Best Dump Carts for Lawn Tractors [of 2022]
Affiliate Disclosure (FTC): As an affiliate we earn a small commission every time you click on a link and purchase a product. Regardless, we recommend products or services only if we believe they add value to the readers of our site. Also, read how we test the products that we promote on the site and how our editorial process works.
The 4 Best Dump Carts for Lawn Tractors
1. Ohio Steel 1000P-SD
Introducing the Ohio Steel 1000P-SD Poly Swivel Lawn Tractor Dump Cart!
This cart is perfect for large hauling jobs around your yard, garden or farm. With a weight of 93 lbs and dimensions of 68″D x 40″W x 31.5″H, it has a generous 15 cu. ft. capacity and can haul up to 1000 lbs.
The patented swivel dump feature enables you to unload anywhere within a 105 degree radius for maximum convenience. The handy foot pedal dump release lets you activate the swivel dump with ease. Plus, the impact-resistant high-end structural foam cart bed ensures that your items will be transported safely and securely. And thanks to its exclusive spring-loaded hitch pin with integrated handle, hooking it up to your riding mower or tractor is a breeze.
The Ohio Steel 1000P-SD is made in the USA and stands out as the best dump cart for lawn tractors on the market.
2. Gorilla Carts GOR6PS
Are you looking for a dump cart you can both pull by hand and tow behind? Then the Gorilla Carts GOR6PS is undoubtedly the one. Designed for heavy-duty tasks but versatile enough for homeowners to use in all peace of mind, this cart can satisfy everyone.
It has a capacity of 1,200 pounds, more than enough for carrying logs and branches, debris from the garden, and even construction materials. A convertible, two-in-one handle also makes it easy to choose how to move it. You can either attach it to a lawn tractor or pull it by hand, depending on the load. No matter what you choose, the 13-inch pneumatic tires and relatively light frame will make it incredibly easy to maneuver on all terrains.
Versatile yet resistant, capable of handling heavy loads and very affordable, the GOR6PS is the best value for money dump cart for lawn tractors you can get.
3. Agri-Fab 45-0101
Landscapers, gardeners, as well as homeowners who need a dump cart for heavy-duty tasks, will most likely love the Agri-Fab 45-0101. Designed to tackle whatever you’re throwing at it, it impresses with a load capacity of 750 pounds.
In other words, it’s perfect for transporting sand, gravel, firewood, and even high quantities of fertilizer or mulch. Like the best value, it comes with a universal hitch you can use to attach it to any lawn tractor. Furthermore, an easy-release foot lever allows for a very quick unload.
Another highlight is the incredible maneuverability on all terrains, ensured by the 16-inch pneumatic tires. Manufactured in the USA, this is a great garden cart for lawn tractors both for home and commercial use.
4. Agri-Fab 45-0533
Tow behind garden carts rarely come at a buget price, but the Agri-fab 45-0533 offers good value at a reasonable cost.
It is made from heavy-duty polypropylene on a powder coated steel frame offering perfect scratch resistance. With its 650 lb. heaped capacity, the Agri-Fab 45-0533 is a great tool to transport and dump grass clippings, leaves, garden waste and other debris. Thanks to its easy-to-use universal hitch, you can attach this cart to any riding lawn mower or tractor.
The 16″ x 4″ pneumatic tires are durable enough for rough terrain and will not puncture on sharp objects like rocks or roots. For unexpected issues, the Agri-Fab 45-0533 benefits from a 3 year limited warranty as well as Agri-Fab’s great customer service.
What to Look out for When Shopping for a Dump Cart for Your Lawn Tractor:
1. Dump Cart for Lawn Tractor vs. Garden Cart. What’s the Difference?
Utility carts go by many names, so it can sometimes be confusing to figure out the difference between a dump cart for lawn tractor and a garden cart. Typically, homeowners and professionals use the term garden cart for those utility carts designed to be pulled by hand. These carts may or may not have dump features, depending on the model, and are usually used for light gardening chores.
As its name suggests, a dump cart for lawn tractor is a utility cart designed to be hitched and towed behind a riding lawn mower or zero turn mower. Some models come with dual handles that allow operators to either pull them by hand or attach them to a vehicle.
Another difference between dump carts and garden carts is that all dump carts have a dump feature, meaning that you can tilt the box or tub for quick unloading of the cargo.
2. Utility Trailer vs. Tow Behind Dump Cart
As we already told you, many people use the term utility cart to describe a tractor dump cart. However, there are utility trailers too. So, what’s the difference between the two?
