PuraFlame EF172B Alice 40″ 1500W Recessed Wall Mounted Electric Fireplace
Best electric fireplace insert
This wall-mounted electric fireplace doubles as modern home décor.
1 PuraFlame EF172B Review
Do you want to transform a dull-looking wall while also adding a practical feature to your home? Then the PuraFlame EF172B could be the best recessed electric fireplace to get your hands on.
This stylish heater is designed to be mounted on your wall without any visible nuts or bolts, and it can be either hard-wired or plugged in – a perfect choice for a home of your property or a rented place.
A thermostat feature and two heating options make it easy to customize the unit’s settings. Delivering the right balance between efficiency and electricity consumption, it turns itself off when the air in the room reaches the desired temperature, then back on again when the temperature drops.
We also like that it’s easy to operate from the touch control panel or with the intuitive remote control. Ideal for a living room, it impresses with its realistic-looking flames. Decorative options include a log set or crystal stones for either a rustic or elegant effect.
Duraflame DFI-5010 3D Infrared Portable Electric Fireplace Stove with Remote Control
Best portable infrared electric fireplace
A retro-looking stove-style electric fireplace suitable to use in all rooms and various environments.
2 Duraflame DFI-5010 Review
Those looking for a retro-style electric fireplace might like the Duraflame DFI-5010. This freestanding unit is as fascinating as it is functional. It doesn’t mount on a wall, which means it’s portable, so you can place it wherever you want.
What we like best is its realistic flame effect and three-sided design that gives you a panoramic view of the fire inside.
The stove fireplace design makes it perfect for most homes, from stylish urban houses and apartments to countryside cottages. Furthermore, it outputs sufficient heat to keep warm a room of up to 1,000 square feet.
Like our best in class, it comes with an adjustable digital thermostat. Easy to operate and energy-efficient, stylish, and portable, this is undoubtedly the best electric fireplace for the money.
Ameriwood 1794866COM Home Farmington Electric Fireplace Console
Best electric fireplace console
A stylish decorative feature, room heater, and TV stand console in one.
3 Ameriwood 1794866COM Review
If you love the idea of multi-purpose furniture and look for a piece to become the focal point of your living room, then you’ll surely like the Ameriwood 1794866COM. Combining the rustic look of a traditional fireplace with the appeal of a wooden country cabinet, this electric fireplace will not only hold your TV, but it will also add a stylish touch to your home.
The console can hold TVs up to 50 inches, while an open-top shelf and two side cabinets add valuable storage space.
This electric heater can warm up spaces up to 400 square feet, while the remote control adds further value. Creating a warm, inviting atmosphere, this electric fireplace is an excellent choice for those who want to enjoy the cozy ambiance of real fire in a smaller living room.
ROVSUN SF57B-17A00 1400W Portable Freestanding Electric Fireplace Stove
Best mini electric fireplace
Dual-mode design makes it possible to enjoy the fireplace ambiance in all seasons.
4 ROVSUN SF57B-17A00 Review
Do you want to add warmth and coziness to a small living room, a mountain cabin, or an RV? Then the ROVSUN SF57B-17A00 could be the best electric fireplace for you. It might be small and budget-friendly, but it packs a punch.
Design-wise, it’s similar to our best value. It lacks side windows, but still provides real fire ambiance. Besides gorgeous, realistic flames and logs, what makes it stand out is the dual operation mode.
You can use it with or without heat so that you can enjoy the cozy atmosphere in both summer and winter. Ideal for heating up to 400 square feet and compact enough to use in an RV, this mini fireplace is the best bet for campers or homeowners on a budget.
Best Electric Fireplace 2021 Buying Guide
What is an electric fireplace?
An electric fireplace is a home device that combines the benefits of an electric space heater with those of a decorative item. However, the main purpose of this apparatus is that of creating ambiance, not heating the room. Although the best electric fireplaces can output sufficient heat to warm up a room, know that you might not be able to use a smaller model as the sole heat source in a living room or family room.
Types of electric fireplaces
Depending on your needs and preference, you can choose from different styles of elegant, rustic, or vintage fireplaces.
- Wall-mounted electric fireplace: In-wall fireplaces come in two styles, wall-hanging, and recessed units. The former hang on the wall with brackets, more or less like a wall-mounted TV. It usually plugs into a standard wall outlet, but you might be able to see the bolts and nuts or the cord. A recessed electric fireplace delivers a more realistic look, as it is mounted in a custom-made hole in the wall. You won’t see any nuts, bolts, or cords, but it might be harder to replace it if it breaks. Recessed units can be either plugged into a wall outlet or hardwired into the home’s electric system.
- Freestanding electric fireplace: With a design inspired by the classic fireplace stoves, freestanding fireplaces come in all imaginable styles. You can choose from modern or vintage designs, as well as standard or corner electric fireplaces. The main advantage of this type is the portability. Not only you can take it from one room to another, but smaller, portable electric fireplaces are also suitable to use with RV generators, so you can enjoy the cozy fireplace feel even when you’re camping or tailgating.
