portable heaters on the market.
As mentioned above, this unit is perfect for spaces up to 200 square feet. Like the TRUSTECH, it has two heat settings as well as cool blow fan mode and delivers instant heat. Just perfect for people on a budget.
Best Baseboard Heater
Discreet and effective, these are some of the best all-space heaters. Coming in various sizes, they are ideal for homes, hotels, and commercial premises where the installation of a permanent heater is desired. Here are a few things to check before buying.
- Electric or hydronic: You can choose from electric and hydronic baseboard heaters. Electric ones are the most popular due to their simple installation, but hydronic is desired if you want to hook them to a central heating system.
- Expert installation: The initial and running costs are only part of the picture. Baseboard heaters need expert installation and periodical maintenance – two things to weigh in before buying.
- Type: Do you want a standalone baseboard heater to use in a room or a model you can integrate into your central heating system?
- Front louvers: Allow you to change the direction of the airflow, enhancing heating efficiency.
Best Baseboard Heater Reviews of 2021
Fahrenheat 2004DOWBA PLF2004 Hydronic Baseboard Heater
Best hydronic baseboard heater
Liquid element technology keeps it cool to touch, so you can safely mount it on any kind of floor.
1 Fahrenheat 2004DOWBA Review
Looking for a permanent yet affordable space heating solution? A baseboard heater is your best bet. And one of your best choices is the Fahrenheat 2004DOWBA.
Using liquid element technology, this hydronic baseboard delivers instant heat while staying cool to touch. Not only can you mount it on any floor you want – including carpeted and hardwood floors – but it’s also a great choice for households with kids or pets.
A slimline, attractive profile ensures seamless integration in all home decors. It’s hardwired, which means it requires some installation, but once it’s on, it is the best baseboard heaters on the market.
Cadet Manufacturing 09954 240-Volt Baseboard Hardwire Electric Zone Heater
Best electric baseboard heater
High-temperature safety shutoff prevents overheating and ensures safe operation.
2 Cadet 09954 Review
From Cadet Manufacturing, the 09954 electric baseboard heater brings true value for money. It doesn’t use hydronic technology, but it’s as capable as the Fahrenheat.
Suitable to use in all rooms, the heater boasts quiet operation and delivers quick heat. Pre-drilled holes and the possibility to hardwire it at either end ensure easy installation. We also like the nylon bushings designed for noise reduction.
It doesn’t have a thermostat, and it doesn’t stay cool to touch, but if you don’t have pets or kids, you’ll definitely like it.
Cadet Manufacturing 05532 120-Volt Baseboard Hardwire Electric Zone Heater
Best affordable baseboard heater
Convection style baseboard heater delivers zonal heat and is great for smaller rooms.
3 Cadet 05532 Review
A popular and affordable choice, the Cadet Manufacturing 05532 is one of your best bets if you have a smaller room or lower budget.
Like its 09954 brother, it’s designed for quick installation and must be hardwired. This model doesn’t come with a thermostat either, but you can easily pair it with one. As for the looks, the sleek, white finish is easy to integrate into any home.
A practical and stylish solution for your heating needs, this heater can be installed on the floor or mounted on a wall to keep your family warm season after season.
Space Heater Buying Guide
What is a space heater?
A space heater is a self-contained appliance designed to heat a single space at a time, as opposed to the central heating systems that can heat various rooms simultaneously. A space heater is, after all, an umbrella term that refers to a variety of electric or gas-powered units.
While most people think of indoor use when talking about space heaters, the truth is that you can pick from a range of indoor and outdoor space heaters, based on your needs.
Various types of space heaters
Whether you need an indoor or outdoor heater, you can pick from the following types:
- Electric space heaters
- Electric fireplaces
- Oil-filled radiators
- Infrared heaters
- Outdoor heaters
- Garage heaters
- Portable heaters
- Propane heaters
- Kerosene heaters
- Natural gas heaters
- Ceramic heaters
- Baseboard heaters
Best space heater brands
Before talking about features and ways to select the best space heater for you, it is essential to know which heater brands deserve your attention. Oftentimes, it’s easy to find cheap yet powerful units, but if the brand isn’t trustworthy, you might spend more on repairing or replacing the space heater. With this in mind, here are some of the best space heater brands that deserve your attention:
- Dyson heaters: A true innovator, Dyson is known for its unrivaled home appliances. Their space heaters are some of the safest for the whole family, and most models combine heat and cooling function, for year-round use. You’ll have to pay for these technologies, though.
- Mr. Heater: Mostly known for its propane heaters, Mr. Heater appeals to those who need to heat larger, ventilated areas or outdoor spaces. The heaters boast clean combustion and are safe to use indoors.
- Lasko heaters: Proposing a range of electric heaters, Lasko appeals to homeowners as well as commercial users looking for affordable, mid-range space heaters.
- Duraflame heaters: Specialized in infrared heaters, Duraflame proposes a range of standard space heaters as well as a selection of electric fireplaces at affordable prices.
- Opolar heaters: Another brand addressing those who look for affordable solutions, Opolar impresses with a range of small ceramic heaters for smaller rooms. Resistant to moisture, their units are also ideal for bathrooms.
Besides the heater brands above, other companies that deserve your attention include Dr. Infrared, Heat Storm, DeLonghi, and AmazonBasics.
What is the best space heater for me?
