Powerhouse International PHI-Platinum Electric Pressure Washer
Best high power pressure washer
Comes with all accessories needed to achieve professional cleaning results at home.
1 Powerhouse PHI-Platinum Review
From reputable brand Powerhouse International, one of the best electric pressure washers on the market. It’s great if you’re keen to invest in something designed to last. Impressive pressure of up to 3,000 PSI makes tackling hard cleaning jobs a breeze.
Better than many gas pressure washers, the PHI-Platinum outputs up to 2.2 GPM and comes with an array of accessories for the professional and domestic cleaner alike.
It’s definitely designed to withstand the rigors of light commercial or heavy domestic use. A flexible hose and five quick connect tips help you keep clean all surfaces, from cars to patios and outdoor furniture.
We also like its universal spray gun and two stainless steel lances developed so that you can annihilate all dirt and grime in no time.
Sun Joe SPX4000 2030 PSI Electric Pressure Washer
Best choice for most people
Two pressure settings and quick connect accessories to address all domestic cleaning needs.
2 Sun Joe SPX4000 Review
Packed with 1,800 watts of performance, you can depend on Sun Joe to get those chores done quickly. It’s strong enough to handle small commercial tasks but compact enough to keep in your home.
Whether you’re cleaning your decks, a patio or the car, two pressure settings give you entire control on the job. Everyday grease and grime, as well as any stubborn messes, are easy to intimidate with this tool.
With the two pressure settings you can switch between a max output of either 1,450 or 2,030 PSI; a feature rarely encountered on domestic power washers.
Like our top pick, the SPX4000 comes with five quick connect tips and a sizeable onboard detergent tank developed to help you achieve exceptional cleaning results.
Sun Joe SPX3001 2030 PSI Electric Pressure Washer with Hose Reel
Best hose reel pressure washer
A commercial-grade electric power washer designed with ease of use in mind.
3 Sun Joe SPX3001 Review
Don’t let this big boy scare you with its aggressive flair. Encompassing manufacturing quality and innovation, the Sun Joe SPX3001 is not so different from our best value pick, except for the design.
It’s powered by the same 14.5-amp motor and outputs a whopping 1,800 watts. Giving high power and lacking the dual pressure setting, this isn’t as adaptable as the SPX4000 to a domestic environment though.
Nonetheless, it packs features that make it ideal for commercial use. Big wheels and handle let you carry it from one place to another with ease. Its onboard reel with 20-foot pressure washer hose also allows for quick and easy cleanup.
Moreover, it integrates the Total Stop System developed to save energy and prolong pump life.
Greenworks GPW1501 1500 PSI Pressure Washer
Best compact pressure washer
Truly compact and portable pressure washer adapts to vertical and horizontal cleaning tasks alike.
4 Greenworks GPW1501 Review
The Greenworks is not the most powerful of the units, but it’s practical, portable, and a budget-friendly solution. It can conveniently be used in an either vertical or horizontal position and reaches a max pressure of 1,600 PSI.
Its 1.2 GPM is enough to fight everyday dirt and grime or restore tired-looking surfaces to their former glory.
A generous 35-foot power cord and 20-foot pressure hose deliver great reach. An array of included or separate accessories can easily boost functionality — a practical solution for homeowners short on money and space.
Best Electric Pressure Washer 2021 Buying Guide
Gas vs. electric pressure washers
Electric pressure washers are great alternatives to the gas-powered ones, but there are more differences between the two than just the power source.
- Gas pressure washers: Are capable of providing higher pressure and water flow. They are ideal to use for heavier-duty cleaning jobs, either in a domestic, commercial, or industrial environment. They are harder to start and heavier than the electric models though. You can find an extensive guide on the best gas pressure washers here.
- Electric pressure washers: Are much smaller and lighter than the gas machines, which is a big advantage for most homeowners. They vary in size and performance from entry-level units suitable for occasional cleaning to commercial electric pressure washers which resist high-volume and heavier-duty tasks. These power washers are also easy to start, easier to move, and require low
If you are looking for a domestic use power washer, an electric model will be a your best bet.
