All 33 Lawn Mowers We Recommend
Best Cordless Lawn Mowers
When it comes to ease of use, cordless lawn mowers are one of the most popular choices. There’s no cord to trip over and the push start eliminates the need for the strenuous pull cords of some gas-powered alternatives.
Best lawn mower for: Small to medium lawns
Sun Joe 24V-X2-17LM
Best Electric Lawn Mowers
If you don’t like the idea of having to recharge the battery, an electric or corded lawn mower is a good alternative. Although you are tethered by the cord, you get a more consistent performance.
Best lawn mower for: Lawns with access to outlets
American Lawn Mower Co 50514
Best Self-Propelled Lawn Mowers
Whether you go for a cordless, electric, or gas model, the best lawn mowers are self-propelled. They work by engaging a speed control lever that causes the mower to move forward without the need to push.
Best lawn mower for: Large lawns, uneven terrain
Best Riding Lawn Mowers
For large lawns or homes with acreage, riding lawn mowers are the best choice. These take much less time and energy than push mowers and give a nice even finish.
Best lawn mower for: Large lawns, acreage
Husqvarna TS 354XD
Troy-Bilt Pony 42X
Best Zero Turn Mowers
A zero-turn mower is a fast type of riding lawn mower that’s best for large lawns with a lot of trees and flowerbeds. Unlike regular riding mowers, these have a zero-turn radius so can easily maneuver around obstacles without a lot of reversing.
Best lawn mower for: Big lawns with many obstacles
Best Reel Mowers
If you’re looking for a manual lawn mower for a small yard, a reel mower may be for you. Unlike our powered options, reel lawn mowers have blades that spin vertically using a scissor action to trim the grass.
Best lawn mower for: Small lawns, light trimming
American Lawn Mower 1204-14
Best Small Lawn Mowers
For something a little more powerful than a reel mower, a trimmer edger mower is a good alternative. Also known as a 3-in-1 lawn mower, these combine the functionality of a garden edger, weed wacker, and lawn mower in one.
Best lawn mower for: Small lawns with borders
Black + Decker MTC220
Black + Decker BESTA512CM
Black + Decker MTD100
Best Gas Lawn Mowers
Gas powered lawn mowers are the most powerful push-behind choice. They easily eat through grass on the unruliest lawns that electric mowers may not be able to handle.
Best lawn mower for: Large lawns, professionals
Best Robot Lawn Mowers
Whereas all of the other mowers involve some level of yard work, a robot lawn mower takes care of this chore for you. They work within a set perimeter and cut just a small amount of grass each time to keep the yard looking smart.
Best lawn mower for: Flat yards, open lawn
Best Walk-Behind String Trimmer
Walk-behind string trimmers look like a cross between a lawn mower and a string trimmer. They are an excellent tool for lawns that are overgrown with thick thatch and weeds that a standard lawn mower can’t get through.
Best lawn mower for: Overgrown lawns, thick weeds
Best Pull Behind Mowers
A pull behind mower is an alternative to a riding mower for anyone who has a tractor or ATV. They make quick work of large lawns, meadows, or fields and give professional mowing results on uneven terrain.
Best lawn mower for: Large lawns, meadows, farms
Best Battery Powered Lawn Mower
The downside of a cordless lawn mower is the need to recharge the battery. However, this is a small price to pay for the convenience and ease of use.
- Lithium-Ion batteries: The best cordless lawn mower batteries are Lithium-ion. The higher the voltage, the longer the motor will run and the more grass you can cut.
- Self-propelled: Self-propelled cordless mowers are more expensive but are much easier to use than push-style.
- Mulching vs Bagging: Mulching mowers leave behind clippings that decompose to enrich the soil. Bagging mowers mean you’ll need to empty the bag of grass as you go.
- Brushless motor: These are the most reliable type of motor and give a performance equivalent to gas-powered counterparts.
Best Battery Powered Lawn Mower Reviews of 2021
Greenworks GLM801601 21-Inch 80V Cordless Push Lawn Mower
Two 80V batteries for unrivaled power
The quick 30-minute charge time and innovative vertical storage make this cordless lawn mower a popular choice.
1 Greenworks GLM801601 Review
A cordless lawn mower gives the most freedom in small to medium-sized gardens. And the best battery-powered lawn mower we recommend is the Greenworks GLM801601. The powerful 80V battery system gives the equivalent power of a 190cc gas engine, which is more than enough for most lawns.
This cordless lawn mower comes with two 80-volt batteries and a charger which takes just 30 minutes to charge up the spare battery pack. But our favorite feature of the Greenworks GLM801601 is the vertical storage option – it hands vertically in a shed, saving room in tight spaces.
We also love the 3-in-1 mulch, rear bag, and side discharge on this mower, giving you the option to spread mulch or easily collect the grass with the bag attachment.
Overall, the Greenworks GLM801601 is a customer favorite and a great choice for most homeowners looking for the versatility of a battery-powered lawn mower.
Greenworks 25322 G-MAX 40V 16” Cordless Lawn Mower
Best for medium-sized lawns
With a 40V battery and 16-inch cutting deck, this cordless lawn mower is great value for money.
