Best Cordless Lawn Mower Reviews of 2021
Greenworks 25302 40V Twin Force Cordless Lawn Mower
Best for mid-sized to large lawns
A large cutting deck and two batteries can help you tackle the daunting chores in a breeze.
1 Greenworks 25302 Review
The Greenworks 25302 is the best cordless lawn mower if you have a mid-sized or large yard with little to no obstacles. Its 20-inch cutting deck will help you manicure your lawn in a breeze, but it doesn’t quite fit in tighter spots or awkward corners.
This mower is powered by a 40V G-MAX battery and incorporates an innovative smart cut technology that adjusts power consumption based on the thickness of the grass. Thanks to this peculiarity, the tool boasts a longer run time than other cordless mowers.
We also like that it comes with two batteries, a 4Ah and a 2Ah, and a charger. It comes in both a push design and a self-propelled 21-inch version, making it also suitable to use on a larger lawn if you want to finish mowing in one go.
Greenworks MO40B410 40V Cordless Lawn Mower
Best for small to mid-sized lawns
A smaller lawn mower perfect to fit in tighter spaces and easy to maneuver around obstacles.
2 Greenworks MO40B410 Review
If you like our top pick but need a smaller machine, you’re also going to like the Greenworks MO40B410. This tool is strikingly similar to the 25302 model. It offers the same cutting height adjustability, from 1-1/4 to 3-3/8 inches, and comes with a single lever 5-position height adjustment.
It uses the same 40V G-MAX batteries, but it only comes with one 4Ah and has the same 2-in-1 bag and mulching capability.
The main difference between the two is the deck size. This lawn mower comes with a smaller, 14-inch deck, that does nothing but boost the tool’s versatility. A smaller deck sheds off some heft and makes the unit more compact, which translates into higher maneuverability in tighter spaces and around obstacles.
It’s perfect for small to mid-sized lawns, and it usually can get the job done on only one charge.
Sun Joe iON16LM Brushless Cordless Lawn Mower
Still great, but it can’t mulch
A performing cordless lawn mower capable of delivering up to 40 minutes of run time.
3 Sun Joe iON16LM Review
If you don’t care about mulching but would rather save some bucks, the Sun Joe iON16LM could be the best cordless lawn mower for you.
It’s a no-frills machine designed to cut and conveniently discharge the grass in a large collection bag. Its 6-position height adjustment ranging from 1.18 to 3.15 inches even makes it perfect for lawns of all types.
Its EcoSharp technology is similar to Greenworks’ smart cut; this feature adjusts the power for maximum performance and runtime. You’ll get up to 40 minutes per charge thanks to the whopping 5Ah battery.
The mower has a 16-inch deck and is ideal for smaller and bigger lawns alike, as long as you don’t mind pushing it around.
Sun Joe MJ401C Cordless Push Lawn Mower
Best mower for a low budget
Compact and affordable, this lawn mower is ideal for small lawns and shoppers on a budget.
4 Sun Joe MJ401C Review
Boasting a 14-inch cutting deck and no-frills operation, the Sun Joe MJ401C is perfect for small lawns. It may not be as performing as the units above, but it still has plenty of features you may love.
It comes with a 4Ah 28V lithium-ion battery that provides continuous mowing per charge on lawns of up to a quarter acre.
A removable key prevents accidental starts, a safety feature that makes it great for households with kids. You can also adjust the cutting height to the type of grass thanks to the 3-position height adjustment.
Just like its brother, this mower has only discharge capabilities, but it comes with an oversized 10.6-gallon collection bag; you won’t have to stop to empty the bag too often, and you’ll be able to finish your tasks in no time.
Types of cordless lawn mowers
Cordless or battery powered lawn mowers are just a variety of the electric kind, the other being the corded electric lawn mowers to which we have dedicated an extensive guide. However, not all cordless lawn mowers were created equal. You’ll have to choose from the following types:
- Push lawn mowers: These mowers come with a motor that spins the blades for faster and more effective mowing, but you will be the driving force of the machine, pushing it along your property. Push mowers are ideal for small to mid-sized lawns.
