Best Infrared Heater Reviews of 2020
EdenPURE A5551b Trusted Comfort Heater
24 heat settings and two power modes
High-end domestic heater perfectly adapts to all heating needs.
1 EdenPURE A5551b Review
Designed to address all domestic demands, the EdenPURE A5551b is the best portable infrared heater you could come across. This versatile unit comes with a Positive Temperature Coefficient (PTC) copper element developed to heat environments up to 1,000 square feet.
An optimal level of comfort can be easily achieved via the 24 heat settings, while the two power modes improve the unit’s energy efficiency by letting you switch from 1,000 to 1,500 watts depending on your needs. This unit performs exceptionally in maintaining a constant temperature thanks to an innovative smart sensor that prevents the element from getting hotter than the set temperature.
By maintaining a constant environmental humidity and oxygen levels, this unit also ensures all degrees of comfort. Safe to use even near children and pets, the unit is also designed to keep all exposed surfaces at a bearable temperature.
Perfect for the homeowner looking for top heating performance, the EdenPURE A5551b is no doubt the best infrared heater your money could buy.
EdenPURE A5095 Gen2 Pure Infrared Heater
Heater and air sanitizer in one
Sleek design and high-end heating capacity make this heater perfect for all domestic environments.
2 EdenPURE A5095 Review
Packed with top-notch features and coming at an attractive price point, the EdenPURE A5095 brings healthy heat to your home. Warming environments up to 1,000 square feet, the A5095 boasts a compact bookshelf design that finds its place even in the smaller rooms.
Similar to our best-in-class pick, this infrared heater remains cold to touch during operation while an electric thermostat maintains the temperature under control and prevents overheating. A great feature is a heat on/off function which allows the unit to circulate and purify the air even in the summertime. Operating the unit is made easy by a convenient remote control, while the quiet mode allows you to keep the heater turned on even during the night.
Convenient to incorporate into your home thanks to its minimalist design and having the ability to both heat and purify the air, the EdenPURE A5095 undoubtedly delivers the best value for money.
Unique Heat Next Gen 2 Infrared Space Heater
Advanced infrared system
Unique infrared heater designed to warm up and purify the air in a breeze.
3 Unique Heat Next Gen 2 Review
The Unique Heat Next Gen 2 comes as an interesting alternative to our best-value pick. Acting as an infrared heater and ultraviolet air purifier in one, this unit outputs a safe, burn-resistant warmth while reducing the fire hazards.
The advanced infrared system is also designed to keep the air humid and is perfect to use in enclosed spaces with little air flow.
This heater is built with convenience in mind; an intuitive control panel allows you to program the running time, set the intensity of the heat from 1 to 10, and turn the air sanitizer on and off. For convenience, the temperature is displayed in both Celsius and Fahrenheit degrees. Easy to control and transport from one room to another, this unit is perfect for the busy homeowner who wants programmable control.
Dr Infrared Heater DR968 Portable Space Heater
Budget heating system with three power settings
Infrared and convection heat technologies meet in a powerful and effective heater.
4 Dr. Infrared DR968 Review
The Dr. Infrared Heater DR968 claims to be the first infrared heater to feature a dual heating system, and while it’s hard to say whether or not this is true, it is indeed the only dual heating system that comes at such a competitive price point.
The dual heating system allows you to choose between max power at 1,500 watts peak or energy saving on the 1,000 watts setting. The auto energy saving mode, however, allows you to achieve the best balance between performance and energy consumption. The unit also couples the advantages of infrared and convection heat technologies to heat your spaces faster and more efficiently.
Packed with positive features, stylish, and available at an attractive price point, Dr. Infrared Heater DR968 is perhaps the best infrared heater for all budget savvy spenders.
1. Why invest in an electric infrared heater?
In the recent years, the infrared heaters have witnessed a true boom in popularity. They come with many benefits and are perhaps the most efficient home heating option in terms of running costs.
Electric infrared heaters
This comes with praised advantages, as these heaters not only warm up your house more effectively, but they are also safer to use than most alternatives. The technology involved heats the environment through radiation, in a way similar to the sun. In other words, the electric heater doesn’t burn the oxygen in the room, thus it doesn’t emit carbon dioxide. Besides, infrared heaters don’t reduce the humidity level in the room either, maintaining the environment healthier.