2 Greenworks 25322 Review
If you have a smaller lawn, the Greenworks 25322 is a less powerful alternative to our best in class pick that will save you some money. The 40V battery is still sufficient for up to half an acre of lawn, giving 45 minutes of solid run-time. While the 16-inch cutting deck is also a decent size to avoid multiple passes.
This cordless lawn mower offers 2-in-1 rear bagging and mulching but doesn’t have the side discharge capability of our best in class pick. Even so, the 5-position height adjuster means you can get the perfect first cut of the season as well as regular trims with the flip of a lever.
With a nice quiet operation and enough power to cut 400m2 on a single charge, the Greenworks 25322 is a customer favorite and a great choice small to medium lawns.
Sun Joe 24V-X2-17LM 48-Volt 17-Inch Mulching Walk-Behind Lawn Mower
Budget-friendly cordless mower
For a budget price, this cordless mower has an impressive 48V battery and over an hour of run-time.
3 Sun Joe 24V-X2-17LM Review
If you’re looking for a budget cordless lawn mower, the Sun Joe 24V-X2-17LM is a popular choice. The 48V battery gives 65 minutes of run-time, which is plenty for small to medium-sized lawns. It has a decent cutting deck width of 17 inches, which is a good size for a battery-powered lawn mower.
This Sun Joe mower comes with two rechargeable batteries. However, unlike our other picks, the Sun Joe 24V-X2-17LM uses both at the same time. This can be a little annoying if you need to recharge them mid-project as you won’t have a replacement. But they do take under an hour to charge back up.
For the price point, this Sun Joe battery mower is a great choice for anyone with a small to medium garden.
Best Corded Lawn Mower
Corded lawn mowers are usually the least expensive option, so a good choice if you’re on a budget.
- Decibels: Electric lawn mowers are extremely quiet compared to gas-powered mowers.
- 20 Amp motor: The best electric lawn mowers have a powerful 20-amp motor for the best performance.
- Eco-friendly: Since electric mowers don’t have fuel or an exhaust, they are the most eco-conscious option.
- Low maintenance: Since corded lawn mowers don’t need oil or gas, maintenance and upkeep are at a minimum.
Best Corded Lawn Mower Reviews of 2021
Greenworks 25022 20-Inch 3-in-1 12 Amp Electric Corded Lawn Mower
Great accuracy for perfect lawns
The 7 height adjustments allow the perfect cut to keep manicured lawns looking smart.
1 Greenworks 25022 Review
If you want unlimited run-time from your lawn mower, electric is a good alternative to battery power. Designed for mid-sized yards, the Greenworks 25022 has 7 adjustable height settings to get the perfect finish. It also has a 20-inch deck which means fewer passes needed when mowing. If you love keeping your lawn perfectly manicured, this is the lawn mower for the job.
Although it’s pretty hefty weighing 56lbs, it has large, sturdy wheels that will easily roll over lawn and driveway. It doesn’t come with an extension cord, but the integrated cord lock stops the cord accidentally disconnecting mid-project.
If you have a mid-sized garden and don’t want to deal with fuel or batteries, the Greenworks 25022 is our top choice.
Greenworks 25142 16-Inch 10 Amp Corded Electric Lawn Mower
Best for small lawns
This compact, lightweight electric lawn mower is a good option for small, manicured lawns.
2 Greenworks 25142 Review
If you want something more compact for a smaller yard, the Greenworks 25142 is a smaller alternative to our best in class pick. The 10 Amp motor and 16-inch cutting deck are designed for smaller yards, and since it weighs less than our top pick, it’s easier to store.
This Greenworks 25142 has 5 height adjustments, which is plenty for most lawns. And it also has mulching or rear discharge capability depending on your needs. We especially like the large height adjustment lever which is very easy to use.
Although this lawnmower isn’t suited to large gardens, it’s great value for anyone with a small lawn to keep tidy.
American Lawn Mower Company 50514 14-Inch Corded Electric Mower
Great for the money
A compact electric lawn mower with a grass level indicator built for small gardens.
3 American Lawn Mower Co 50514 Review
The American Lawn Mower Co 50514 is the smallest electric lawn mower in this category. It’s lightweight enough for most people weighing just 26.5lbs and the smaller cutting width of 14 inches makes it suited to small yards.
This corded lawn mower has an adjustable handle to customize to your own height, as well as 5 cutting height adjustments. It also has a handy grass level indicator, so you know when it’s time to empty the bag.
Although this budget corded mower isn’t as sturdy as our other picks, it’s a good cost-effective option for anyone with a small garden in need or semi-regular maintenance.
Best Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
If you have a large lawn, a self-propelled lawn mower will save you time and energy. Especially if you have long, unruly grass or a large lawn to maintain.
- Rear-wheel drive: Although more expensive, rear-wheel drive self-propelled lawn mowers give more control when on uneven or gradient lawns.
- Variable speed: The best self-propelled lawn mowers are variable speed, allowing you to adjust it based on the terrain.
- Blade override: Many self-propelled lawn mowers will cut the engine when you release the lever. A blade override disengages the blades but allows the engine to continue running safely even when the lever is released.
- Swivel wheels: Some self-propelled lawn mowers have swivel wheels to make turning much easier while using the top speed.