- Utility trailers: Are usually used by landscapers, ranchers, and outdoor enthusiasts to transport bulky items, from huge loads of vegetal or landscaping material to crops and even recreational vehicles such as dirt bikes or ATVs. Typically, these trailers are employed for loads over 1,000 pounds and are hitched to trucks, garden tractors, and other larger vehicles.
- Tow behind dump carts: Are much smaller in size, and usually suitable for loads up to 1,000 pounds – with few exceptions, though. They can be attached to riding mowers or small vehicles, while some models can even be pulled by hand. Due to their smaller size, they are perfect for carrying firewood, hauling rocks, moving heavy tools, fertilizer, mulch, compost, and other similar things around the yard.
3. Do I Really Need a Lawn Tractor to Tow Behind a Dump Cart?
No. Even if the dump cart you like doesn’t come with a pull handle, most models have universal hitch systems that allow you to attach them to any small vehicle. For instance, you can tow a dump cart behind a lawn tractor, riding lawn mower, zero turn mower, ATV, or other utility terrain vehicle (UTV).
A thing to keep in mind, though, is that both ATV carts and UTV dump trailers must have large tires, durable axles, and high ground clearance.
4. What Other Tools Can I Tow Behind a Lawn Tractor?
If your property is large enough for a garden tractor dump cart, chances are you could make use of other tow behind tools as well. Here are a few other lawn mower attachments you might need:
- Tow-behind lawn sweeper
- Tow-behind plug aerator
- Tow-behind spreader
- Tow-behind sprayer
- Tow-behind dethatcher
- Tow-behind lawn mower
- Tow-behind lawn roller
5. Poly or Steel Construction? Which Is Best?
A quick look at the models on the market reveals that you can choose from polyethylene and steel dump carts.
- Poly dump carts are incredibly popular thanks to the durability and resilience of the material. They can resist heavy loads but are lighter and easier to maneuver than the steel yard trailers. They are also water-resistant, but prolonged exposure to sunlight can damage the material.
- Steel dump carts are often considered heavier duty than poly carts, but that’s not necessarily true. The main advantage of a steel garden trailer is that it usually comes with a removable tailgate. Thanks to this feature, unloading is quicker and cleaner. Steel is also unaffected by the UV rays, but this material is subject to rust and corrosion.
As a rule of thumb, if you want to carry watery or messy contents – including soil, mulch, compost, mud, and sand – a poly dump cart is your best bet. For bulky contents, such as firewood, rocks, dry landscape or construction materials, you should go for a steel dump cart for lawn tractor with a removable tailgate.
6. What Size Dump Cart Do I Need?
The best dump cart for your lawn tractor is undeniably the one that has a size and load capacity that fit your needs. There are two numbers to check before buying. The load capacity determines the maximum weight the dump cart you like can carry safely. The volume, expressed in cubic feet, tells you how big the cart’s box or tub is.
|Moving gardening materials, such as soil and mulch||400-500 pounds||6-8 cubic feet|
|Moving firewood, logs, garden and yard debris||500-750 pounds||8-10 cubic feet|
|Moving lumber, landscaping or construction materials||750-1,200 pounds||10-12 cubic feet|
7. Features to Look for When Buying a Tow Behind Dump Cart
There are so many garden trailers available on the market that finding the best dump cart for your lawn tractor can be daunting. To make sure the pull behind dump cart you want to buy fits your needs, check the following important features:
- Quick-release mechanism: Some of the best tow-behind dump carts come with foot levers or other kinds of quick-release dump mechanisms that make unloading easier.
- Wheels: While all dump carts for riding lawn mowers come with large, all-terrain wheels and pneumatic tires, it’s still advisable to check their size. If you plan to attach the dump cart to a riding mower or garden tractor, 12-inch wheels are usually enough. ATV or UTV dump carts should have bigger wheels, though, usually of about 16 inches.
- Number of wheels: Pull behind dump carts can have either two wheels placed on a central axle or four wheels. If you want a model you can also pull by hand, we recommend going for a four-wheel arrangement due to its greater stability. Otherwise, it’s only a matter of preference.
- Maneuverability: An important feature to consider if you want a dump cart for your lawn tractor you can also pull by hand. In this case, check the balance, overall weight, size of the wheels, and handle ergonomics before buying.
- Hitching system: Most tow behind dump carts come with universal hitches that allow you to attach them to most vehicles. Others may have hook systems developed specifically for riding lawn mowers. To ensure the dump cart you want is compatible with the vehicle you plan to use, make sure to check this feature.
8. Best Dump Cart for the Money