- Self-propelled lawn mowers: Look similar to the push type, but they have an extra drive system that provides traction. You will still have to walk behind the machine to guide its direction, but the mower will move on its own, saving you quite a lot of hassle similar to walk behind weed eaters. These mowers are great for mid- to larger-lawns. We have talked about these mowers in a dedicated guide you can find here.
- Robotic lawn mowers: Are very different from both types above, but still work on batteries. These machines don’t have the same mowing performance as the walk-behind, but they do everything on their own. A wired or wireless system lets you designate the area where you want to the robot to mow, so all you have to do is push the start button, and let it go. The robots usually return to the recharging base on their own, and you’ll be able to enjoy a manicured lawn with no effort.
Which is the best cordless lawn mower for you?
Leaving the robotic mowers out of the discussion, the size of your yard and type of terrain will determine which is the best battery powered lawn mower for you.
- If you have a yard of up to half an acre and fairly flat terrain, a push cordless lawn mower would be ideal. A push mower is also a better choice for a terrain full of obstacles because you have complete driving control.
- If you have a yard larger than half an acre or hilly terrain, a self-propelled lawn mower will save you a lot of effort. Depending on the actual size and type of terrain, you should choose the most appropriate type of drive.
Mower battery and runtime
Most cordless lawn mowers on the market are powered by lithium-ion batteries, although some models come with lead-acid. The former is more resistant to corrosion and often equip commercial lawn mowers.
Most residential cordless lawn mowers come with lithium-ion batteries, as these models typically store more energy and hold a charge longer. The two variables to check before buying are voltage and amp-hour.
How many volts does my mower need?
The voltage varies widely between entry-level and top-end cordless lawn mowers, usually from around 18 to over 80 volts. A higher voltage usually means more power, but also a higher price. Depending on the size of your lawn and type of grass, you’ll usually be fine with:
Type of grass
1/4 – 1/2 acres
1/2 – 1 acre
All types of grass
Over 1 acre
The amp-hour (Ah), together with the voltage, determine the capacity of the battery and consequently the runtime. Most lithium-ion batteries have between 2Ah and 5Ah. The higher the specification, the longer they’ll run on a single charge.
Cordless lawn mower cutting swath and height
Picking the right cutting swath is, once again, a matter of size and configuration of your property. It is easy to understand that a bigger deck will help you mow faster, but if you have many obstacles or tighter corners in your yard, a smaller deck could be more appropriate.
On the contrary, a too small deck will keep you mowing for hours if you have a big yard.
The cutting decks on battery powered lawn mowers can have any size from approximately 10 to over 20 inches, so you have plenty of options to choose from.
Turning a heavy mower upside down can be a tricky task, for those situations the best lawn mower lifts were invented.
Mower cutting height
The vast majority of the cordless lawn mowers are designed to handle all types of grasses. However, an adjustable cutting height still comes with benefits. Because gardening experts give ranges rather than precise cutting heights for each type of grass, an adjustable deck height will give you the possibility to cut the grass shorter, so you won’t have to mow too often.
Other things to consider
Besides the features above, there are a few other things you should consider if you want the best battery powered lawn mower.
- Foldable handle: This type of handle reduces the size of the mower for storage and transport.
- Ergonomic design: Either push or self-propelled, it is essential to invest in an ergonomic mower. A height-adjustable handle, soft grips, and easily reachable controls can really improve your user experience.
- Headlights: They come as an optional on many lawn mowers and allow you to take care of your lawn in low light conditions.
- Clippings management: Also consider what you want to do with the grass once you’ve cut it. The simplest models have either side discharge or bagging capabilities, and you’ll have to settle for just one feature. The most versatile ones will let you bag, side discharge, or mulch the clippings, similar to the 3-1 options on many riding lawn mowers and some zero turn mowers.
- Battery indicator: A LED indicator will let you check the status of the battery and see when it’s time to recharge. Another nice thing to have is onboard battery storage if you want to carry a second battery along.
- Wheels: The best cordless lawn mowers come with sturdy, all-terrain wheels that are easier to push and improve maneuverability. Swiveling front wheels can also improve maneuverability around obstacles.
Best Cordless Lawn Mower for the Money
Greenworks MO40B410 40V Cordless Lawn MowerBest for small to mid-sized lawns
A smaller lawn mower perfect to fit in tighter spaces and easy to maneuver around obstacles.