Best Self-Propelled Lawn Mower Reviews of 2021
Greenworks MO40L4413 40V 21″ Brushless (Smart Pace) Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
Cordless self-propelled lawn mower
Featuring a brushless motor and dual battery port that doubles the run time and extends the life of the mower.
1 Greenworks MO40L4413 Review
Although self-propelled lawn mowers can be electric, cordless, or gas-powered, this is a popular feature that deserves its own category. And when it comes to the best self-propelled lawn mowers, the Greenworks MO40L4413 is our top choice.
It’s a cordless self-propelled lawn mower with a brushless motor. This gives an extended battery life and an impressive 90 minutes of run-time. Perfect for most mid-sized gardens. It also has a large 21-inch cutting deck so even mid-sized gardens won’t take long to mow.
But our favorite feature is the dual battery port with automatic switch-over. This gives double the run-time without the need to manually switch the battery if you’re half-way down the garden. Overall, a great choice for anyone looking for a cordless self-propelled lawn mower.
Craftsman M275 159cc 3-in-1 High-Wheeled Self-Propelled FWD Gas Lawn Mower
Gas-powered self-propelled lawn mower
A heavy-duty engine for large gardens, with the easy push start of an electric model.
2 Craftsman M275 Review
If you prefer the power of a gas-powered lawn mower, the Craftsman M275 is a great option. Featuring a heavy-duty 159cc engine, this self-propelled lawn mower is designed for large gardens. It has a large 21-inch cutting deck and 6 different height settings to customize based on your needs.
Although this is a gas lawn mower, it has an electric start which saves the back-breaking task of a pull cord. The Craftsman M275 doesn’t have rear-wheel drive, but the front-wheel drive is sufficient enough for large lawns that are mostly flat.
For anyone with a large garden, the Craftsman M275 is a reliable self-propelled lawn mower that will eat through tall grass with ease.
Lawn-Boy 17732 Kohler XTX OHV 3-in-1 Rear Wheel Drive Self Propelled Lawn Mower
Best budget lawn mower for hills
The rear-wheel drive and self-propelled engine make this a top choice for slopes, hills, and even lawns.
3 Lawn-Boy 17732 Review
The Lawn-Boy 17732 is a popular choice with many homeowners because of the budget price point. It’s less powerful than our value pick with a 149cc engine but features the same wide cutting width of 21 inches.
Unlike our value pick, the Lawn-Boy 17732 is a rear-wheel drive system that is more robust for hills, slopes, and uneven lawns. It also has 6 different cutting heights which can easily be adjusted with just one lever.
For a budget self-propelled lawn mower, the Lawn-Boy 17732 has some great features which make it clear to see why it’s an online favorite.
Best Lawn Tractors
Although riding mowers are expensive and not suitable for small gardens, they are extremely efficient for large gardens.
- Cutting deck width: This can range from 30 inches all the way to 54 or more. The wider the cutting deck, the fewer passes you’ll need on large lawns.
- Automatic transmission: The best riding mowers have automatic or hydrostatic transmission. This makes changing speed quick and easy, especially on sloping lawns.
- Around 25HP: For very large lawns, garden tractors have heavy-duty engines that give fast, reliable results.
- Range of attachments: There are many great attachments you can get for a riding lawn mower to make lawn care easier including aerators, spreaders, trailers, and more.
Best Lawn Tractors Reviews of 2021
Husqvarna TS 354XD (54″) 24HP Kawasaki Garden Tractor
Heavy-duty and reliable
This riding mower is built for large lawns with a powerful engine and wide 54-in cutting deck.
1 Husqvarna TS 354XD Review
If you have a substantial lawn to keep mowed, a riding lawn mower will save you time and energy. And if you’re looking for the best riding lawn mower on the market, our top choice is the Husqvarna TS 354XD. This is a beast with a 726cc engine and hydrostatic transmission giving fast, reliable mowing.
The 54-inch steel cutting deck is impressive too, allowing you to handle large lawns with fewer passes. While the chunky tires distribute the weight, reducing damage to the grass.
The downside is the Husqvarna TS 354XD does require some assembly. But once assembled, this is an excellent lawn tractor for large lawns.
Craftsman T225 19 HP Briggs & Stratton Gold 46-Inch Gas Powered Riding Lawn Mower
Compact yet powerful
With a reverse mowing feature, you don’t need to pause your project to back up around obstacles.
2 Craftsman T225 Review
The Craftsman T225 is a smaller option but still sufficient for large lawns. With a reliable Briggs and Stratton engine and 48-inch cutting deck, it makes quick work of cutting and trimming lawns.
What makes this mower stand out is the ability to mow in reverse. There’s no need to pause to reverse out of a tight space or around an obstacle. Plus, it has a decent turn radius making it a good choice for awkward gardens or tight areas.
When it comes to value for money, the Craftsman T225 is easily the best riding mower on the market.
Troy-Bilt Pony 42X 547cc Riding Lawn Mower
Excellent budget option
The impressive 420cc engine and 7-speed transmission is made for hills and uneven lawns.
3 Troy-Bilt Pony 42X Review
For a budget riding mower, the Troy-Bilt Pony 42X doesn’t disappoint. The 420cc engine isn’t as powerful as our other picks but is sufficient enough for most large lawns and can take on slopes with relative ease. Plus, the 7-speed transmission is great for hills and uneven spots.
