All 18 Leaf Blowers We Recommend
Best Cordless Leaf Blowers
Perfect for smaller and less frequent jobs, cordless leaf blowers are an excellent choice for most homeowners. They are not as powerful as their gas-powered counterpart but provide unlimited mobility and are eco-friendly. Just make sure to have a spare battery at hand if you want to tackle larger jobs.
Best leaf blower for: Cleaning gutters, smaller backyards
EGO Power+ LB5804
K I M O. 6001-4.0
Best Corded Leaf Blowers
Electric leaf blowers bring peace of mind to homeowners looking for limitless runtime and low maintenance. They are not as powerful as gas leaf blowers, but can still pack a punch. An alternative to the cordless leaf blowers, they won’t make you worry about running out of power half-way through your work, but the length of the power cord will limit your range.
Best leaf blower for: Casual home use
Best Gas Leaf Blowers
If you have a more massive yard, no access to a wall outlet, and need more power than an electric model can provide, then a gas leaf blower could be perfect for you. The greatest advantage of gas leaf blowers bring is flexibility. You can use it anywhere and for as long as you want, as long as you have gas to refill the tank. However, they are noisier and heavier than electric or cordless leaf blowers.
Best leaf blower for: Large yards, commercial applications
Best Backpack Leaf Blowers
Backpack leaf blowers can be powered by either gas or batteries. They deliver more power than the handheld models but are also heavier. The weight is transferred to your back and shoulders, though, so they are still easy to carry. Gas models can be quite noisy, but they are your best choice for heavier-duty jobs.
Best leaf blower for: Large properties, landscaping
Poulan Pro PR48BT
Best Leaf Blower Vacuum
Commonly used for heavy-duty yard cleanups, a leaf blower vacuum helps you gather and collect debris effortlessly. These units come with collection bags you can easily empty in a bin, and some of the best leaf blower vacuums can even turn yard debris into mulch. Similar to regular leaf blowers, they come in handheld and backpack designs.
Best leaf blower for: Quick cleaning, mulching
Best Walk Behind Leaf Blowers
Similar to push behind lawn mowers, walk behind leaf blowers are a great choice for sizeable areas. Most of these models can blow, vacuum, and shred debris in a blink of an eye. They are also suitable for those who would push rather than carry a leaf blower. Due to their more complex construction, they need more maintenance than a handheld or backpack unit but are your best bet for heavy-duty jobs.
Best leaf blower for: Large areas, industrial use
Best Battery Powered Leaf Blower
Do you need a leaf blower for casual home use but don’t want to be restricted by a power cord? Then a cordless leaf blower is your best bet. These models provide around half an hour of runtime – sometimes more – and sufficient power for sweeping off leaves and yard debris without effort. Sure, they might not be your best choice for yards larger than half an acre, unless you have a replacement battery.
- Runtime: Most cordless leaf blower nowadays comes with interchangeable lithium-ion batteries that provide around 25-30 minutes of runtime.
- Charge time: How long does it take to recharge the battery? Fast-charge batteries can usually be charged in two hours or less. Standard batteries may require four hours or more.
- Overall weight: If buying a lightweight unit is important to you, make sure you check how much it weighs with the battery on. Some manufacturers express the weight of the bare tool, and the battery can easily add an extra pound or two.
- Variable speed: This function will allow you to maximize runtime by reducing speed, especially when cleaning driveways, sideways, or other hard surfaces.
Best Battery Powered Leaf Blower Reviews of 2022
EGO Power+ LB5804 580CFM Variable-Speed Lithium-ion Cordless Leaf Blower
Two-speed options and turbo button helps you achieve the desired level of power.
1 EGO Power+ LB5804 Review
Designed with home users in mind but powerful enough for professionals to like, the EGO Power+ LB5804 is the best cordless leaf blower on the market. This versatile machine impresses with a heavy-duty 5.0Ah, 56V battery that delivers gas-like power.
You’ll get up to 75 minutes of runtime on a single charge, while variable speed and a turbo boost enhance operation.
The blower can easily sweep all kinds of yard debris from your driveways, sideways, or grass areas. Performance apart, we also like the fast charger as well as the weather-resistant construction. Powerful and resistant, it’s a great choice for eco-savvy landscapers and homeowners.