There are so many types of heaters on the market, and so many models in each category, that finding the best space heater for you can be troublesome. That’s why your research should start with a few questions:
- Where do you want to use the heater? Indoors, outdoors, or both inside and outside of your home?
- What room do you want to heat? A ceramic heater, for instance, could be an excellent choice for a living room, but it could be too loud for your bedroom due to the fan. Electric heaters could be unsafe to use in a bathroom, while propane models could be unsafe to use indoors.
- What size is your room? Is the heater you want to buy powerful enough to warm up the entire space?
- Is the heater cool to touch when on? If you have kids or pets – or if you want a freestanding model to place directly on the floor – make sure its surface will not overheat.
- Do you suffer from allergies? Ceramic heaters – or any other heater that uses a fan – can easily spread out allergens. If you suffer from allergies or respiratory problems, an oil heater or an infrared one with no fan are your best bets.
Once you’ve answered these questions, decide whether you want an electric or propane unit and whether you need a portable or permanent heater.
Electric vs. propane heaters
Nowadays, you can choose from both electric and propane space heaters for both indoor and outdoor use.
- Electric heaters: Are often cheaper to run and more environmentally friendly than propane ones, but they are not always suitable to use outdoors in adverse weather. To operate them, you also need access to a wall outlet or power generator, should you plan to use an electric heater in remote locations.
- Propane heaters: Are more efficient than electric models, heating your space faster. Most models are portable, with the smaller ones using camping-sized propane cylinders. They can be used in all conditions, even in the case of electricity blackouts. However, they pose more hazards than electric heaters and are often more expensive to run.
Permanent vs. portable heaters
Based on the size of your room and purpose, you can choose from permanent or portable space heaters.
- Permanent space heaters: Are designed for larger spaces and come as an alternative to the central heating systems. Besides heat, some models also bring aesthetic value – for instance, you can create a focal point in your living room with an electric fireplace, or mount a baseboard heater to replace a freestanding unit.
- Portable space heaters: Are more appropriate for smaller rooms and come as an alternative to the permanent heaters and central heating systems. Their most significant benefit is the lower running cost compared to both permanent and central heating solutions. Besides home use, portable heaters are also suitable to use outdoors for leisure or work purposes.
What space heater to buy?
In a nutshell, you should get a:
Space heater type
Portable electric heater
Single-room heating, indoor use, ideal for smaller rooms
Portable propane heater
Single-room heating, indoor and outdoor use
Effective heating of larger rooms, offices, garages, and warehouses
How many watts or BTU do I need?
The most disappointing thing in a space heater is its inability to warm up your room effectively. More often than not, though, it is our fault. Failing to size the heater correctly can easily turn into frustration, so make sure you know how to calculate how many watts or British Thermal Units (BTU) you need before buying.
While it sounds complex, it all comes down to a simple formula.
To heat up a room effectively, you need 10 watts or 34 BTU of heat output per square foot (1 watt = 3.4 BTU). In other words, a 1,500-watt heater outputs 5,100 BTU and is suitable for spaces up to 150 square feet.
Likewise, a propane heater outputting 10,000 BTU is suitable for rooms up to 300 square feet.
With this in mind, regardless of what the manufacturer claims, calculate the square footage of your space and match it with an appropriate heater to prevent disappointment.
What is the best space heater for the bathroom?
Water and electricity don’t work together very well, that’s why it is recommended to avoid using an electric space heater in the bathroom. Showering in a frigid environment isn’t pleasant, though. If you don’t want to use central heating, you could either get a water-resistant portable electric heater or opt for a hardwired, wall-mounted unit. The latter is undeniably the safest option – just make sure the heater is mounted at a distance from your shower or bathtub to prevent steam from damaging the appliance.
How much energy does a space heater use?
Running costs are often a decisive factor when choosing a space heater. Knowing how much energy your model uses can help you estimate your monthly bills.
Most electric heaters use 1,500 watts per hour. To figure out how much it will cost you per day, multiply this figure by the number of hours you want to keep it on and divide by 1,000 (1 kilowatt) to figure out how many kilowatts your appliance uses per day.
Taking a practical example, let’s assume that you run the heater for 10 hours per day. So:
- Multiply the number of watts by the number of hours: 1,500 x 10 = 15,000 watts/day
- Divide the result by 1,000: 15,000 ÷ 1,000 = 15 kilowatts
- Multiply the number of kilowatts by the electricity rate in your area. Assuming your company charges 0.38 cents per kilowatt, you’ll get: 15 x 0.38 = 5.7
In other words, you’ll spend $5.7/day to use your electric heater for 10 hours a day.
Obviously, most space heaters have multiple heat settings and eco modes that allow you to reduce these costs.
Features to look for in space heaters
With the above in mind, here are a few important features to look for, regardless of the type of space heater you want to buy.
- Variable heat settings: Allow you to choose between energy efficiency or higher heat output, based on the room size and your budget.
- Thermostat: A thermostat can help you keep costs even lower by turning off the appliance when the temperature in your room has reached the desired level.
- Auto-shutoff: For safer operation, get a heater with overheat and tip-over auto-shutoff functions.
- Mobility: Unless you want to replace the central heating system with permanently mounted units, get a heater with carrying handle or wheels, so you can move it from one room to another easily.
- Efficiency: If you live in cold climate areas, go for a propane heater or an infrared one.
- Aesthetic value: Last but not least, pick a space heater that looks good. There are many stylish models regardless of the heater size or type, and some can even double as room décor if you decide to get an electric fireplace or electric stove.