Although not as solidly built as our other picks, the Troy-Bilt Pony 42X is a reliable lawn tractor with a 42-inch steel deck with dual blades for an even finish. While the impressive 3-gallon engine gives plenty of fuel for large jobs.
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly lawn tractor for a large uneven lawn, the Troy-Bilt Pony 42X is a great choice.
Best Zero Turn Mower
Since the mowing deck is out in front of the mower rather than underneath, a zero-turn mower can quickly and easily mow around obstacles without having to reverse.
- Fast speed: Zero-turn mowers are the fastest riding mowers. This makes them popular for people with large lawns.
- Horse Power (HP): Heavy-duty engines of around 25HP or more easily handle large lawns or patches of weed with ease.
- Commercial hydraulics: Give a smooth ride even when turning or avoiding obstacles.
- Cutting deck width: With a wide cutting width, zero-turn mowers make quick work of large lawns. To keep your zero turn mower running smooth read our article about the best lawn mower lifts.
Best Zero Turn Mower Reviews of 2021
Husqvarna MZ61 61 in. 24 HP Kawasaki Hydrostatic Zero Turn Riding Mower
Maneuver obstacles with ease
The wide 61-inch cutting deck paired with zero turn capability makes large lawns with obstacles and trees easy to maintain.
1 Husqvarna MZ61 Review
For large lawns with trees, flowerbeds, or fencing, a zero turn lawn mower saves a lot of effort. You can easily turn with a zero radius to get around obstacles and get a nice close cut without knocking into things. If this sounds useful to you, the Husqvarna MZ61 is a top rated zero turn mower.
The powerful 24 HP Kawasaki engine gives a top speed of 6.5MPH which is impressive. While the 61-inch cutting deck makes quick work of large lawns and acreage. This Husqvarna zero radius mower is also incredibly comfortable with a high, padded seat and chunky wheels that give a smooth ride.
Although you’ll pay more for a zero turn lawn mower compared to a regular riding mower, the Husqvarna MZ61 the best option if this suits your needs.
Ariens 915223 IKON-X 52″ 23HP Kawasaki FR691 Zero Turn Mower
Good value refurbished model
A fully refurbished zero turn lawn mower giving you the power and performance of a commercial model at a great price.
2 Ariens 915223 Review
If you’re looking for value for money, the Ariens 915223 is a great option. This is a refurbished zero turn mower so you get the quality and power of an Ariens lawn mower for a great price. And this really is a commercial-grade mower. It has a 23HP Kawasaki engine and extra-wide 52-inch cutting deck.
The Ariens 915223 can’t handle inclines of over 15 degrees, so it’s best suited to large, flat lawns. Even so, it makes quick work of acres of land and is a comfortable ride with a high-back seat.
For a refurbished zero radius mower, the Ariens 915223 is a reliable choice and with a 3-year warranty, it’s great value for money.
Husqvarna Z254 54 in. 26 HP Kohler Hydrostatic Zero Turn Riding Mower
Impressive for the price
The powerful Kohler engine make this mower a great option for large flat lawns.
3 Husqvarna Z254 Review
For those who need a more compact zero turn mower that can more easily fit in a storage shed, the Husqvarna Z254 is an affordable option. But don’t let the smaller frame fool you, this is a heavy-duty zero turn lawn mower with an impressive 26 HP Kohler engine and wide 52-inch cutting deck.
Whereas our best in class pick comes with a Roll Over Protection Structure (ROPS), this zero turn lawn mower doesn’t. So, if this safety feature is important to you, then our best pick may be the better choice.
Even so, for the price point, the Husqvarna Z254 is a heavy-duty zero radius mower that’s reliable enough for large lawns.
Best Push Reel Mower
Reel lawn mowers aren’t efficient at cutting long grass. However, they keep grass trimmed and healthy once already cut short. For this reason, they’re often used on golf courses.
- Cutting width: Reel mowers range from 12 to 18 inches in width, depending on the size of your lawn.
- Multi-position height adjustment: The best reel lawn mowers have heigh adjustment to help you get the perfect cut, especially on manicured display lawns.
- Detachable cutting bag: If you don’t want to leave mulch on your lawn and you don’t have a lawn sweeper, find a reel lawn mower with a detachable bag for catching cuttings.
- Lightweight: Weighing around 20lbs, reel lawn mowers are one of the lightest options on the market.
Best Push Reel Mower Reviews of 2021
Fiskars 362050-1001 Stay Sharp Max 18 Inch Reel Mower
Easy to push
The innovative chain drive system and four-wheel design make this push reel mower much less effort to push.
1 Fiskars 362050-1001 Review
Do you have a small yard or patch of grass you want to keep trimmed? A reel mower is a cheap, effective option for the job. The Fiskars 362050-1001 is an online favorite for reel mowers. It’s solidly built with a chain drive making it much easier to push than other push reel lawn mowers. It’s also got an easy height adjustment lever for different grass lengths.
The best feature of this reel lawn mower is the inset wheels. This gives a crisp line that makes edging or working along fences much easier.
While this isn’t the lightest push reel mower, it’s functionality and performance make it one of the best on the market.
Greenworks 25052 16-Inch Reel Lawn Mower with Grass Catcher
Best for small lawns
Lightweight with a 16-inch cutting width, built for small yards and light trimming.