DEWALT DCBL722P1 Cordless Leaf Blower
Best for the money
Its high-efficiency brushless motor helps extend both the runtime and the overall lifespan of the tool.
2 DEWALT DCBL722P1 Review
While it may not be as powerful as the EGO Power+ LB5804, the DEWALT DCBL722P1 brings outstanding value for money. It still outputs 450 CFM of air volume and up to 125 mph of speed, which is sufficient for most home users.
Apart from this, it’s light and easy to use. Starting it is easy, while its greatest highlight is the variable speed with cruise control you can set to prevent keeping the trigger pressed.
Another highlight is the brushless motor that enhances both battery life and the overall lifespan. This cordless blower also boasts an ergonomic design that ensures an anatomical arm movement and enhanced comfort—all in all, just what you need for a small to mid-sized yard.
KIMO. Cordless Leaf Blower
Best 2-in-1 cordless leaf blower
This compact sweeper and vacuum may be affordable, but it’s up to anything, from leaf and snow blowing to collecting debris.
3 K I M O. 6001-4.0 Review
The K I M O. 6001-4.0 impresses with similar power as our best value, but a shorter runtime, of only half an hour. That said, this two-in-one leaf blower and vacuum is an excellent pick for smaller yards and casual home chores.
Conversion from blower to vacuum is easy – the vacuum doesn’t have a huge capacity, but’s it’s still large enough to gather a small volume of debris or to clean the interior of your vehicle.
The battery is not the fastest charging around, but its 1.5-hour charge time is relatively fast nonetheless. If you need more runtime, the best thing is to buy an extra battery. Apart from that, this battery-powered leaf blower is dependable and affordable – a great choice for homeowners on a budget.
Best Electric Leaf Blower
An electric leaf blower comes as an alternative to the cordless one if you don’t mind the power cord. The main advantage of these units is their low heft. You won’t have to bother about runtime either, but you will need access to a wall outlet. Here are a few things to consider before buying.
- Power requirements: Check if you can use an extension cord with your electric leaf blower or if you must plug it directly to a wall outlet. Some manufacturers don’t recommend the use of extension cords with their models.
- Cord length: Whether or not you can use the unit with an extension cord, check the length of the power cord. As a guideline, a 150-foot cord usually provides sufficient reach.
- Amperage: The rules are simple, the more amperes the leaf blower has, the more powerful it is. Some of the best corded leaf blowers have 12 amperes or over, while lower-end units only have 7.
- Safety shutoff: This feature turns off the machine in case of power cord damage, preventing motor damage.
Best Electric Leaf Blower Reviews of 2022
BLACK+DECKER BV6600 3-in-1 Electric Leaf Blower Vacuum & Mulcher
Best 3-in-1 electric leaf blower
This quiet machine can grind up to 16 bags of leaves down to one bag of mulch.
1 BLACK+DECKER BV6600 Review
BLACK+DECKER is known as one of the most popular brands of garden and home care power tools, and the BV6600 3-in-1 leaf blower doesn’t disappoint. Designed with convenience in mind, it boasts a 12-amp motor that’s powerful enough to sweep away all sorts of yard debris.
Once you’ve gathered the leaves in a pile, simply switch to vacuum and enjoy the mulch functions. A reduction ratio of 16:1 will effortlessly turn 16 bags of vegetal material into one.
Like you’d expect from a best-in-class, the unit also features variable speed and a quick conversion trigger that switches from blower to vacuum in seconds. No doubt, a versatile choice for small to mid-sized yards.
WORX WG520 Turbine 600 Corded Electric Leaf Blower
Best electric leaf blower
An outstanding air flow rate and attractive price tag are just some of this unit’s highlights.
2 WORX WG520 Review
While our best-in-class stands out with its 3-in-1 function, the WORX WG520 stands out thanks to its impressive power. With 600 CFM, it can tackle heavier-duty chores without effort. Furthermore, the wide mouth nozzle allows cleaning larger surfaces quicker.
Power and nozzle apart, we also like the other features, such as the dual-speed that makes it suitable to use in both tighter and larger spaces.
