Best Cordless Screwdriver Reviews of 2022
BLACK+DECKER LDX120C 20V MAX Lithium Ion Drill / Driver
Best 2-in-1 cordless screwdriver
This compact yet versatile tool can address all your domestic screw driving and drilling tasks.
1 BLACK+DECKER LDX120C Review
If you’re a handyman or crafter looking for a cordless drill and driver, check out the BLACK+DECKER LDX120C. Part of the brand’s professional series, this versatile tool comes in handy for a variety of projects.
Compact and lightweight, it’s perfect for fastening screws in confined spaces. We also like that it’s powered by an interchangeable 20V battery that is compatible with a range of other tools including a circular saw, reciprocating saw, and even a pole saw.
Variable speeds and an 11-position clutch make this tool ideal for most drilling and all screw driving tasks. Compatible with a variety of driving bits, it even comes with a double ended one that brings further value.
Powerful enough for all screw driving tasks and capable of drilling, wood, metal, and plastic, this is the best cordless screwdriver drill for domestic and DIY applications.
NoCry 10 N.m Cordless Electric Screwdriver
Best value cordless screwdriver set
A high-value cordless screwdriver and screw bits set ideal for crafters and homeowners.
2 NoCry 10 N.m Review
Whether it’s fixing a fence, assembling some furniture, or carrying out various home improvements, the NoCry 10 N.m is the best cordless screwdriver for the money. High torque and driving speed make this tool perfect to use for most domestic applications.
Compatible with all hex bits, the unit comes with 30 screw bits, including flatheads, star, and even a flexible attachment that allows working in confined spaces.
Simple to transform into a small drill with the right accessories, this unit is powered by a built-in 7.5V lithium-ion battery.
Able to drive up to 300 screws per charge, we also like that it comes with a built-in light that comes in handy when working in confined spaces or low light.
BLACK+DECKER BDCSFL20C Cordless Screwdriver with LED Light
Best for hobbyists
This pivot screwdriver is perfect for most home improvements and driving screws in confined spaces.
3 BLACK+DECKER BDCSFL20C Review
When you need an easy to handle tool for higher-precision projects, such as assembling toys, furniture, or fixtures, the BLACK+DECKER BDCSFL20C could be a great choice. Designed for homeowners, this screwdriver impresses with its pivoting handle.
Compact and convenient, it allows you to use it easily in various orientations. The 4V lithium-ion battery also outputs sufficient power for driving fasteners through wood, thin metal, plastic, and even plaster.
We also like its independent flashlight that can serve multiple purposes, from fastening objects in low light conditions to seeing in the dark.
Smaller than our top picks, but highly performing, this is a great screwdriver to keep in your home or vehicle.
BLACK+DECKER AS6NG Cordless Screwdriver
Best pocket cordless screwdriver
A pocket-size screwdriver ideal for homeowners on a budget but also for keeping in your car.
4 BLACK+DECKER AS6NG Review
You might not be the handyman of the year, but a reliable cordless screwdriver can help you deal with a lot of small tasks around your home. One that comes at a more than affordable price is the BLACK+DECKER AS6NG.
Like our other picks, it can both drive and remove screws thanks to its forward/reverse switch. It doesn’t have a light, but it allows you to use it in both manual and powered mode.
Another difference between this tool and the others is in the batteries used. The AS6NG utilizes four AA batteries; that’s not necessarily a drawback, especially if you don’t plan to use it frequently.
Compact enough to fit in your pocket and great for occasional use, this cordless screwdriver is undoubtedly handy to have in your home.
What types of cordless screwdrivers can I choose from?
Cordless screwdrivers come as a great alternative to the manual kind; they are not only great to use in professional settings; they are a great tool to have in your home. Depending on the intended use, you should choose one of the following types:
- Electric screwdriver: The smallest type of cordless screwdriver, it is ideal for most domestic applications, from assembling furniture to mounting fixtures, toys, hanging pictures, etc. They are usually powerful enough to drive the screws in most soft materials, such as wood or plaster.
- Impact driver: Heavier duty than the electric screwdriver, this type can tackle most tough jobs, such as carpentry projects, decking, or construction. They work in a way similar to a hammer drill, using the percussion force to drive the screws faster.
- Drill driver: From home-use to professional models, the market offers a wide range of drill drivers. These machines are compatible with most types of drive and drill bits and can be used for a variety of projects, from boring holes in wood, metal, plastic, or masonry to driving screws in the same materials.
Which type of cordless screwdriver do I need?