2 Greenworks 25052 Review
If you want something simple and lightweight, the Greenworks 25052 is another great reel mower. This one is slightly smaller with a 16-inch cutting width, but it’s still sufficient for small lawns. Plus, this Greenworks push reel mower comes with a detachable cutting bag if you don’t want to leave mulch as you go.
This one requires a little more effort to push than our best pick, but at 26lbs, it’s lightweight enough for most people. While the large front wheels make it easy enough to maneuver across grass.
Although the Greenworks 25052 is a little louder to operate than our best pick, it’s great value for money and another popular choice with gardeners.
American Lawn Mower Company 1204-14 14-Inch 4-Blade Push Reel Lawn Mower
An impressively lightweight reel lawn mower with a simple design for small lawns.
3 American Lawn Mower 1204-14 Review
Ultra-lightweight for a mower at just 20lbs, the American Lawn Mower 1204-14 is great for anyone who finds it hard to push around a regular lawn mower. Even though it’s a budget push reel mower, it’s well-made with alloy steel and 4 blades giving a total cutting width of 14 inches.
Although the American Lawn Mower 1204-14 doesn’t have rear wheels to stabilize it, it does have a rear roll bar for stability. Plus a .75” height adjustment designed for short, manicured lawns.
For the budget price-point, this is a popular reel lawn mower for small lawns and anyone looking for a simple tool for trimming and cutting manicured grass.
Best Trimmer Edger Mower Combo
- Easy conversion: A string trimmer clips into a base plate to quickly and easily convert it into a small lawn mower.
- Corded vs battery: If you want more flexibility, a cordless 3-in-1 lawn mower means you won’t be tied down by the power cord. Though you will need to keep the battery charged.
- Adjustable height: The best trimmer edger mowers have an adjustable height to keep your lawn perfectly manicured.
- Lightweight & compact: These small lawn mowers are a lightweight option that fold down for easy storage in small sheds.
- Edger for borders: This functionality allows you to make crisp, distinct boundaries between lawns and flowerbeds or patios.
Best Trimmer Edger Mower Combo Reviews of 2021
BLACK+DECKER MTC220 3-in-1 Lawn Mower String Trimmer and Edger
Best for small lawns
Easily convert this small mower into a string trimmer and edger to give maximum functionality for small lawns.
1 Black + Decker MTC220 Review
If you have a small lawn to keep neat and tidy, a small lawn mower is better option than a standard mower. The Black + Decker MTC220 has 3-in-1 functionality meaning it converts from a lawn mower to a string trimmer and an edger. With an adjustable length, handle, and removable base, this is a versatile tool for small lawns.
Although this 3-in-1 lawn mower isn’t powerful enough for large lawns or long overgrowth, it does have an adjustable height to help keep your lawn the perfect length. And since it’s battery powered, you don’t need to worry about being restricted by a cord.
If you have a garden under 750 sq ft, the Black + Decker MTC220 is the best small lawn mower that makes mowing, trimming, and edging quick and easy.
BLACK+DECKER BESTA512CM Electric Lawn Mower
Corded small 3-in-1 lawn mower
With unlimited run-time and a decent motor, this corded small lawn mower is a more reliable option.
2 Black + Decker BESTA512CM Review
If you’d prefer unlimited run-time for your trimmer edger mower, the Black + Decker BESTA512CM is a reliable corded alternative. The 6.5-amp motor is decent enough for longer grass as well as weeds, although it’s still best suited to small lawns.
But just like our best in class pick, it has an adjustable height as well as adjustable handles and length to give the most control and precision.
You’ll need an extension lead since one isn’t included, but for a corded small lawn mower, the Black + Decker BESTA512CM is still great value for money.
BLACK+DECKER MTD100 Lawn Mower Removable Deck for String Trimmer
Removable deck only
Easily turn your string trimmer into a small lawn mower with this easy-to-use mower deck.
3 Black + Decker MTD100 Review
Do you already own a Black + Decker string trimmer? If so, the Black + Decker MTD100 will easily convert it into a small lawn mower, saving you money on buying the full tool. Simply clip your weed eater into this deck to turn it into a lawn mower.
Bear in mind that the Black + Decker MTD100 isn’t compatible with all Black + Decker string trimmers, so make sure yours is listed before purchasing.
Best Gas Push Mower
Although gas-powered mowers are loud, they’re not restricted by a cord and there’s no need to worry about recharging batteries, which is especially useful if you have a large lawn.
- Heavy-duty engine: Most walk-behind gas lawn mowers range from 120 to 180cc. The more powerful the engine, the better the performance on sloping or uneven lawns.
- Pull-cord vs electric start: Although many gas mowers have a pull cord, many newer models come with an effortless electric start for easier operation.
- 95-100 decibels: Gas-powered mowers are the loudest. At this decibel range, you may need ear protection.
- Fuel requirements: Most gas lawn mowers need unleaded gasoline as well as high-quality engine oil.
Best Gas Push Mower Reviews of 2021
Craftsman M105 3-in-1 Gas Powered Push Lawn Mower with Bagger
With an impressive Briggs and Stratton engine, this gas push lawn mower powers through overgrown grass.