The unit is not the lightest in its class, but at 6.5 pounds, it still allows for effortless, one-hand operation. Capable of handling whatever you’re throwing at it, this is undeniably one of the most powerful corded leaf blowers on the market.
BLACK+DECKER LB700 Corded Electric Leaf Blower
Best for light-duty chores
Lightweight, ergonomic construction makes it easy to use even by the elderly or impaired people.
3 BLACK+DECKER LB700 Review
BLACK+DECKER claims another spot in the top three best electric leaf blower classification with the LB700.
This corded leaf blower isn’t only affordable; it is lightweight, ergonomic, and more than suitable for casual home chores. The unit boasts a 7-amp motor that outputs 180 CFM of airpower as well as 180 mph of speed.
Ideal for decks, driveways, and your lawn, it also comes with a convenient cord retention system designed to prevent mishaps during cleanup.
Best Gas Powered Leaf Blower
If you need more power to clean up larger areas, a gas leaf blower could be your best bet. These handheld leaf blowers deliver more power than a cordless or electric model but are noisier and heavier. On the bright side, gas blowers impress with a long runtime, and you can easily top up with gas whenever you run out of fuel.
- Level of vibrations: If you intend to use your gas leaf blower for extended periods, get a machine with a low level of vibrations to reduce fatigue.
- Low emissions: All gas-powered tools release noxious fumes, but some are more polluting than others. Check out the unit’s certifications before buying; ideally, you should get one that has either CERT or UL certification.
- Low noise level: A constant loud humming noise could annoy your neighbors and damage your hearing, so get the most silent possible model. Some of the best gas leaf blowers around output around 80 decibels, but many options exceed this number.
- Engine type: You can choose from 2-stroke and 4-stroke engines. The former offers a good weight-power balance at an affordable price, while the latter eliminates the need to mix fuel and oil and last longer, but are more expensive.
Best Gas Powered Leaf Blower Reviews of 2022
Makita BHX2500CA 24.5cc MM4 4-Stroke Engine Gas Leaf Blower
Best gas leaf blower
This EPA and CARB-compliant gas-powered leaf blower can be used in all states in all peace of mind.
1 Makita BHX2500CA Review
Gas powered leaf blowers are often the go-to choice for professionals. Landscapers and gardeners alike need strong machines capable of handling all sorts of debris, and Makita knows it. That’s why the Makita BHX2500CA is the best gas leaf blower you can buy.
Powered by a 24.5cc, 4-stroke commercial engine, it delivers a strong air jet that travels at 145 mph. Furthermore, the low compression engine also delivers an ultra-easy start.
Another thing that we like is that it runs quite quiet for a gas machine and that it’s CARB III compliant. Three nozzles and a cruise control lever bring further value, and even if you’ll have to pay for all these features, this gas leaf blower is worth every dime.
Hitachi RB24EAP Commercial Grade Gas Powered 2-Cycle Leaf Blower
Best for most users
Large, two-finger throttle lever ensures easy switch from one speed to another.
2 Hitachi RB24EAP Review
Slightly less powerful than our best-in-class, the Hitachi RB24EAP is still a behemoth of a gas leaf blower. Featuring a 23.9cc motor, it outputs up to 441 CFM of power and 170 mph of air velocity and is ready to sweep away anything in its path.
The main difference between the two models is the type of motor; indeed, the Hitachi features a 2-stroke engine that will require you to mix gas with oil as well as a bit of more maintenance.
All these are more of an annoyance than a real issue, though. Considering the power and price point, this gas leaf blower brings true value for money.
Craftsman B215 25cc 2-Cycle Engine Handheld Gasoline Leaf Blower
An affordable alternative
Extended nozzle provides more precise blowing, helping you clean debris from tighter spaces.
3 Craftsman B215 Review
The Craftsman B215 is a lighter-duty gas leaf blower suitable for homeowners with larger properties. While it comes with a 25cc, 2-stroke engine, it can still output up to 430 CFM and 200 mph.
Its performance is inconsistent, but the unit is still more than capable of sweeping away general home debris. On the bright side, it is lighter than our best-in-class and easy to use.
The choke starting system may cooperate harder in cold weather, but it generally starts fast. Furthermore, we like the transparent fuel tank that makes it easy to see when to top it up – no doubt, a great choice for homeowners and professionals on lower budgets.