- Electric fireplace console: This two-in-one electric fireplace combines the benefits of a TV stand with those of an electric fireplace. Perhaps you won’t get the most realistic electric fireplace look, but this solution is perfect for smaller rooms. Besides the fireplace, you’ll also get a beautiful TV console as well as additional storage space. For this reason, many manufacturers call this model an electric fireplace entertainment center.
Gas vs. electric fireplaces. Which is best?
If you don’t have a real fireplace at home – or want to replace it with a cleaner option – your choices include gas or electric fireplaces.
- Gas fireplaces: Represent a cost-effective option if you already have a gas line in your home. If you don’t, you’ll either have to build one or plan for incorporating a propane tank into the fireplace design. The main benefit of a gas fireplace is that it acts as a heater, too, so you won’t need an additional space heater to warm up your room in the colder months. However, these fireplaces can get really hot, and they are not as safe as the electric ones.
- Electric fireplaces: Pose no real hazards; there is no carbon monoxide produced, and their surface usually remains cold even when the fan throws hot air into the room – a perfect choice for households with children or pets. They are also very easy to install, and most deliver a realistic fireplace feel. While they don’t provide as much heat as the gas ones, some of the best electric fireplaces can heat up to 1,000 square feet. The only real concern is the electricity bill, but there are many energy-efficient models to choose from.
What is the best electric fireplace? Forced fan or infrared?
There are two major kinds of electric fireplaces based on how they produce heat, forced fan or infrared.
- The heating element of a forced fan fireplace consists of coils that heat up when electricity passes through them. A mechanism draws in the cold air from the room, the coils heat it, and a silent fan blows the hot air back into the room. The system is effective, but the air cools down as soon as you turn off the heater. Furthermore, this type also consumes more electricity than the infrared kind.
- An infrared electric fireplace is similar to the infrared space heaters. This type of fireplace is equipped with infrared lights that radiate heat onto the objects in the room. Not only this type of heat is more comfortable, but it also lasts a bit longer after you turn off the unit. The main downside is that these fireplaces are usually expensive; however, this type of electric stove will have minimal impact on your electricity bill.
When it comes to choosing the best electric fireplace, think of your needs. If you live in a colder climate area and want a fireplace that can act as a space heater, too, an infrared electric fireplace is your best bet.
If you don’t care too much about the heat but mainly want an electric fireplace for its aesthetic value, a forced fan unit could save you some money while bringing all desired benefits.
What is an electric fireplace insert?
An electric fireplace insert is a type of faux fireplace designed to be mounted into an existing, real fireplace. It usually consists of electric fireplace logs that allow you to use your pit without creating a mess in your home.
What impact will an electric fireplace have on the electricity bill?
It really depends on how you use the fireplace and its energy consumption. The best fake fireplaces require 1,500 watts of power or less and have at least two settings that allow you to use them with or without heat.
If you only use the fireplace for ambiance, you can expect a cost of up to $0.03 per hour. If you also want to turn on the heat, the cost could bump up to around $0.18 per hour on maximum setting, for a fireplace running on 1,500 watts. In broad lines, that would turn in at around $50-$80 per year, provided that you would only be using it in the colder months.
This isn’t much, to begin with, and to make things even better, electric fireplaces can actually cut off your overall heating bill with up to 40%.
Can I leave an electric fireplace on all night long?
Yes, you can. However, like all electric devices, electric fireplaces could overheat and pose a fire hazard. For this reason, it is recommended to turn them off during the night. Alternatively, set up the thermostat to a lower temperature during nighttime to limit the unit’s runtime.
Features to look for before buying an electric fireplace
There are so many electric fireplace models available out there that picking the best one could be daunting. Here are a few features to keep in mind before you start hunting for the perfect electric fireplace heater.
- Heating capacity: The main purpose of an electric fireplace may be aesthetic, but you’ll also want it to warm your home. On average, these units are ideal for rooms up to 400 square feet, while some of the most energy-effective models can heat up to 1,000 square feet. To choose the best portable fireplace, measure up your room, then check the unit’s specs before buying.
- Portability: While all freestanding electric fireplaces can be moved from one place to another, only the smaller units are truly portable. If you’re looking for an RV fireplace, choose a small unit that fits in your vehicle, and that won’t have a major impact on the vehicle’s power generator.
- Aesthetic value: Undeniably, the main reason you want a fireplace is for its aesthetic value. The best electric fireplace, thus, should have a realistic feel, with natural-looking logs and flames. Choose a model with adjustable flame brightness so that you can create the right ambiance. Some units even allow you to choose from various flame colors.
- Controls: Whether it’s a control panel or remote control, make sure the fireplace is easy and intuitive to operate. Ideally, the unit should have a built-in thermostat, as well as a timer.
- Style: Last but not least, consider what type of fireplace would fit in your home. A corner electric fireplace TV stand could be a great space-saving option in a smaller living room, an electric fireplace stove would fit perfectly in a rustic or traditional décor, while a wall-mounted unit is undeniably the best choice for a modern home or a large living room.