Eley 1043-GH Portable Garden Hose Reel Cart
Best two-wheel hose reel cart
Sturdy yet surprisingly lightweight construction makes it easy to haul around your yard.
1 Eley 1043-GH Review
Homeowners looking for the best hose reel cart can easily fall for the Eley 1043-GH. Ideal for smaller and bigger yards alike, it impresses with its two-wheel design and sturdy, aluminum frame.
Well balanced and stable, it’s tip-resistant on most surfaces. Oversized wheels also make it easy to push or pull on most terrains.
Fixed on the frame, the popular hose reel from Eley can hold up to 150 feet of 5/8-inch hose, or up to 100 feet of ¾-inch hose, depending on your needs. Regardless of your choice, winding the hose is very easy, thanks to the swivel feature.
An included polyurethane inlet hose brings further value, and overall, this reel cart is stable, durable, and reliable. All that you need for most watering tasks.
Liberty Garden 870-M1-2 300-Feet Industrial 4-Wheel Garden Hose Reel Cart
Best domestic hose reel cart
Brass hose connections and 5-foot leader hose bring outstanding value for money.
2 Liberty Garden 870-M1-2 Review
With a design inspired by the vintage garden carts, the Liberty Garden 870-M1-2 is your best bet if you need a hose reel cart for home use. Sturdy enough to serve commercial applications, but affordable enough to appeal to homeowners, this hose reel cart is perfect for a big yard.
It can hold up to 300 feet of 5/8-inch hose, and comes with a 5-foot long inlet hose; sure, you can use a longer inlet hose should you want to, making this reel cart perfect for properties larger than an acre.
We particularly like the four-wheel construction that makes it easier to haul around. Furthermore, the 10-inch pneumatic tires deliver exceptional balance.
Impressing with a large capacity and its capability of keeping the hose neat with minimal effort, this is undoubtedly the best hose reel cart for the money.
Strongway 49461 400-Feet Garden Hose Reel Cart
Best commercial hose reel cart
Heavy-duty, tubular steel construction enhances durability and makes this hose reel cart perfect for commercial applications.
3 Strongway 49461 Review
The Strongway 49461 can serve homeowners, but at its core, this bad boy appeals to professional gardeners and landscapers. It stands out thanks to its heavy-duty, tubular steel construction, which enhances durability.
Like our best value, it boasts a four-wheel design and comes equipped with rugged, 10-inch tires. A heavy-duty reel can hold up to 400 feet of 5/8-inch hose, while the included inlet hose has a length of 6 feet.
Not only it’s easy to haul around a big plot; we also like the integrated basket. A hybrid between a hose reel cart and a dump cart, you can use it to carry both the hose and some accessories, including small gardening tools or nozzles.
Sure, you’ll have to pay for all these features, but rest assured that this reel cart is truly worth every dime.
Suncast JSF175 Hosemobile Reel Cart Hose Caddy
A budget alternative
This inexpensive hose reel caddy is a perfect choice for smaller yards and homeowners on a budget.
4 Suncast JSF175 Review
If you have a small backyard or a tiny vegetable garden, the Suncast JSF175 could be the best hose reel cart for you.
Design-wise, it’s similar to our best in class. It has two wheels and a sturdy frame that adds balance and stability. The main difference between the two is the material. The Suncast is made from durable plastic rather than metal.
But don’t just assume it will break easily. It’s strong and durable, and it can hold up to 175 feet of 5/8-inch hose.
Compact and cheap, yet sturdy and reliable, this garden hose reel caddy is the best choice for small properties and small budgets.
Best Hose Reel Cart 2021 Buying Guide
Cabinet vs. wheeled hose reel carts. Which is best for you?
Garden hose reels come in a variety of styles, but among the portable kinds, you can choose between cabinet and wheeled hose reel carts.
- Cabinet hose reels: Can be easily moved from one place to another, but you can’t haul them around the lawn or garden. They are ideal if you want the flexibility of storing the hose in a shed when not in use, for example, but are not the best choice for a larger property where you have to push or pull the water hose reel across the yard.