Best Commercial Backpack Leaf Blower
While many buyers believe backpack leaf blowers are gas-powered, the truth is that you can find cordless and electric models too. Their main advantage is the fact that they shift the weight to your shoulders and back rather than your hands. This difference gives manufacturers the possibility to equip them with heavier, more powerful motors – a feature that makes them perfect for heavier-duty, commercial use.
- Power source: Cordless and electric backpack leaf blowers are lighter and also easier to use, but you’ll either have a limited range or limited runtime; thus, they are recommended for areas under 2 acres. Gas versions bring more power alongside unlimited range and runtime but are heavy and noisy.
- Variable speed: Gives you more control over the airflow, allowing you to effectively remove yard debris from driveways and lawn areas alike.
- Anti-vibration harness: A backpack leaf blower leans on your back and shoulders, meaning that your entire body will receive all the vibrations made by the motor. To reduce discomfort, choose a unit with anti-vibration harness.
- Cruise control feature: Allows the engine to stay in speed and operate even if you don’t press the throttle, reducing hand fatigue.
Best Commercial Backpack Leaf Blower Reviews of 2022
Husqvarna 965877502 350BT 2-Cycle Gas Backpack Blower
Best commercial leaf blower
Easy to control and crammed with features, this backpack leaf blower is great for heavy-duty use.
1 Husqvarna 350BT Review
Designed with commercial users in mind, the Husqvarna 350BT is a landscaper’s best friend. Packing a wealth of power, it outputs over 690 CFM, as well as impressive airspeed.
But the high air volume and speed are not the only things to stand out. The Lowvib vibration dampeners mounted between the frame and the chassis reduce vibration and enhance comfort. Furthermore, the 2-stroke engine is relatively light and quieter than a 4-stroke.
This backpack leaf blower also features ergonomic controls, smartly positioned for easy access. With an adjustable tube length for best performance, this is the best backpack leaf blower for heavy-duty use.
Poulan Pro PR48BT 48cc 2-Cycle Gas 475 CFM Backpack Leaf Blower
Best for the money
Top-class performance and low weight make it the preferred backpack leaf blower for home users and professionals alike.
2 Poulan Pro PR48BT Review
The Poulan Pro PR48BT is another backpack leaf blower for commercial use, but light enough to carry and easy to use even by homeowners.
Suitable for people with larger properties, it outputs 200 mph airspeed and 475 CFM. Although not as much as our best-in-class, it’s still more than you need for most chores.
Lightweight and easy to use, it also features a padded backrest and shoulder straps. A variable speed throttle and harness also allow you to adjust the speed to the operation and reduce vibrations.
Ideal for most home or commercial tasks, affordable, and easy to use, this is the best backpack leaf blower for the money.
Greenworks BPB80L00 80V145MPH 580CFM Cordless Backpack Leaf Blower
Best cordless backpack leaf blower
Powered by a lithium-ion battery, this is the best backpack leaf blower for eco-savvy users.
3 Greenworks BPB80L00 Review
If you like the versatility of a backpack leaf blower but don’t want to use a gas model, then the Greenworks BPB80L00 could be your best bet. This leaf blower runs on an 80V lithium-ion battery compatible with all Greenworks 80V systems.
In terms of performance, you can expect up to 580 CFM and 145 mph air velocity. In other words, the blower is powerful enough to sweep both dry and wet leaves.
The backpack system is relatively light and comfortable. The presence of a brushless motor further reduces vibrations while also extending the runtime. Cheaper than our best-in-class and best value, it’s also a perfect choice for users on a budget.
Best Leaf Blower Vacuum Mulcher
A leaf blower vacuum is the best choice for those who want to sweep and collect the debris in one go. Most models come with a lever or switch that allows you to go back and forth between functions. Some of the higher-end models also have a mulch function that allows the machine not only to collect the debris but also to shred it.
- Conversion switch: Perhaps the most important thing to consider when buying a leaf blower vacuum. The best models come with a switch that delivers an easy transition between functions; others require you to attach different tubes or nozzles to convert.
- Collection bag type: Some collection bags can be worn on the shoulders like a backpack, while others are handheld. Needless to say, the former brings more advantages.
