Best Double Din Head Unit Reviews of 2021
SJOYBRING JOY-D006 Double Din Car Stereo with Voice Control
Best voice controlled double DIN head unit
State-of-the-art voice control and Apple CarPlay compatibility make it the best double DIN head unit around.
1 SJOYBRING JOY-D006 Review
Take car entertainment to the next level with SJOYBRING JOY-D006. This double DIN head unit is easy to control with vocal commands, so you’ll never have to worry about dropping the remote control or distracting yourself while you’re driving.
A large, colored display and the easy-to-navigate Android operating system bring endless versatility. As you’d expect, this double DIN unit pairs with all Android devices, but it’s also compatible with Apple handsets and Apple CarPlay.
Other features include compatibility with front and rear parking cameras, including HD night-vision cameras for safe and secure parking in all light conditions. Intuitive to use and performing, it is an excellent choice for all cars that support a standard double DIN unit.
P.L.Z MP-800 Car Entertainment Multimedia System
Best car entertainment system
Compatible with most cars, this double DIN unit aims to become your trustworthy car entertainment center.
2 P.L.Z MP-800 Review
The P.L.Z MP-800 might not feature voice control like our best-in-class, but it does feature loads of interesting functions. Designed to please everyone, it boasts an intuitive operating system and is compatible with most mobile devices.
A colored touchscreen makes navigation easy. You can use this double DIN unit to stream music, access navigation maps, use parking cameras, and even stay in touch with your friends and family via social media – the unit supports most internet services, including Facebook and Skype.
The unit also boasts preamp and subwoofer outputs and comes with built-in presets and ten equalizer options.
Fitting all vehicles with standard-size rich ports, this double DIN head unit fits most people who want a reliable car entertainment system.
aboutBIT CA-70BT Double Din Digital Media Car Stereo Receiver
A double DIN unit with video player
High sound quality and video support allow you to use it for music and video streaming alike.
3 aboutBIT CA-70BT Review
Are you looking for ways to keep your kids entertained on those long family trips? The aboutBIT CA-70BT could be the best double DIN head unit for you.
Sure, it doesn’t come with rear seat screens, but your family will still be able to stream videos from YouTube or watch a movie. And the unit even comes with a convenient remote control, so the passengers in the rear seats will have no trouble controlling it.
Apart from these features, you’ll get everything you’d expect from a modern double DIN unit, including parking camera support, navigation system, and support for hands-free calls. The operating system isn’t too fancy, but it’s easy to use and functional. All in all, an excellent choice for the money.
BOSS Audio Systems 820BRGB Multimedia Car Stereo
A budget alternative
This simple double DIN head unit is perfect for those who want no-frills functionality.
4 BOSS Audio Systems 820BRGB Review
If you couldn’t care less about touchscreens and colored displays, the BOSS Audio Systems 820BRGB could be the best double DIN head unit for you.
Don’t expect any bells and whistles, but you’ll still be able to use it for hands-free calls, music streaming from your phone, Spotify, or Pandora, and even to listen to the radio. It may not have a fancy screen, but the audio quality is second to none – after all, this is a BOSS unit.
Affordable yet featuring exquisite acoustic clarity, this double DIN head unit is the best for a vintage car or people on a budget.
What is a double DIN head unit?
A double DIN head unit is a type of car stereo that, besides the regular stereo function, also serves other purposes, such as doubling as a navigator or displaying images from your car’s rear backup camera. Modern units are easy to operate via a touchscreen and, depending on the model, they can provide audio entertainment (radio, playing music from a CD/DVD or USB flash drive as well as music streaming from a mobile device), video streaming, navigation capabilities, hands-free calls, and more.
Double DIN vs. single DIN head units. What is the difference?
A quick look at the market reveals that there are both double DIN and single DIN head units. The main difference between the two is their size.
DIN stands for Deutsches Institut für Normung – the German standards organization – according to which, the standard dimensions of a single head unit are 180 x 50mm (approximately 7 x 2 inches). Double head units are called this way because they have twice the height of a standard unit, or 180 x 100mm (approximately 7 x 4 inches).
Obviously, a larger unit allows manufacturers to cram more functions into the design. Both single and double DIN stereos can play music, but most double DIN car stereos also have:
- Capacity to connect to your rearview backup camera
- Wi-Fi/Bluetooth connectivity
- Video streaming features
- GPS/navigation features
Are all double DIN head units the same size?
Yes. DIN refers to the standard sized regulated by the German standard organization. However, many companies manufacture non-standard head units and car stereos, and some car manufacturers also sell their vehicles with custom-made stereos.
What stereo fits in my car?
It really depends on the model of your car. Most vehicles come with either standard single DIN or double DIN slots, although there are exceptions. The easiest way to tell is to measure the size of the stereo slot in your car’s dash.