Electric pressure washer cleaning power
Just like the gas pressure washers, electric pressure washers have the cleaning power determined by the pressure, expressed in pounds per square inch (PSI) and flow rate, expressed in gallons per minute (GPM). Based on their rates, you can choose from light-duty and medium-duty electric pressure washers.
Pressure washer type
Up to 1,800
Up to 1.5
Cleaning a grill, garden furniture, other small tasks.
Washing driveways, decks, patios, exterior walls, windows, and cars.
A frequent mistake homeowners make when buying a power washer is to weigh in more the PSI than the GPM specification. The truth is that the flow rate is much more important because, as any cleaning professional can tell you, you can control the pressure at the nozzle regardless of its actual rate.
Controlling the pressure at the nozzle
Controlling the pressure at the nozzle means changing between spray tips and the distance from nozzle to surface to obtain a weaker or more powerful jet. You can use this strategy on all power washers, but some nozzles require higher water flow to produce decent output. This is why the best electric power washer is that with the highest GPM regardless of its PSI specification.
The nozzles and the distance between the nozzle and the surface have an important role in this pressure management.
- You will have to use a small angle nozzle and keep it closer to the surface to achieve higher pressure.
- You will need a wider angle nozzle and keep it further away from the surface to get lower pressure.
Quick-change vs. multi-spray nozzles
There are two types of nozzles you can choose from, quick-change and multi-spray. They are similar in terms of performance but very different in terms of convenience.
- Quick-change nozzles: Are interchangeable and vary from 0° to 45°. The smaller the angle, the more powerful the jet; these nozzles do a fantastic job, but you will have to stop washing and change them each time you have to change the pressure.
- Multi-spray nozzles: Also have various angles, but you switch between them by simply rotating a dial. This one-fits-all solution allows you to switch from lower to a higher pressure as you’re working. Due to this design, they help you finish your tasks faster.
While most electric pressure washers come with quick-change nozzles, most models are also compatible with the multi-spray type, so you can simply convert to a dial style whenever you want in the future.
Do you really need a soap tank?
A controversial topic regards the soap tank. Some surfaces are easier to clean if you use a soapy solution instead of plain water, but this doesn’t mean you need a soap tank on the machine. While this is a nice addition indeed, it’s not necessary.
The reason why you don’t really need one is that on-board soap tanks are generally small. If you tackle a larger job, chances are you’ll have to refill it constantly.
A more convenient solution is to invest in a power washer with a siphon tube. These machines draw soapy liquid directly from a bucket or patio cleaner container, and you won’t have to worry about constantly refilling a small tank. Moving the bucket around can be a pain though, so which type is best for you ultimately depends on your circumstances.
Cold vs. hot water pressure washer
Another thing to decide is whether you need a hot or cold water electric pressure washer. The models are very different in both construction and capacities.
- Cold water pressure washers: Are the most popular due to their simplicity. They are lightweight, easy to use, and provide high pressure. They are ideal for cleaning dirt and grime from surfaces including patios, decks, and outdoor furniture.
- Hot water pressure washer: Incorporate a heating coil into their design, are heavier, more expensive, and need more maintenance. However, they do an excellent job in cleaning oil and grease from surfaces, including driveways and garage floors. Don’t expect them to work at very high pressure though.
Other important features
Other important things you can find on the best electric power washers are:
- Trigger gun: Gives you major control over the jet, and is ideal if you want to control the pressure at the nozzle.
- Dual pressure: It is not essential if you learn how to control the pressure by yourself, but it’s a nice feature for the novice.
- Auto shutoff: Turns off the unit if the water supply is interrupted. It is particularly useful when you’re using a cleanser from a tank or container.
- Safety valve: Lets you interrupt the water supply in case of emergency.
- Thermostat: It is an essential feature in hot water pressure washers, giving you complete control over the water temperature.