1 Craftsman M105 Review
For consistent results when mowing long, overgrown grass, the Craftsman M105 is the best gas lawn mower. The powerful 140cc engine makes quick work of overgrowth while the easy height adjuster lets you customize to your desired length.
The wheels on the Craftsman M105 are quite small which can make it tough to push through overgrown grass. But once you get started, it runs like a dream.
If you want a reliable gas-powered lawn mower for a small to mid-sized garden, the Craftsman M105 is our top choice.
PowerSmart DB2321PR 21-inch 170CC Gas Powered Push Lawn Mower
Excellent value for money
With 5 height adjustments and a heavy-duty engine, this gas lawn mower is a popular choice.
2 PowerSmart DB2321PR Review
True to its name, the PowerSmart DB2321PR is a more powerful option with a large 170cc engine. This can easily take on the tallest overgrowth with relative ease. This gas push lawn mower also has 5 height adjustments, giving more options for getting the perfect length.
We particularly like how the handle folds over completely, making it much easier to store in a small shed or storage bin.
For the value price point, the PowerSmart DB2321PR has some excellent features making it a popular choice with gardeners and landscapers alike.
PowerSmart DB8621CR 4-Stroke Gas Powered Push Lawn Mower
Ideal for smaller yards
The low dome deck design and powerful engine make this gas lawn mower perfect for mulching.
3 PowerSmart DB8621CR Review
With a compact design and low profile, the PowerSmart DB8621CR is best suited to smaller yards and narrow spaces. Like our value pick, this gas push mower has a heavy-duty 170cc engine as well as 5 height settings that will power through grass with ease.
The low design is especially good for mulching and removing stubborn weeds without the need of a weed wacker. While the side discharge means you won’t get covered in cuttings as you go.
Overall, if you’re looking for a budget-friendly gas-powered lawn mower, the PowerSmart DB8621CR is a great choice.
Best Robotic Lawn Mower
Robot lawn mowers are an expensive option and best for small, flat lawns. However, they are a good choice if you find it difficult to cut your lawn and keep it looking tidy.
- Pegged perimeter: A wire perimeter needs to be pegged in place which acts as a guide for the robot lawn mower.
- Theft alarm: The best robot lawn mowers have a built-in theft alarm and user code for security.
- Recharge station: When its running low on battery, the robot takes itself back to the recharge station. Larger units can work on lawns over an acre without issue.
- Rain sensor: Detects when it’s raining and goes back to the charging station to prevent the grass from becoming swampy.
Best Robotic Lawn Mower Reviews of 2021
Husqvarna 450XH Automower Robotic High Cut Lawn Mower
Great for large lawns
Able to keep up to 1.5 acres trimmed with an adjustable height, this robo mower is the perfect choice for large lawns.
1 Husqvarna 450XH Review
You can take the hard work out of lawn care completely with an automatic robotic lawn mower. The Husqvarna 450XH quietly and efficiently cuts lawns up to 1.5 acres. The adjustable height allows you to set it up to 3.6 inches to get a perfectly manicured lawn with no effort.
Fitted with an anti-theft alarm and a security pin code, the Husqvarna 450XH is perfect for front and back lawns with minimal risk of theft or damage. While the rubber bumper and GPS navigation mean it won’t cause any unwanted damage while at work.
When it comes to the best robot lawn mowers, it’s clear to see why the Husqvarna 450XH is our top choice.
Worx WR153 Landroid L 20V Power Share Robotic Lawn Mower with GPS
Best for medium lawns
Capable of maintaining half an acre, this robot lawn mower is excellent value for money.
2 Worx WR153 Review
If you have a mid-sized lawn to cut, the Worx WR153 is great value for money. With a 20V battery and recharge station, it’s designed for gardens up to ½ an acre. And with an offset cutting disk, it gets much closer to fences and obstacles to give the best results.
Although this robotic lawn mower doesn’t have an anti-theft alarm, it does come with a rain sensor. This will send it back to the charging station when it begins to rain to avoid cutting wet grass and creating mud or sludge.
For the price point, the Worx WR153 is great value for money and the best option for mid-sized lawns.
Worx WR140 Landroid M 20V Power Share Robotic Lawn Mower
Made for small gardens
With a range of up to ¼ acre on a single charge, this is the best option for smaller lawns.
3 Worx WR140 Review
The Worx WR140 is the smaller counterpart of our value pick. Designed to cover up to a ¼ acre on a single charge, this robo mower is best for small lawns. Even so, it has a decent 20V battery which is compatible with all Worx gardening gear including the hedge trimmers, leaf blower, and more.
Plus, this small robotic lawn mower comes with offset cutting blades to get as close to edges as possible, saving you effort with a edger. As well as the innovative rain sensor to avoid cutting in the rain.
For small gardens, the Worx WR140 is a great option for keeping manicured lawns looking their best.
Best Walk-Behind Weed Eater
If you want a mower to keep your lawn neat and tidy, a walk-behind string trimmer isn’t for you. But these are a useful tool for cutting through weeds and long overgrowth with ease, similar to a brush cutter.
- Engine size: Walk-behind string trimmers are always gas-powered. Anything above 150cc engine is powerful enough to cut through most overgrowth and weeds.
- Never kill engine: The best walk-behind string trimmers have a never kill engine, meaning it doesn’t cut out when you disengage the cutting head to pick up large branches or other obstacles.
