Best Corded Electric Lawn Mower Reviews of 2020
Greenworks 25022 20-Inch Corded Lawn Mower
Best corded lawn mower
Seven cutting height adjustments make this lawn mower perfect to use on all types of grass.
1 Greenworks 25022 Review
Do you need an eco-friendly lawn mower but are tired of batteries running out? Then know that the Greenworks 25022 is the best corded electric lawn mower around. Powered by a 12-amp motor, it’s perfect to use on all types of grass, while the 20-inch cutting deck makes it perfect for mid-sized yards.
Undeniably, its greatest highlight is the 3-in-1 grass clippings management system, a rare feature on corded electric mowers. You can either bag, mulch, or side discharge them, so you can choose either to leave them on the lawn to act as fertilizer or add them to your compost pile.
We also like that you can choose from seven different cutting heights, between 1-1/2 and 3-3/4 inches; no matter what grass you have, this mower is certainly up to the job. Just set the right deck height by simply operating the convenient lever.
Relatively compact and equipped with sturdy, 10-inch rear wheels, the mower is also easy to maneuver. Furthermore, the foldable handle adds convenience for transport and storage. A great value product, all that you need for no-frill lawn mowing.
Greenworks 25142 16-Inch Corded Lawn Mower
Best value for money
A corded lawn mower perfect for properties with lots of obstacles or tighter corners.
2 Greenworks 25142 Review
The Greenworks 25142 comes from the same brand as our best in class and shares many features with the top pick. However, it has a more affordable price, while the smaller cutting deck brings unexpected advantages.
The main advantage is easier maneuverability around obstacles, such as trees or flowerbeds. At 16-inch wide, it’s still wide enough to help you finish mowing in no time. It doesn’t have as many height adjustments as its bigger brother, but it’s still suitable to use on all types of grass.
It’s perfect for lawns up to half an acre, and can be used with extension cords up to 150 feet long.
A major difference between this pick and our best in class is the management options for the grass clippings. With this lawn mower, you can either bag or mulch them, but there is no option for side discharge. However, for most people, this isn’t a major downside.
The 25142 may lack some features compared to our best in class, but considering its capability and price, this corded electric lawn mower is a great pick for most homes.
Sun Joe MJ403E Mow Joe 17-Inch 13-Amp Electric Lawn Mower/Mulcher
A valid alternative
The 17-inch cutting swath and powerful motor make it super-easy to cut a lot of grass in a single pass.
3 Sun Joe MJ403E Review
From first glance, the Sun Joe MJ403E impresses with rugged construction that promises reliability, no matter what lawn care chores you’re throwing at it.
Large, rugged wheels and relatively lightweight construction make it easy to maneuver on all terrains.
In-between our best value and the best in class, it boasts a 17-inch cutting swath as well as seven cutting deck heights. It’s ideal for lawns between ¼ and ½ acres and comes with a detachable grass collector.
Like the Greenworks, it also has discharge and mulching capabilities for seamless management of the grass clippings. Powered by a 13-amp motor, it’s a great alternative to our best value if you need more height adjustments or more power and don’t mind a higher price tag.
BLACK+DECKER BESTA512CM 3-in-1 Compact Electric Lawn Mower
Best for small lawns
A truly compact lawn mower ideal for small backyards and tight, awkward corners.
4 BLACK+DECKER BESTA512CM Review
The BLACK+DECKER BESTA512CM is the best corded electric lawn mower for a small lawn and a small budget. Versatility is its middle name, and this tool transforms from mower to trimmer to edger in the blink of an eye.
You can forget about investing in all different tools when you can have all you need in a convenient option.
The 6.5-amp motor and PowerDrive transmission will help you get rid of stubborn weeds and grass, and it’s even compact enough to fit in tight spaces. We also like its lightweight design, how easy it is to handle, and that the cord retention system prevents accidental cord disconnection.
You can’t expect it to last forever nor to be the most performing, but this is undoubtedly a great pick for a tiny backyard or if you’re shopping on a budget.
1. Corded vs. cordless lawn mower
An electric lawn mower provides an environmentally friendly approach to your lawn mowing tasks, is quiet and produces no noxious fumes. Deciding which is the best electric lawn mower for you starts with analyzing the power source, which can be a wall outlet or a battery.
- Corded lawn mowers: Are lightweight and easy to use, quiet, and powerful enough to handle all types of grass and high-volume demands. Most models are compact enough to fit in tight spaces, while the best corded electric lawn mowers boast rugged constructions that withstand commercial use. However, mobility is limited by the length of the power cord, an element that makes them more suitable for residential use and small to mid-sized spaces.
- Cordless lawn mowers: Ensure freedom of movement and the most performing models are operated by reliable batteries that provide up to an hour of runtime. Some even come with interchangeable batteries that prolong the runtime, are energy efficient and ideal to use in spaces where access to an electrical outlet is restricted. However, the battery adds up to the weight, and these mowers are heavier.
Some of the most technologically advanced models feature hybrid technology that allows you to switch from corded to cordless, and some of them even come with solar rechargeable batteries.