- Collection bag capacity: When considering the capacity, remember that the bigger the bag, the heavier it will get as it’s getting filled.
- Reduction ratio: If the leaf blower vacuum you want also has a mulch function, make sure to check the reduction ratio before buying. The higher the number, the more debris you’ll be able to collect and shred in one go.
Best Leaf Blower Vacuum Mulcher Reviews of 2022
WORX WG509 TRIVAC 3-In-1 Electric Blower/Mulcher/Vacuum with Multi-Stage Mulching System
Best 3-in-1 leaf blower vacuum
Leaf blower, vacuum, and mulch functions help you manage yard debris in the best possible way.
1 WORX WG509 Review
One of the most powerful corded leaf blower vacuum mulchers around, the WORX WG509, is a true workhorse with a 13-amp core. Boasting a 3-in-1 function, it can blow, collect, and shred yard debris at a ratio of 18:1.
Like most leaf blowers, it comes with two speeds, blowing air at either 75 or 210 mph. Although it looks large, it’s pretty easy to control and operate with just one hand, thanks to its outstanding balance.
Unlike other electric leaf blowers that come with long extension cords, the WG509 only features a 12-inch cable meant to be used with an extension cord. A retainer prevents accidental disconnection while quickly switch modes allow easy transitioning from blower to vacuum mulch. No doubt, your best choice if you want utmost performance and don’t mind the higher price.
Toro 51621 UltraPlus Variable-Speed Leaf Blower Vacuum
Best value for money
A bottom zip bag makes it very easy to dispose of the fallen leaves or the mulch.
2 Toro 51621 Review
The Toro 51621 comes as an alternative to our best-in-class, delivering excellent value for money. It is a tad less powerful than the WORX, coming with a 12-amp motor. Like the best-in-class, it is a 3-in-1 model designed to gather, collect, and shred yard debris and fallen leaves.
Blowing air at 250 mph and featuring dual speeds, it is also versatile. It can easily blow both dry and wet leaves, as well as grass clippings.
We also like the bag design that is not only large enough to hold a lot of leaves, but that comes with a bottom zipper for easier emptying. Affordable and versatile, it is a great choice for most homeowners.
Toro 51619 Ultra 250 MPH Electric Blower Vac
Cheap but versatile
This lightweight leaf blower vacuum mulcher is very easy to hold and maneuver with just one hand.
3 Toro 51619 Review
Homeowners on a budget looking for a promising tool might like the Toro 51619. This apparently simplistic tool packs a punch, impressing with two speeds and up to 256 mph airflow.
Similar to the Toro 51621, it has 3-in-1 functionality, and you can use it to blow, collect, and mulch the leaves.
Like our choices above, it’s electric and comes with a shorter cable that requires an extension cord. That said, the price tag is attractive, and it will surely deliver the power you need for most casual domestic tasks. One of your best bets if you don’t want to break the bank.
Best Walk Behind Leaf Blower
Landscapers, professional gardeners, as well as homeowners looking for a more manageable way to clean a large property might like a walk-behind leaf blower. Totally different from the handheld and backpack variants, this kind of machine is more similar to a walk behind lawn mower or string trimmer. Much larger than the other leaf blower options, it’s also more powerful, helping you finish your chores faster.
- Self-propelled leaf blowers: Like other push-behind yard tools, walk behind leaf blowers can be either manual or self-propelled. The latter doesn’t require you to push them, reducing fatigue.
- Housing material: You can choose from models with either plastic or metal housing. Plastic is lighter and cheaper, but less resistant than metal.
- Directional blower: Basic walk behind leaf blowers have a uni-directional blower that only allows you to sweep debris in one way. Higher-end models feature bi-directional blowers instead, making it easier to clean both sides of a sideway or driveway.
- Large rear wheels: Larger, pneumatic wheels make the leaf blower easier to maneuver and push on rough terrain.
Best Walk Behind Leaf Blower Reviews of 2022
Patriot Products CBV-2455H Honda Gas Walk Behind 3-In-1 Leaf Vacuum/Chipper/Blower
Best heavy-duty leaf blower
Powerful motor and 3-in-1 blower, vacuum, mulch function make it perfect for heavy-duty work.