- Wheel size: Large wheels are needed to traverse the toughest terrain and overgrowth with ease. The best walk-behind string trimmers have 12 to 14 inch wheels.
- Swivel cutting head: This allows you to get as close to trees, fences, and other obstacles as possible for the best results.
Best Walk-Behind Weed Eater Reviews of 2021
EARTHQUAKE 28463 M205 150cc 4-Cycle Viper Engine Walk Behind String Mower
Ideal for thick weeds and overgrowth
With a heavy-duty 150cc engine and oversized rear tires, this walk-behind string trimmer will cut through anything.
1 Earthquake 28463 Review
Although a walk-behind string trimmer doesn’t take the place of a regular lawn mower, they are a more effective tool for thick weeds, tall overgrowth, and clearance. If your garden is very overgrown or you have land that needs clearing, the Earthquake 28463 is the best walk-behind string trimmer on the market.
With a powerful 150cc 4-Cycle Viper engine, it can easily work through thick thatch and weeds with ease. The 14-inch rear wheels make it much easier to push over uneven terrain than a regular walk-behind lawn mower. While the large 22-inch cutting swath makes quick work of large areas.
If you have uneven terrain, thick overgrowth, or hillsides to clear, the Earthquake 28463 is our top choice.
Southland SWFT15022 Outdoor Power Equipment 150cc Field Trimmer
Powerful but compact
For those with limited storage space, this walk-behind string trimmer has a compact build and folding handle.
2 Southland SWFT15022 Review
Featuring the same powerful engine and wide 22-inch cutting swath, the Southland SWFT15022 is excellent value for money. It’s a little more compact in its build but has no trouble powering through overgrowth and very tall grass.
The main difference is the smaller tires. The Southland SWFT15022 has smaller, 12-inch wheels which aren’t as good at traversing rocky or uneven terrain. Even so, this powerful walk-behind string trimmer is a reliable choice for the money.
It also comes with a folding handle for better storage. So if you’re short on storage space, the Southland SWFT15022 is a good option for you.
Southland Outdoor Power Equipment SWSTM4317 2-Cycle Wheeled String Trimmer
Small but multi-functional
The 30-degree swiveling head allow you to get much closer to trees and obstacles with less effort.
3 Southland SWSTM4317 Review
The Southland SWSTM4317 is the smallest of our three picks with a 43cc engine and 17-inch cutting swath. This makes it more suited to mid-sized gardens, but it can still live up to thick thatch and overgrowth without a problem.
The best feature of the Southland SWSTM4317 is the swivel string trimmer head. It swivels up to 30 degrees which helps it get much closer to fences, tress, and other obstacles without the need for difficult maneuvering.
The Southland SWSTM4317 can also be turned into a powerful edger or leaf blower with separate attachments making it a versatile option for homeowners at a great price.
Best Tow Behind Trail Mower
A pull behind mower is a commercial-quality mower designed for large, open areas. An expensive alternative to a standard lawn mower, it offers a practical solution for large lawns.
- Universal hitch: Easily attach to any lawn tractor, ATV, or other utility vehicle just like a lawn mower dump cart.
- Extra-wide cutting deck: At around 65 inches, pull-behind mowers are the largest option to make mowing large lawns significantly faster.
- 500cc+ engine size: Commercial-grade engines above 500cc give enough power for the best results every time.
- Key starter: The best pull-behind mowers have an electric key start to eliminate the strenuous job of pull starting.
- Fuel tank capacity: The larger the fuel tank, the fewer stops for refueling even in large fields. Anything over 2 gallons will minimize refueling.
Best Tow Behind Trail Mower Reviews of 2021
Swisher FC14560CPKA 14.5 HP Kawasaki 60″ Commercial Pro Trail Mower
Best commercial trail mower
This commercial pull-behind mower features a powerful 603cc engine and massive 60-inch cutting width for fields.
1 Swisher FC14560CPKA Review
Do you have a tractor or ATV you want to hook a mower up to? The Swisher FC14560CPKA is the best pull-behind mower for acres of land and fields. This commercial-quality trail mower has a 603cc Kawasaki electric start engine as well as Gator commercial mulching blades for meadows and fields, making this a popular choice for farmers.
The wide 60-inch cutting deck is a great size to minimize time spend mowing. While the 5 adjustable height settings include an anti-scalp setting to avoid ruining patches of uneven ground as you go.
Overall, the Swisher FC14560CPKA is an excellent choice of commercial tow-behind mower for professional and domestic use.
Swisher RC14544CPKA 14.5HP Kawasaki 44″ Commercial Pro Rough Cut Trailcutter
Compact yet powerful
With a smaller cutting deck of 44 inches, this pull-behind mower is a good choice for landowners.
2 Swisher RC14544CPKA Review
If you’re looking for a tow-behind mower to maintain acres of land rather than commercial fields or meadows, the Swisher RC14544CPKA is a smaller option. It’s still powerful enough for expansive areas with a 603cc electric start engine but features a smaller 44-inch cutting deck.
This is also a more compact trail mower with two wheels rather than four. So although it can live up to acres of land, it’s not as suited to commercial fieldwork.