2. Push vs. self-propelled corded lawn mower
Corded lawn mowers come in push type and self-propelled. Both come with pros and cons, and you can only choose the right model by analyzing your needs.
- Push lawn mowers: Are driven by your force (just like reel mowers) and are ideal for small areas covered in thin grass. Another advantage is that they have fewer parts, need little to no maintenance and are lightweight.
- Self-propelled lawn mowers: Come with a motor that propels the machine, and you’ll only need to control its direction. These models are ideal if you have a larger lot or a thicker type of grass, but know the machine will be heavier, bulkier, and will need more maintenance. We have published a full guide about self-propelled lawn mowers here.
3. Cutting swath
Perhaps the most important feature to check when buying a lawn mower is the cutting swath or the size of the deck. This number determines the cutting width of your tool and like it’s easy to imagine, the wider the deck, the fewer passes you’ll have to make to mow the entire lot.
In broad terms, a wider cutting swath can save you time and money; however, this doesn’t mean a big mower will always benefit you.
How to choose the right deck width?
It is said the best corded lawn mowers come with large decks, but if you only have a small yard or a lot with tight spaces and awkward corners, a smaller deck could be more appropriate. In fact, there are a few advantages the smaller lawn mowers come with:
- A narrower deck is more lightweight than a wide one, making the machine easier to maneuver.
- Cutting thick grass is easier with a smaller machine, as you’ll push the mower through less grass at once.
- A compact model can fit into the tight or awkwardly shaped spaces and is easier to drive around flowerbeds.
- Easier to store in a garage or shed, especially if the model comes with a foldable handle.
For residential use, a cutting swath ranging from 15 to 20 inches provides a great compromise between operation ease and convenient storage.
4. The Best Corded Electric Lawn Mowers in 2019 & 2020
5. Mower height adjustments
Being able to adjust the cutting height is essential for the landscaper and versatile for the homeowner. For residential use, this feature gives you the possibility to cut grass at the desired length but also to mow shorter grass instead of waiting for it to grow.
From a landscaping standpoint, the height adjustment gives you the possibility to handle more types of grasses. Below, the recommended mowing heights for the most common types of grasses:
Best mowing height for different grass types:
Ideal mowing height
6. Discharge and grass management
Cut grass has to go somewhere, that’s why you should check the discharge and grass management system the mower comes with. Low-end models may have no discharge management system and just throw grass clippings back onto the lawn. This means extra work for you if you don’t want to mulch the terrain.
However, grass clippings are an essential source of nutrients for your soil, so you might want to leave them to decompose on the ground rather than disposing of them every time you cut the grass.
To solve the dilemma between mulching and discharging, the best solution is to invest in a lawn mower with a three-in-one discharge and grass management system.
What makes a good mower discharge system?
A good discharge system must give you the possibility to choose between:
- Mulching the lawn, which means throwing the grass clippings back on the lawn where they can decompose and fertilize the soil.
- Collecting the grass clippings in a bag for mulching or disposal. An ideal solution if you want to use the mulch in other areas of your property, for example in the vegetable garden.
- Throw the clippings on the side along the walkway for an easier collection and disposal. This solution is ideal if the machine comes without a collection bag and you don’t want to buy one.
7. Mower starting mechanism
Another important feature is the starting mechanism. Luckily, all corded electric lawn mowers are easy to start, but not all starting options are the same.
Essentially, there are two systems to consider, and at first glance, the difference between them seems negligible. However, how the machine starts make a huge difference in terms of safety. You can choose from:
- Starter handle models: Require you to use a key and pull a starter handle to start up the machine. These come with an incorporated safety mechanism that stops the mower if you let go of the grip during operation.
- Starter button models: Also require to use a key, but instead of pulling a handle you’ll have to push a start button. These mowers are easier to operate and generate less fatigue, as you won’t have to keep the handle pulled for the entire time. But this also means the unit will keep running if you let go of the grip, and this makes it harder to stop in emergency situations.
8. Other features to look for
A few extra features can make a difference between a low or mid-range unit and the best electric lawn mower.
- A corded electric lawn mower will never require you to use ear protection but investing in a unit that is whisper quiet allows you to work even early in the morning or late at night. Typically, the noise produced by an electric lawn mower is around 55dB.
- Headlights can illuminate your path when working in low light conditions.
- Check the ergonomics of the mower and make sure it’s easy to push and maneuver, even when mowing around flowerbeds.
- If you have kids, invest in a lawn mower that comes with child-proof safety features. Guards around the deck are also desired, to prevent small rocks from injuring you during operation.
- Not all lawn mowers are compatible with universal collection bags; if possible, choose a machine that comes with it.
- A foldable handle is desired for easier storage and transport. Also, check the weight and overall size of the unit.
- All-terrain wheels add versatility and ensure traction on uneven lawns or wet, slippery surfaces.
9. The Best Corded Electric Lawn Mower for the Money
Greenworks 25142 16-Inch Corded Lawn MowerBest value for money
A corded lawn mower perfect for properties with lots of obstacles or tighter corners.