Best Hose Reel Cart Reviews of 2021
Backyard Expressions Commercial Hose Reel Cart
A heavy-duty hose reel cart
Heavy-duty metal construction, high hose capacity, and never-flat wheels make it perfect for all your watering needs.
1 Backyard Expressions 908196 Review
Do you have a large vegetable garden or yard? The Backyard Expressions 908196 could be the best hose reel cart for you. Designed for large spaces and heavy-duty watering needs, it features a 350-feet garden hose capacity.
An ergonomic handle and large never-flat wheels make pushing a cinch. The cart also has excellent stability and rolls easily on all kinds of terrain.
As you’d expect from a top-class product, this hose reel cart comes with a 5-foot leader hose and has all fittings you need to connect the garden hose immediately. An accessory basket also boasts convenience, giving you plenty of space for nozzles, gardening gloves, and even small tools.
Liberty Garden 870-M1-2 300-Feet Industrial 4-Wheel Garden Hose Reel Cart
Best domestic hose reel cart
Brass hose connections and 5-foot leader hose bring outstanding value for money.
2 Liberty Garden 870-M1-2 Review
With a design inspired by the vintage garden carts, the Liberty Garden 870-M1-2 is your best bet if you need a hose reel cart for home use. Sturdy enough to serve commercial applications, but affordable enough to appeal to homeowners, this hose reel cart is perfect for a big yard.
It can hold up to 300 feet of 5/8-inch hose, and comes with a 5-foot long inlet hose; sure, you can use a longer inlet hose should you want to, making this reel cart perfect for properties larger than an acre.
We particularly like the four-wheel construction that makes it easier to haul around. Furthermore, the 10-inch pneumatic tires deliver exceptional balance.
Impressing with a large capacity and its capability of keeping the hose neat with minimal effort, this is undoubtedly the best hose reel cart for the money.
AMES 2385580 ReelEasy Folding Cart Reel
Ideal for smaller yards
Two 8-inch wheels allow for seamless mobility, while the front feet are a balance guarantee.
3 AMES 2385580 Review
Do you need a hose reel cart for a shorter hose and smaller yard? Then check out the AMES 2385580. Designed with homeowners in mind, this plastic cart is light and easy to haul around.
It doesn’t have four wheels as our top picks, but the two 8-inch wheels and ergonomic handle still ensure easy mobility. At the same time, balance is increased on uneven grounds.
The cart can hold up to 175 feet of 5/8 garden hose and comes with a leader hose. It has no basket but has two slots for nozzle storage. Foldable and convenient, it is an excellent choice if you don’t want to break the bank.
KLZ_KLZ 150 ft. Hose Reel Cart and Hideaway
A budget alternative
A smaller capacity but attractive price tag makes it perfect for homeowners on a budget.
4 KLZ_KLZ 150 ft. Review
An alternative for those with small yards, the KLZ_KLZ 150 ft. is very similar to the AMES 2385580. However, it has a hose capacity of only 150 feet and only features one nozzle storage slot.
That said, you can expect the same lightweight plastic frame. Design-wise, this cart has two rear wheels and two front legs for added balance. Like most hose reel carts, it comes with a leader hose.
This hose reel cart might not last for a lifetime, but it’s easy to maneuver and cheap—a nice treat for those on a tight budget.
Cabinet vs. wheeled hose reel carts. Which is best for you?
Garden hose reels come in a variety of styles, but among the portable kinds, you can choose between cabinet and wheeled hose reel carts.
- Cabinet hose reels: Can be easily moved from one place to another, but you can’t haul them around the lawn or garden. They are ideal if you want the flexibility of storing the hose in a shed when not in use, for example, but are not the best choice for a larger property where you have to push or pull the water hose reel across the yard.
- Hose reel carts: Are also portable but equipped with two or four wheels. This design makes it easy to move the cart from one side of the property to the other and is ideal for large properties or landscapers. You can choose from manual or tow-behind carts too, depending on the actual size of the lawn and applications.