1 Patriot CBV-2455H Review
Designed with commercial users in mind, the Patriot CBV-2455H is one of the best walk behind leaf blowers on the market. The unit impresses with heavy-duty components as well as an oversized collection bag that can gather a lot of debris.
Large wheels and handle make it easy to maneuver, even around obstacles. Furthermore, switching from blower to vacuum is easy, with a simple flip of the handle.
Relatively quiet for a gas model, it also boasts a path of 24 inches. The unit is CARB-compliant and suitable to use everywhere across the nation.
Troy-Bilt TB672 208cc Jet Sweep Wheeled Leaf Blower
Best home push-behind leaf blower
Its powerful 208cc Honda engine delivers sufficient power for up to 1,000 CFM.
2 Troy-Bilt TB672 Review
The Troy-Bilt TB672 is another outstanding push behind leaf blower, this time, one designed with home users in mind. While it’s still powerful and suitable for large yards, it only has a 14-inch clearing path.
That’s easier to maneuver around obstacles, not to mention the swivel front wheel and soft grip handle that enhance operation.
The unit doesn’t have a mulch function, but it’s still your best choice if you only want to gather debris, collect it, and throw it into the compost pile—all in all, great value for money.
Landworks GUO022-FBA 4-Stroke Wheeled Jet Sweep Walk Behind Leaf Blower
Inexpensive yet powerful
High power, easy maneuverability, and attractive price tag make it perfect for buyers on a budget.
3 Landworks GUO022-FBA Review
The Landworks GUO022-FBA could be one of the cheapest walk behind leaf blowers, but you shouldn’t underestimate its capabilities. Powered by a 212cc engine, it outputs up to 2,000 CFM and 200 mph.
Its heavy-duty, industrial impeller, and 13.5-inch swath help you finish your chores in no time. Furthermore, we like the pneumatic rear wheels and swivel wheel at the front.
The gas-powered gas blower is EPA and CARB-certified, so you can use it in all states. Coming at a price that won’t break the bank, it’s great for large properties and business owners on a budget.
Leaf Blower Buying Guide
Cordless vs. electric vs. gas powered leaf blower. Which to pick?
The first thing to consider before buying a leaf blower is the type of machine you need. Have you used a leaf blower before? What is the size of the area you need to clean? Will you use the leaf blower for casual home chores or more frequent jobs?
- Cordless leaf blowers: Are versatile machines designed with home users in mind. Most models are weaker than gas leaf blowers, but they are also lighter and quieter. Some of the heavier-duty models nowadays come with powerful batteries that can deliver gas-like performance, but you’ll still have to deal with limited runtime. On the bright side, most cordless blowers come with interchangeable batteries, so you could use a battery from your cordless pole saw, weed eater or hedge trimmer to boost runtime.
- Electric or corded leaf blowers: Deliver more power than most cordless models and are easier to operate than the gas ones. However, your range will be limited by the power cord. Depending on the tool you might or might not be able to use with an extension cord – read the manufacturer’s specs before buying if you can’t plug it directly into a wall outlet.
- Gas leaf blowers: Are the most powerful from the three, usually preferred by professionals. They deliver long runtime as well as high blowing power. They are suitable to use anywhere as long as you have a can of gas around, but these machines are loud. They are also heavier, need more maintenance, and produce vibrations that could cause fatigue. However, these are some of the most versatile machines you can get, most of them acting as leaf blower vacuums or leaf vacuum mulchers.
Which leaf blower to get?
With the above in mind, check out the table below to see which is the best leaf blower for you.
Leaf blower type
Blowing dry leaves, twigs, lighter yard debris
Up to ½ acre
Blowing dry and wet leaves, lighter yard debris
1 acre or over
Blowing dry and wet leaves, heavy yard debris and garbage, commercial applications
Handheld vs. backpack vs. walk behind leaf blowers
Power source aside, leaf blowers can be classified based on their design. You can choose from a handheld, backpack, and walk-behind units.
- Handheld leaf blowers: Are lightweight, versatile, and highly maneuverable but could cause fatigue if the area you have to clean is very large. Typically, these leaf blowers are perfect for casual home use to clean your patio, deck, driveway, or small lawn from fallen leaves, twigs, or even light snow.