Single DIN units tend to fit in most slots; even if your car comes with a custom size stereo or a double DIN, there are mounting kits that make it possible to fit a single DIN unit into the dash. However, the contrary is not possible. If your car comes with a single DIN head unit as standard, you won’t be able to replace it with a double or custom stereo.
Double DIN stereo connectivity
Until not long ago, most car owners focused on the audio playing and sound quality of a car stereo alone. Due to the ever-evolving world we live in, though, people are now looking for the best double DIN head unit to enhance the features of their vehicle, with the sound and stereo qualities coming second. What most people want is outstanding connectivity.
Depending on the model, double DIN stereos can have:
- Wi-Fi capability: These models can connect to your phone’s mobile network through the Wi-Fi tethering function or to a car Wi-Fi router and access various apps on their own. Thanks to this feature, you can stream music directly from Pandora, Spotify, YouTube, etc., and even use various Android apps or AppleCar without accessing them from your phone via Bluetooth.
- Bluetooth connectivity: These units connect to your phone or other Bluetooth-enabled devices, allowing you to play music or use various apps from these devices. Most Bluetooth-enabled double DIN head units also allow for hands-free calling, while some of the most performing models even allow for voice control that includes reading incoming texts out loud and allowing you to dictate replies or start calls through voice commands.
- GPS connectivity: Some car stereos are also GPS-enabled and come with pre-loaded maps and navigation apps.
- 4G/5G capability: Some of the newest double DIN head units come equipped with SIM card slots for data cards. Needless to say, these units can connect to the internet to stream music, play video, or access various apps even when your phone is not connected at all.
The best double DIN head units have both Wi-Fi or 4G/5G and Bluetooth capabilities, offering the greatest control and multiple in-car entertainment opportunities.
Do all double DIN head units have navigation features?
No. Not all double DIN head units are GPS-enabled. Some models can use your phone’s GPS or display the maps from your phone on the screen for easier navigation in new places, while others have no navigation features whatsoever.
Music and video streaming
Although fallen in a secondary place, investing in a unit with good sound quality and maybe video streaming options is still important. A few things to check before buying include:
- Audio sources: The best double DIN head units must be able to play music from a variety of sources, including your mobile devices, USB drives, CD/DVDs, SD cards, and should also have a radio function. If you can access music streaming apps directly from your head unit, that’s even better.
- Sound controls: If you want to create a surround-type audio system in your car, it is important to invest in a unit with various sound controls, such as parametric equalizer and digital time correction, to name just a few.
- Preamp output: This feature allows you to connect an external amp to your car stereo and deliver more power to the various speakers and subwoofers in your car.
- Video playing: Some of the best double DIN head units not only allow you to play videos on the main screen but are also capable of playing the video on secondary monitors installed in your car.
How to install a car stereo?
Installing a new car stereo isn’t rocket science. All it takes is a bit of DIY knowledge, then simply follow the quick steps below.
- Dismantle the old car stereo. To do this, you should follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer; if you don’t have them, it is usually easy to find them online.
- Following the specific instructions provided by the car stereo’s manufacturer (which you should find in the product package), connect the new double DIN car stereo to the wiring harness. To simplify the process, you should use a connector that matches your factory wiring plug.
- At this stage, insert the stereo into the mounting kit, then install the antenna adaptor. Mount the new stereo kit into the dashboard as instructed by the manufacturer.
- Reassemble the dashboard if you had to remove any panels to change the car stereo.
- That’s it! You can now enjoy your new double DIN head unit!
How much does it cost to install a car stereo?
It is relatively hard to tell how much it costs to install a new car stereo. Double DIN head unit cost apart, you also have to consider any other system components you might want to install. In broad lines, you can expect to pay an average of $70 per hour of installation.
What features to look for when buying a double DIN head unit?
Despite a large number of models on the market, buying a double DIN head unit is fairly easy if you know what to look for. To make things even easier, here are a few features the best double DIN head units have:
- Steering wheel controls compatibility: This feature allows you to control the audio and its volume directly from the steering wheel; thus, operating the stereo won’t distract you while driving.
- Voice control: While most double DIN head units can connect to your mobile devices, not all have voice control. If you want to start calls or dictate text messages, get a unit with this feature.
- GPS: It may seem unimportant, but a built-in GPS will make it easier to save your phone’s battery while ensuring you won’t get lost in new places.
- Rearview backup camera compatibility: Sure, you should be able to park the car without this feature, but actually seeing the rear of your car while parking can really make a difference.
- Handset compatibility: When buying a DIN head unit, make sure it’s compatible with your phone. Some work better with Apple devices, others with Android, while the best double DIN head units are compatible with all smartphones.
Best Double Din Head Unit for the Money
P.L.Z MP-800 Car Entertainment Multimedia SystemBest car entertainment system
Compatible with most cars, this double DIN unit aims to become your trustworthy car entertainment center.