Types of hose reel carts
A hose reel cart may be ideal for large yards and gardens or professional use, but not all models were created equal. Depending on your needs, you can decide between:
- Manual hose reel carts work just like the push behind dump carts, in that you have to push or pull them by hand. These models are preferred by homeowners as well as most landscapers. Equipped with wheels, they can easily follow you wherever you need to water a row of vegetables, lawn or flowerbed. Typically, these carts are perfect for properties up to 1 – 1.5 acres.
- Tow behind hose reel carts are very similar to the tow behind dump carts or garden carts. They are suitable for very large properties, and often employed by farmers or ranchers for their watering needs. Most models come with universal hitch systems and can attach to a lawn tractor, zero turn mower, or even ATVs. Typically, these models are used on properties larger than 1 acre.
Two-wheel or four-wheel hose reel cart?
If you’re a homeowner or landscaper, it is quite easy to understand that a push model is the best hose reel cart for you. That said, you might now wonder whether you should opt for a model with two or four wheels.
- Two-wheel reel carts: Have a compact footprint and are ideal for yards up to half an acre. Moving them will require a bit of effort, as they must be pushed like a dolly or reel lawn mower, but the stability offered by their two front feet makes them suitable to use on sloped terrains. Typically, these carts have a hose length capacity between 100 and 175 feet.
- Four-wheel reel carts: Are usually larger than the two-wheel models, but they are easier to haul. You can either push or pull the cart, as needed, and some of the best models even come with storage baskets you can use for keeping gardening tools, hose nozzles, or other accessories. The main downside is that these carts are unstable on slopes with inclinations higher than 10-15%. Most four-wheel garden hose reel carts have a hose length capacity of 300 feet or over.
What wheel size should a hose reel cart have?
Hose reel carts come with various types of wheels, usually between 6 and 10 inches in diameter. In most cases, no-flat 6-inch wheels are ideal for flat terrains with little to no obstacles. However, if you want the cart to roll smoothly, 10-inch pneumatic wheels are desirable. They are more expensive but are easier to maneuver and provide increased stability when the cart is idle.
Plastic vs. metal hose reel carts. What is the difference?
A quick look on the market reveals that manufacturers build their water hose carts in either plastic or metal – usually tubular steel or aluminum.
- Plastic hose reel carts: Are lightweight and cheap. Some of the best affordable hose reel carts made from plastic can hold up to 175 feet of 5/8-inch hose, which is sufficient for most homeowners. These models are also immune to rust and corrosion, but excessive temperatures or direct exposure to sunlight might affect the composition of the material.
- Metal hose reel carts: Represent a better investment if you don’t mind spending a bit more for a really durable product. You can choose between aluminum and steel. The former is lightweight and rust-resistant, but it’s not as durable as steel. If you decide to go for a steel model, make sure it’s powder-coated to prevent rust and corrosion. Most metal carts can hold 200 feet of 5/8-inch hose or more.
Features to look for when buying the best hose reel cart
Besides everything discussed above, there are a few other features you should check out if you want to make sure the cart you like is the best hose reel cart for you:
- Accessories: Most garden hose reels connect to the garden faucet through an inlet hose that attaches to a water coupler on the reel. Some of the best garden hose reel carts have these inlet hoses included in the package but don’t take it for granted. If you don’t want to buy it separately, check if the cart you like comes with one.
- Basket: A basket or tray for accessories is a nice thing to have. You can use it to store hose nozzles or small gardening tools, such as a hand rake or pruner.
- Design: Aesthetics often comes second when choosing a hose reel cart, but this doesn’t mean that all models are ugly. Some hose reel carts have attractive, vintage-inspired designs, or you could choose a decorative model.
Best Hose Reel Cart for the Money
Liberty Garden 870-M1-2 300-Feet Industrial 4-Wheel Garden Hose Reel CartBest domestic hose reel cart
Brass hose connections and 5-foot leader hose bring outstanding value for money.