- Backpack leaf blowers: If you need a longer runtime or more power, a backpack leaf blower can provide it. This kind of machine can blow much more than dry leaves. Most models are powerful enough to also blow wet leaves, twigs, pebbles, and other heavier debris. Apart from using them in all areas mentioned above, they are also ideal for use on fields or in garages and workshops.
- Walk behind leaf blower: Designed with professionals in mind, these leaf blowers are powerful enough to clean dry and wet leaves, twigs, as well as heavier debris such as cardboard, metal shavings, heavy paper, as well as other kinds of garbage. Similar to push-behind lawn mowers or string trimmers, they come in various sizes and are suitable for cleaning large areas of 1 acre or more.
Best leaf blower brands
Figuring out what type of leaf blower you need is only part of the picture. Once you know that, you should also know what brands are worth your attention for convenience and durability. Below, a list of the most popular leaf blower brands:
- BLACK+DECKER leaf blowers: Are among the cheapest reliable units on the market. Most are designed for domestic consumers, although the brand also has a line of professional leaf vacuum mulchers.
- WORX leaf blowers: Address eco-savvy users interested in cordless or electric machines. They provide superior quality and outstanding cutting power, with levels comparable to the gas units.
- Stihl leaf blowers: Are usually designed with professionals in mind. They are more expensive than BLACK+DECKER, but are more powerful and will last longer.
- EGO leaf blowers: Similar to WORX, the EGO leaf blowers address home users and professionals looking for a powerful and reliable cordless unit.
- Dewalt leaf blowers: Are somewhere in-between the BLACK+DECKER and Stihl, offering semi-professional features at prices that don’t break the bank.
- Makita leaf blowers: Are similar to the Stihl, in that they address landscapers and other commercial users. They are powerful, but can be expensive.
Other important leaf blower brands we can mention include Hitachi, Toro, Husqvarna, and Poulan Pro, to name just a few.
What is a good CFM for a leaf blower?
One of the most important numbers to check when buying a leaf blower is the quantity of air it can move, expressed in cubic feet per minute (CFM). This number determines how far the unit can blow the debris, and the higher this number, the most powerful the machine.
Depending on the size of your property, you will need:
Up to ½ acres
½ - 1 acre
Over 1 acre
What about the leaf blower MPH?
Another number you’ll also notice when shopping for a leaf blower is the air velocity, expressed in miles per hour (mph). While the CFM tells you how far the blower can throw the garbage, the air velocity tells you how fast you can move it.
Just like in the case of the CFM, the size of your yard determines what air velocity you need:
Up to ½ acres
½ - 1 acre
Over 1 acre
Is CFM or MPH more important in a leaf blower?
Not necessarily. While both numbers are important, whether or not one is more important than the other depends on your circumstances. For instance, if you have a small yard and want to finish your chores faster, you could opt for a unit with lower CFM but higher MPH. On the contrary, if the area is larger, but you don’t mind spending more time cleaning, you could get a unit with high CFM and lower MPH. For commercial use, however, try to get a unit with high CFM as well as high MPH.
What should I look for when buying a leaf blower?
With the above in mind, here are a few things you should look for before buying a leaf blower.
- Nozzle design: Some models have round, largemouth nozzles, while others come with a flattened nozzle. The former is ideal for blowing leaves off your lawn or flowerbeds, while the latter is more suitable for sweeping decks and driveways. If both are important to you, check if the unit you want comes with both nozzle types.
- Ergonomic grip: If you want a handheld or push behind leaf blower, make sure it comes with an ergonomic grip.
- Variable speed: Allows you to switch from lower to higher airflow, adapting the performance to the size of the area. This feature also allows you to prolong runtime when using a cordless or gas unit.
- Cruise control: Maintains the selected speed even if the trigger is not engaged, reducing user fatigue and improving comfort.
- Weight: Whether you want a handheld or backpack unit, check its weight, and make sure it’s comfortable to hold and maneuver.
- Noise level: Leaf blowers can be noisy machines, but just like the lawn mowers or string trimmers, some models are quieter than others. Battery leaf blowers can be as quiet as normal conversation, while some gas units don’t exceed 75 decibels.