Swisher FC10544CL Classic 44″ 10.5 HP Finish Cut Trail Mower
Best for smaller areas
With the smallest engine and fewer blades, this pull-behind mower is a cost-effective option for homeowners.
3 Swisher FC10544CL Review
The Swisher FC10544CL is our smallest option with a 344cc engine and two commercial mulch blades. This one is best suited for landowners but isn’t powerful enough to take on large fields or commercial mowing work.
Like our value pick, it has a 44-inch cutting deck which makes quick work of cutting long grass. However, the downside of this tow-behind mower is that it doesn’t come with electric push start. The pull cord start can be a little strenuous, but for the budget price point, this is an expected feature.
Overall, a decent choice for anyone looking for a tow-behind mower at a cost-effective price point.
Lawn Mower Buying Guide
Best lawn mower brands
There are many great brands on the market when it comes to lawn mowers. Here are some of the best lawn mower brands to consider when choosing yours:
- Greenworks lawn mowers: are the gold standard of lawn mowers. This brand is a popular choice for homeowners and professional gardeners since they have a range of cordless, electric, and self-propelled lawn mowers at a good range of price points.
- Husqvarna lawn mowers: are some of the best riding lawn mowers on the market. This brand is known for building quality riding mowers with powerful engines. Although they are in the higher price bracket, Husqvarna riding mowers are a good investment.
- Craftsman lawn mowers: are a cost-effective option for homeowners on a budget. Although not as solidly built as some other brands, Craftsman is known for quality gas, self-propelled, and riding lawn mowers.
- Sun Joe lawn mowers: are a good budget option. Sun Joe is most known for cordless lawn mowers in the low price point. They aren’t the best quality compared to others, but still a reliable brand for homeowners who do semi-regular mowing during the growing season.
- American Lawn Mower: is a brand most known for their electric lawn mowers, however, they also offer quality reel mowers for small lawns. As a lesser-known brand, they are in the mid-price point but a good alternative to expensive top brands.
- Ariens lawn mowers: are a reliable, quality option for anyone looking to invest. Ariens is a well-established brand that makes quality zero turn mowers for anyone with awkward gardens with a lot of obstacles to navigate around.
Some other good lawn mower brands to think about include Lawn-Boy, Black + Decker, and PowerSmart.
What is the best type of lawn mower for my lawn?
The size of your garden and level of lawn care needed will determine which type of lawn mower is best for you:
- Cordless lawn mower: Battery-powered, giving great flexibility. Can be suited to large gardens as long as you have a back-up battery pack charging to swap out.
- Electric lawn mower: Give unlimited run-time but are restricted by the cord, making them a good choice for small to medium-sized gardens.
- Gas lawn mower: Powerful option for homeowners who have medium to large gardens with long grass and weeds.
- Self-propelled lawn mower: Whatever fuel type you go for, a self-propelled mower makes it much less effort to push around large gardens, especially if you have long overgrowth.
- Riding lawn mower / Lawn tractor: A heavy-duty option for large gardens and acreage. Saves time and energy pushing a walk-behind lawn mower.
- Zero-turn lawn mower: These are ride-on mowers that turn with a zero radius. This is a good option if you have a lot of obstacles such as trees or flowerbeds to navigate around.
- Reel mower: A manual option for small gardens. They are harder to push around but lightweight and an affordable option for small areas.
- Trimmer edger mower: A 3-in-1 tool that lets you mow the grass, trim overgrowth, and create crisp edges with one tool. Best suited to small gardens.
- Robot lawn mower: An automatic tool that cuts the grass for you. Can be used on most sizes of lawn but are expensive to buy and install.
- Walk-behind string trimmer: A heavy-duty option for severe overgrowth and thick weeds. Made to be pushed much more easily over tough terrain.
- Pull-behind lawn mower: Can be hooked up to a tractor to ATV to make mowing very large areas quick and easy. A popular commercial option for farmers and landscapers.
Electric or gas mower: Which is best?
This question depends on your needs. Let’s take a look at some of the similarities and differences to help you pick the best one:
Electric lawn mowers
Gas lawn mowers
Best for small to medium lawns
Best for large lawns
Cordless are not restricted by a cord
Not restricted by a cord
Quiet to run
Very loud to run
Higher maintenance – may need servicing
No need to worry about fuel
Must add fuel and oil regularly
How to start a lawn mower
The hardest push lawn mowers to start have a pull cord. This needs to be pulled quickly to start the engine. However, if you haven’t started your mower in a while, you may find this is hard to do and may need to give it a hard pull several times. If your mower has a choke, make sure to turn this off as soon as the engine turns over.
On the other hand, electric push-starts are much easier and turn on with the push of a button. Make sure your battery is fully charged before trying to turn it on to help preserve your battery.
How to sharpen lawn mower blades
It’s best to sharpen your mower blades twice a season to prevent them from going dull. Start by removing the spark plug to stop the motor from accidentally starting up while you work. Next, turn the mower on its side to reach the blades. You’ll need a long-handled wrench to remove the bolts keeping the blades in place.
Once removed, clamp the blade in a vice to hold it still, and sharpen with a file. You should keep going until the blades are about as sharp as a butter knife.
If you don’t have the tools to sharpen your own mower blades, you may be able to find a local handyman who will service your mower and sharpen the blades at the same time.