Thanks to the same technology, the heating elements never get extremely hot, which allows the appliance to maintain its exposed surfaces cool to touch during operation.
Other benefits of the infrared heaters include:
- Low operation costs
- Little to no maintenance
- No UV radiations (on standard models)
- Silent operation
- No open flames
2. The Best Infrared Heaters in 2019 & 2020
3. Types of infrared heaters
Infrared heaters can be classified as electric and fuel powered. The former is more popular for indoor use whereas propane or natural gas-powered infrared heaters are widely used to heat outdoor spaces like patios or gazebos.
The electric infrared heaters can be further classified into portable and freestanding units.
- Portable infrared heaters: Are compact and lightweight appliances provided with wheels for easy transport from one room to another.
- Freestanding infrared heaters: Vary in size from compact units small enough to fit on a countertop to large appliances that mimic fireplaces. These heaters are not built for mobility, but depending on the actual size, you may be able to move it as needed.
Both the portable and the freestanding units radiate heat through infrared elements; however, some models employ a combination of technologies that use both infrared and another form of heating (usually convection heat) to increase energy efficiency.
4. Heating element
Most infrared heaters use a heating element composed of multiple infrared modules, known as emitter banks. These modules can be made of different materials which are more or less effective in radiating heat.
- Metal wire elements: Are the granddaddy of the infrared heating. They were invented back in 1920 and their technology remained almost unchanged to these days. Wire elements consist of a core made of chrome or copper, or sometimes of a combination of chrome and nickel. The wire is casted into a ceramic body and produces temperatures between 300°F and 750°F. Heat is then transferred to the ceramic element which will ultimately radiate it.
- Quartz elements: Are tubes made of a combination of quartz and tungsten, usually airtight sealed with ceramic. These heating elements are more effective in warming the environment.
- Far-infrared elements: Rarely employed in the construction of domestic space heaters due to their costs, the far-infrared elements are the most efficient. They usually consist of heating panels instead of tubes and emit long-wave infrared radiation that provides a uniform heating of the environment.
Quartz elements heat faster and distribute heat more effectively than the metal wire elements, but the heaters equipped with quartz elements are usually expensive. This explains the higher popularity of the metal wire infrared heaters.
5. Heating capacity
As important as the heating element is the heating capacity. Infrared heaters designed for home use are operated by small to medium-size heating elements which rarely exceed 1,500 watts. The table below shows what heating capacity to look for to heat a small, medium, or large room.
Room size (ft.)
10 x 12
12 x 16
14 x 18
6. Other features to look for
- The design of the unit is an important feature to consider, and not only from an aesthetic standpoint. The best infrared heater has to be functional and portable, especially if you plan to move the unit from room to room. Some units come with wheels and handles that allow an easy transition from one space to another.
- Anti-skid feet may be important if you want to place the heater on a hard floor or countertop. Many heaters have aesthetically pleasing designs and decorative elements that can easily adorn your interior.
- A thermostat is essential if you want to turn the heater on and forget about it for the rest of the winter. You will be able to set a temperature for the appliance to maintain or implement a heating schedule by programming the unit to run only between certain hours.
- The most advanced infrared heaters have the ability to keep their exterior cool to touch. This is an important safety feature especially if you have kids or pets, but it’s also nice for you, as there is no risk to get burned if you accidentally touch the heater’s surface.
- Some infrared heaters come equipped with air humidifiers and air sanitizers. Both elements keep the environment healthier, albeit through different means. The former maintains an adequate level of humidity in the room, which is essential for preventing dry skin and congestions. The latter kills airborne germs through UV radiations.
- Don’t underestimate the possibility to control the unit remotely. A remote control comes in handy when you’re already in bed, for example, and want to turn the unit on or off. If the infrared heater you like doesn’t have a remote control, at least make sure it has an intuitive control panel.
- Also, check the length of the power cord. Some infrared heaters come with very short cords that may be inconvenient to use. It is not recommended to use an extension cord to plug in the appliance because the cord can overheat and burst into fire. For the same reason, it is also recommended to avoid plugging the heater into an outlet shared with other electrical devices.
7. The Best Infrared Heater for the Money
EdenPURE A5095 Gen2 Pure Infrared HeaterHeater and air sanitizer in one
Sleek design and high-end heating capacity make this heater perfect for all domestic environments.