To answer this question, ask yourself, what do you need the screwdriver for? If you need a screwdriver for light-duty domestic applications, a cheap, electric screwdriver is your best bet.
If you’re a DIYer who always founds something to fix or create, perhaps the best cordless screwdriver for you would be a drill driver you could use to both drill holes and drive fasteners.
It is unlikely to need an impact driver unless you need utmost power for home renovation projects or professional purposes. Not only you won’t use the tool at full capacity, but you’ll spend a lot of money unnecessarily.
Which is the best cordless screwdriver design?
It is hard to tell which is the best cordless screwdriver design because each style serves different purposes. These tools come in the following styles:
- Straight cordless screwdrivers: Similar to the manual screwdrivers, these are small tools that can usually fit in a pocket. They are also the cheapest kind and are usually ideal for simple applications or reaching awkward spots. However, they are a bit less comfortable to maneuver than the pistol type.
- Pistol cordless screwdriver: More comfortable to maneuver than the straight screwdrivers, these tools have a pistol-style grip. You can usually control the rotation by pressing the trigger, and some models even come with variable speeds. Sadly, these models are hard to maneuver in confined or awkward spaces.
- Pivoting handle cordless screwdrivers: Considered the best cordless screwdrivers by most users, these models combine the best of both worlds. They are typically compact enough to fit in a pocket or small bag, and you can lock the handle in different positions to use the tool either as a straight or pistol screwdriver.
What batteries do cordless screwdrivers use?
Depending on the size of the tool, manufacturers usually equip their cordless screwdrivers with the following types of batteries:
- Standard AA batteries: Equipping the entry-level cordless screwdrivers, these batteries give users the possibility to dispose of them and replace with new ones when drained. Although you might be tempted to save some bucks on the tool, remember that you will have to constantly buy new batteries. If you plan to use the screwdriver frequently, you will most probably spend more in the long run.
- Built-in batteries: Can be either nickel-cadmium or lithium-ion batteries. They usually have between 4 and 7.2 volts, and equip some of the best cordless screwdrivers on the market. The main advantage of these tools is that they are cheaper than those with removable batteries, and you will also not have to buy replacement batteries.
- Removable batteries: The high-end cordless screwdrivers usually have removable and interchangeable lithium-ion batteries with a capacity of around 20 volts. These batteries provide the highest power and torque, and you’ll usually be able to use the same battery on different power tools including impact drivers, cordless drills, and even string trimmers, pole saws, circular saws, and more.
What speed and torque do the best cordless screwdrivers have?
Speed and torque determine the efficiency of your screwdriver, namely in what materials it can drive screws and how fast it can do it. Since the power of the screwdriver is determined by the battery, those screwdriver powered by higher voltage batteries can spin faster and have a higher torque.
Torque is usually expressed in Newton/meters (N.m.) or pound-inch (lb.-in), whereas speed is expressed in revolutions per minute (RPM).
The best cordless screwdrivers usually have a torque of around 13 N.m. (115.06 lb.-in) and a speed of around 250 RPM.
As a general rule, you should buy a tool that has higher torque rather than higher speed, as it will give you the possibility to drive screws through a wider variety of materials.
What other features to look for?
Other features can also make or break the deal when buying a cordless screwdriver. You should check the following before investing:
- Torque control: Some cordless screwdrivers have a torque control feature that allows you to adjust the force and speed based on the application. It is ideal for those who want to drive screws through a variety of materials. If you plan to use the tool mostly for the same application (for example, for a hobby), this feature might be unnecessary.
- Spindle lock: Allows you to stop the rotation completely and use the screwdriver as a manual tool. It is ideal if you want more control.
- Accessories: Some cordless screwdrivers also come with driving bits. Some are also compatible with drill bits, and you can potentially use the screwdriver to bore holes too.
- Built-in light: A very useful feature when you have to work in confined spaces or low light conditions. Some cordless screwdrivers even double as torches, allowing you to use the light even when the spindle is not rotating.
- Weight: A cordless screwdriver can weigh anywhere between 1.5 or less and 3 pounds. The lighter the tool, the easier it is to maneuver.
- Fast charge: If your cordless screwdriver comes with built-in or rechargeable battery, also check how fast it recharges. Most cordless screwdriver batteries charge in four hours or less.
- Swivel head: Useful if you want to fasten screws in confined or awkward spaces. This feature allows you to rotate the tool rather than your wrist.
Best Cordless Screwdriver for the Money
NoCry 10 N.m Cordless Electric ScrewdriverBest value cordless screwdriver set
A high-value cordless screwdriver and screw bits set ideal for crafters and homeowners.