- Hose reel carts: Are also portable but equipped with two or four wheels. This design makes it easy to move the cart from one side of the property to the other and is ideal for large properties or landscapers. You can choose from manual or tow-behind carts too, depending on the actual size of the lawn and applications.
Types of hose reel carts
A hose reel cart may be ideal for large yards and gardens or professional use, but not all models were created equal. Depending on your needs, you can decide between:
- Manual hose reel carts work just like the push behind dump carts, in that you have to push or pull them by hand. These models are preferred by homeowners as well as most landscapers. Equipped with wheels, they can easily follow you wherever you need to water a row of vegetables, lawn or flowerbed. Typically, these carts are perfect for properties up to 1 – 1.5 acres.
- Tow behind hose reel carts are very similar to the tow behind dump carts or garden carts. They are suitable for very large properties, and often employed by farmers or ranchers for their watering needs. Most models come with universal hitch systems and can attach to a lawn tractor, zero turn mower, or even ATVs. Typically, these models are used on properties larger than 1 acre.
Two-wheel or four-wheel hose reel cart?
If you’re a homeowner or landscaper, it is quite easy to understand that a push model is the best hose reel cart for you. That said, you might now wonder whether you should opt for a model with two or four wheels.
- Two-wheel reel carts: Have a compact footprint and are ideal for yards up to half an acre. Moving them will require a bit of effort, as they must be pushed like a dolly or reel lawn mower, but the stability offered by their two front feet makes them suitable to use on sloped terrains. Typically, these carts have a hose length capacity between 100 and 175 feet.
- Four-wheel reel carts: Are usually larger than the two-wheel models, but they are easier to haul. You can either push or pull the cart, as needed, and some of the best models even come with storage baskets you can use for keeping gardening tools, hose nozzles, or other accessories. The main downside is that these carts are unstable on slopes with inclinations higher than 10-15%. Most four-wheel garden hose reel carts have a hose length capacity of 300 feet or over.
What wheel size should a hose reel cart have?
Hose reel carts come with various types of wheels, usually between 6 and 10 inches in diameter. In most cases, no-flat 6-inch wheels are ideal for flat terrains with little to no obstacles. However, if you want the cart to roll smoothly, 10-inch pneumatic wheels are desirable. They are more expensive but are easier to maneuver and provide increased stability when the cart is idle.
Plastic vs. metal hose reel carts. What is the difference?
A quick look on the market reveals that manufacturers build their water hose carts in either plastic or metal – usually tubular steel or aluminum.
- Plastic hose reel carts: Are lightweight and cheap. Some of the best affordable hose reel carts made from plastic can hold up to 175 feet of 5/8-inch hose, which is sufficient for most homeowners. These models are also immune to rust and corrosion, but excessive temperatures or direct exposure to sunlight might affect the composition of the material.
- Metal hose reel carts: Represent a better investment if you don’t mind spending a bit more for a really durable product. You can choose between aluminum and steel. The former is lightweight and rust-resistant, but it’s not as durable as steel. If you decide to go for a steel model, make sure it’s powder-coated to prevent rust and corrosion. Most metal carts can hold 200 feet of 5/8-inch hose or more.
Features to look for when buying the best hose reel cart
Besides everything discussed above, there are a few other features you should check out if you want to make sure the cart you like is the best hose reel cart for you:
- Accessories: Most garden hose reels connect to the garden faucet through an inlet hose that attaches to a water coupler on the reel. Some of the best garden hose reel carts have these inlet hoses included in the package but don’t take it for granted. If you don’t want to buy it separately, check if the cart you like comes with one.
- Basket: A basket or tray for accessories is a nice thing to have. You can use it to store hose nozzles or small gardening tools, such as a hand rake or pruner.
- Design: Aesthetics often comes second when choosing a hose reel cart, but this doesn’t mean that all models are ugly. Some hose reel carts have attractive, vintage-inspired designs, or you could choose a decorative model.